By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Doom and Wolfenstein II The New Colossus coming to Switch

Im surprised great to hear thumbs up nintendo

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Shiken said:

NBA 2k and these two games pretty much confirm that FIFA is due to laziness.  There is no reason for that game to have cut content.  That is on EA, not the Switch.

NBA 2K18 = 30FPS Doom = No level editor Wolfenstein 2 = ??? DQH1/2 (cross-gen titles!) = 20-30FPS (Switch), 60FPS (PS4) Sonic Forces = 30FPS

Not only does all of the above have graphical downgrades or will feature graphical downgrades but I imagine Doom and Wolfenstein 2 will be 30FPS while FIFA 18 = 60FPS + No journey mode ... 

So who's the lazy one now since EA at least maintained a staple in the franchise with 60FPS while you'll most likely be getting 30FPS in Doom from Bethesda AND cut content too ? 

What is the Switch going to do about 30FPS titles on PS4/X1 ?! (Is the Switch going to get 'Pocket Edition' just like FFXV did ? Even lower framerate ? What change in content is it going to be ?)

A hit to resolution and such is fine in exchange for portability.  Most of your post did was pointless in that regard as I already stated the trade off.

However the only game with cut content is FIFA, so yes EA is being lazy.  I would argu Dragon Quest Heros as well as the game is less demanding than other games on the Switch.  This seems like a bad port if you ask me.

DOOM (level editor is not a big deal) and Wolfenstein 2 however are complete games that look good and a stable 30 FPS is fine.  The fact remains that the Switch can run complete current gen games on the go, which is worth the hit to resolution and what not to those who want it.  Even Skyrim is based on the Special Edition PS4 version rather tham using the assets from the PS3 version.  You are talking yourself in circles mate.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

deskpro2k3 said:
Wyrdness said:

Not really N64 had Goldeneye, Tom Clancy Turok, Southpark and Perfect Dark that all did well, COD sold well on the Wii as well.

the market was different 20 years ago, and no COD did not do well on Wii. the franchise did even worse on Wii U.

If COD didn't do well on Wii, they wouldn't have kept making them year after year. 4 COD games passed the million mark on Wii, which was obviously enough for the ports to be profitable. The Goldeneye 007 remake also sold well on Wii.

Like COD on Wii, Doom is a port of a game that's already made, so it doesn't have to sell multiple millions to turn a profit.

Shiken said:

A hit to resolution and such is fine in exchange for portability.  Most of your post did was pointless in that regard as I already stated the trade off.

Would that include framerate too and possibly differing game mechanics too like we see with DQXI or FFXV ?

Shiken said:

However the only game with cut content is FIFA, so yes EA is being lazy.  I would argu Dragon Quest Heros as well as the game is less demanding than other games on the Switch.  This seems like a bad port if you ask me.

Already not true when we take a look at Doom and we still don't know if Wolfenstein 2 will feature the same content on Switch either ... 

And you don't know what the word 'demanding' means either if you use it in that context. ARK Survival Evolved is the most 'demanding' game on home consoles just as DQH is on the Switch since they have their the least performant of them all on their respective platforms ... (How 'optimized' a title is a seperate matter from most 'demanding'.)

Shiken said:

DOOM (level editor is not a big deal) and Wolfenstein 2 however are complete games that look good and a stable 30 FPS is fine.  The fact remains that the Switch can run complete current gen games on the go, which is worth the hit to resolution and what not to those who want it.  Even Skyrim is based on the Special Edition PS4 version rather tham using the assets from the PS3 version.  You are talking yourself in circles mate.

@Bold Subjective, just as how FIFA 18 won't have the same content on Switch the same applies to Doom on Switch too ... (In both cases you are getting shortchanged but at least EA has some decency in offering Switch owners 60FPS whereas with Bethesda you are getting 30FPS and cut content too!) 

Nobody is denying Switch can handle current gen games (60FPS titles on home consoles to be specific) but don't go arounding stretching that the Switch will be able to handle ALL of the current gen games in their current form and that especially goes for 30FPS titles on home consoles ... (Don't even compare Skyrim to current gen games, that game wasn't even built with current gen consoles in mind like even cross gen titles were so that's even less of a representative example of what the Switch can offer.) 

Alkibiádēs said:

Some people seem to really get annoyed at the Switch being successful and trying to stretch the "Switch has no games" argument to the maximum.

Switch will get even more support in the future, it's not going to slow down. It will have a better library than any other console after one year on the market, I'm sure of at least that.

For me my argument on whether Switch will get games before the console was even named "Switch" was one of sales.

If the hardware did well, then developers/publishers will see the dollar signs and make the effort to port titles across, if it didn't, then developers will ignore it.
And it just so happens that Switch is selling well, making the financial endeavor to port games to the platform a viable one.

It won't get all Multiplats, but it will get a good sizable chunk of them.

Not only does all of the above have graphical downgrades or will feature graphical downgrades but I imagine Doom and Wolfenstein 2 will be 30FPS

We don't know for sure yet.

So who's the lazy one now since EA at least maintained a staple in the franchise with 60FPS while you'll most likely be getting 30FPS in Doom from Bethesda AND cut content too ?

There are a few EA games, even using frostbite that are 30fps.

Shiken said:

To a point.
If it ends up being sub-HD in portable mode then that is unacceptable to me.
I expect about 900P in docked.

To be fair I also think the minimum should be 1440P across all devices, with budget devices targeting 1080P, portable or not.

curl-6 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

the market was different 20 years ago, and no COD did not do well on Wii. the franchise did even worse on Wii U.

If COD didn't do well on Wii, they wouldn't have kept making them year after year. 4 COD games passed the million mark on Wii, which was obviously enough for the ports to be profitable. The Goldeneye 007 remake also sold well on Wii.

Like COD on Wii, Doom is a port of a game that's already made, so it doesn't have to sell multiple millions to turn a profit.

Agreed. COD was obviously a financial success on Wii, otherwise they would have stopped the series after the first one.
It didn't go on to sell 10+ million copies like on other platforms, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a success.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Isn't that a bit of a tall order given the Xbone version can drop below that?

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Don't get me started on the Xbox One. :P
I was referring to all games in general, not just these two iD Tech 6 titles.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

For me my argument on whether Switch will get games before the console was even named "Switch" was one of sales.

If the hardware did well, then developers/publishers will see the dollar signs and make the effort to port titles across, if it didn't, then developers will ignore it.
And it just so happens that Switch is selling well, making the financial endeavor to port games to the platform a viable one.

It won't get all Multiplats, but it will get a good sizable chunk of them.

Even if you couldn't 'port' some games on the Switch that won't stop devs from making a 'specialized' version ... 

Pemalite said:

We don't know for sure yet.

Hence my use of the word 'imagine' ... 

Pemalite said:

There are a few EA games, even using frostbite that are 30fps.

I meant the franchise FIFA itself ... 

Pemalite said:

To a point.

If it ends up being sub-HD in portable mode then that is unacceptable to me.

To be fair I also think the minimum should be 1440P across all devices, with budget devices targeting 1080P, portable or not.

Would a hit in content or game logic be acceptable for hitting resolution targets ?  

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Don't get me started on the Xbox One. :P
I was referring to all games in general, not just these two iD Tech 6 titles.

Ah, my bad. If you had to guess what resolution/framerate do you realistically expect Doom to be on Switch?

DOOM, especially recently, isn't surprising. The whole dabbing incident was an eye-opener. If you are on the fence of Doom I recommend getting it. It started off somewhat slow, but the gameplay really opens up the more you play. I would give an in-depth review, but funnily enough the SnapMap is something I barely touched, and so I can't claim I beat the game.

Wolfenstein 2 on the other hand, was a shocker. It seems that Bethesda is still is cautious, but they clearly take their partnerships seriously. Skyrim isn't something I had that much interest in, but I really hope all their games do very well. Especially DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 if they add motion controls.