By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Octopath Demo, meh

Goodnightmoon said:
Evewryone is saying basically the opposite, in fact even reading the op I don't see how the combat is that bad at all.

I've read a bunch of reddit threads about this topic and not a single person has agreed with the OP about combat. In fact, most of them say that they get stuck and then someone told them to stop doing OP's method and then they won.

Around the Network

totally disagree with the OP, after having played the demo I think it's not only gorgeous but also pretty inutitive in terms of the battle system. You're complaining a bit about having to click multiple times to attack with the multiplier, when that potentially adds a pretty deep layer of tactics (spacing out when to use a multiplier on certain special attacks and when not to wait, how to manage SP, etc.). I love the angle of attacking with different weapons/methods to discover weaknesses too, especially if the game ends up allowing a decent sized party (which I assume it will) that could be a lot of fun to explore in tough battles.

Found the demo pretty easy but, again, it's a tutorial, I imagine the full game will be a bit more complex in some respects 

In the end for me I am digging this game for the visuals above anything else, but the gameplay was solid to me in the demo. Bear in mind the demo is essentially a bear bones tutorial where you learn the basics with limited freedom. 

I'm mega looking forward to it

StarOcean said:
It's made by the people who made Bravery Default, I believe, so to me it's no surprise the battle system sucks. BD had the most boring battle system ever made. Takes too damn long for one random encounter

You didnt like it Star?I felt that it was extremely good.And if battle time was an issue, you could only fast foward the battle.

Anyways, this battle system is a bit different.You do have the Boost system, which is the same as BD in the sense that you can save up actions for later use, but you dont need to defend to save them, rather you just get a new bonus atack each round.

If you have a Switch, I recommend you try playing the demo.Its free after all.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I'm guessing that not many people have played the demo beyond beating the first boss. If you have, you'll find that the difficulty ramps up. There's a whole cave with much more difficult enemies where you need to team up with the other character to survive and you'll need to plan your attack carefully, or you'll get your butt kicked.

Olberic can "Challenge" two fairly difficult characters as well. One is an old guy near the entrance of Primrose's town and another is a drunk woman found in the bottom left corner of Olberic's town. If you don't have a solid plan of attack that strategically times the breaks, boosts, defenses, and abilities, you won't win even if you've maxed out at Level 15 and have plenty of healing items.

I loved what I played in the demo, could be the same reason I loved Bravely Default.

The only things that jumped out is it needs before release an auto-battle feature and fast forward feature like in BD for battles. Also the ability to skip cutscenes especially if you already watched it once...that Primrose boss battle took so long until I got the hang of it...

also why haven't I received a survey yet...

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
For those who played the demo, you should now have received through your email (I know cuz I just did receive it). Complain there dammit !

Finished the survey just now, didn't complain anything at all, just told them I expected the full game to be a memorable one even more than my all time favorite Suikoden II, or basically just surprise me lol.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Roar_Of_War said:
Wyrdness said:

Normally people say OP (opening post/poster) TC is a new one for most people on forums.

Really? Is TC (the term) too old now or something? Everyone used to know it 'back in my day' lol

Back in my day TC was Top Cat.

Mar1217 said:
Sunstrider said:

Finished the survey just now, didn't complain anything at all, just told them I expected the full game to be a memorable one even more than my all time favorite Suikoden II, or basically just surprise me lol.

Woah ! That much ?

Yes, I'm willing to let go of that title for my beloved(melodrama mode). hahaha effing hell, nah I'm just hoping for the best for this game.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Mar1217 said:
For those who played the demo, you should now have received through your email (I know cuz I just did receive it). Complain there dammit !

I'm going to praise them actually... and suggest adding the ability to skip cutscenes you've already seen once.

Signature goes here!

So my thoughts on the game :

The bosses are really hard. I got to the bosses on both paths and died. I didn't like that the cutscenes were not skippable so I didn't redo the boss for the 2nd character. I just didn't get pass the bosses. Of course when I purchase the game, I will definitely not put it down that easily. But it's a story demo so I don't expect much content after the bosses anyways.

I received the survey and the only negative I had was that the game didn't teach that well how to efficiently do combat. Thinking back on it i'd also say that it seems like the female dancer story is a lot better than the male warrior story.

I gave it a 4/5 though and said only positive things aside from my first complaint. I told them that I ope they get a small fortune for making such an awesome game. I am really glad they had a demo too