By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Pewdiepie Drops the N word on a Livestream

Pewdiepie seems quite a smart guy imo

So I know he is not a stupid racist alt right person as people make him out to be.

One should not use the word but I have and felt bad...

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

the funny thing is that everyone is racist, sexist, ageist etc etc etc

because all these words mean is to identify distinguishing characteristics in other people and categorise them as a result

by calling black people "black" you have already distinguished them as a group apart from white people and treating them differently as a result such as people here "fighting racism" saying its ok for black people to use "nigg*r" but not white people

when you selected your girlfriend or wife you were being sexist towards her because you identified her as female by using her feminine characteristics and treating her differently to how you treat males

when you see old people you generally treat them differently (with more care for example) than you do younger people because of the same thing

it is an inherent part of being a sentient pattern seeking animal

people allow these stupid words to control their thinking and blind them to the obvious

Equally is the delusion that you can use whatever words you want in whatever context, because there a million instances every week where you don't do that, whether it's telling your mother-in-law that she looks nice when you're really thinking she's gained 10 pounds, etc. etc. etc. etc. 

The disingenious part of this arguement IMO is that I think it seeks to "normalize" racist rhetoric ... which quite frankly is never gonna happen. Black people are never going to go back to the 1950s.

Words can offend, know anyone well enough and you can string together a sentence or two that would have just about anyone raging. Racial terms are just an easy button to push in that respect. 

LadyJasmine said:

So I know he is not a stupid racist alt right person as people make him out to be.

Here's a newsflash for you. "Smart" people can be racist. 

Mel Gibson has more talent and smarts in one of his pubic hairs than PewDiePie (a "Youtube celebrity" who's claim to fame is playing video games and acting like an idiot while doing so) does as a whole ... that doesn't mean Mel Gibson doesn't have some internal racist demons that he's had to deal with. 

Soundwave said:
LadyJasmine said:

Mel Gibson has more talent and smarts in one of his pubic hairs than PewDiePie (a "Youtube celebrity" who's claim to fame is playing video games and acting like an idiot while doing so) does as a whole ... that doesn't mean Mel Gibson doesn't have some internal racist demons that he's had to deal with. 

Imo my supposed white liberal friends who are all about diversity and such are then racist when they used such or similar terms in anger and such... 

I know Pewdiepie is not racist because people are flawed and not perfect saints in reality even the ones who say they are against racism.

LadyJasmine said:
Soundwave said:

Imo my supposed white liberal friends who are all about diversity and such are then racist when they used such terms in anger and such... 

Then they have issues with racism. Plain and simple. As does PDP. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
o_O.Q said:

the funny thing is that everyone is racist, sexist, ageist etc etc etc

because all these words mean is to identify distinguishing characteristics in other people and categorise them as a result

by calling black people "black" you have already distinguished them as a group apart from white people and treating them differently as a result such as people here "fighting racism" saying its ok for black people to use "nigg*r" but not white people

when you selected your girlfriend or wife you were being sexist towards her because you identified her as female by using her feminine characteristics and treating her differently to how you treat males

when you see old people you generally treat them differently (with more care for example) than you do younger people because of the same thing

it is an inherent part of being a sentient pattern seeking animal

people allow these stupid words to control their thinking and blind them to the obvious

Equally is the delusion that you can use whatever words you want in whatever context, because there a million instances every week where you don't do that, whether it's telling your mother-in-law that she looks nice when you're really thinking she's gained 10 pounds, etc. etc. etc. etc. 

The disingenious part of this arguement IMO is that I think it seeks to "normalize" racist rhetoric ... which quite frankly is never gonna happen. Black people are never going to go back to the 1950s.

Words can offend, know anyone well enough and you can string together a sentence or two that would have just about anyone raging. Racial terms are just an easy button to push in that respect. 

"Equally is the delusion that you can use whatever words you want in whatever context"

well i never said that we could...

"The disingenious part of this arguement IMO is that I think it seeks to "normalize" racist rhetoric"

you are yourself normalising racist rhetoric... which is my point

Soundwave said:
LadyJasmine said:

Imo my supposed white liberal friends who are all about diversity and such are then racist when they used such terms in anger and such... 

Imo everyone has issues with racism, sexism, ageism and etc to some degree.

From what I notice, people are just better at hiding it than ever before these days. 

and its not only white people either? You know how much anti Muslim sentiment there is among sikh and Hindu indians here...

My point is I judge people on the sum total of things and to me I dont think Pewdiepie is blatant racist but clearly has some racial or other bias in his minds to deal with which I think many people have including myself. 

o_O.Q said:
Soundwave said:

"Equally is the delusion that you can use whatever words you want in whatever context"

well i never said that we could...

"The disingenious part of this arguement IMO is that I think it seeks to "normalize" racist rhetoric"

you are yourself normalising racist rhetoric... which is my point

There's a difference between noticing people have differences and "Oh I guess I'll just say n*gger or deny the holocaust". 

But that's kind of the thing IMO shitty people tend to say because they know they say shitty things in private and could get in trouble if they ever were busted for saying certain things, so a general "well lets just say whatever we want, of course I'm too chicken shit to own up to the consequences though". 

The internet in a way is the ultimate for that ... behind a keyboard it's easy to say whatever, but say that to someone's face. Very different story then. 

"What a f*cking nigg*r"

Yeah, he really used it in a racist way... It's bad

LadyJasmine said:
Soundwave said:

Imo everyone has issues with racism, sexism, ageism and etc to some degree.

From what I notice, people are just better at hiding it than ever before these days. 

and its not only white people either? You know how much anti Muslim sentiment there is among sikh and Hindu indians here...

My point is I judge people on the sum total of things and to me I dont think Pewdiepie is blatant racist but clearly has some racial or other bias in his minds to deal with which I think many people have including myself. 

And some people are just racist. It can happen. A lot, actually, going by human history. Our hope is that we are hopefully getting better as a society. 

What is "blatant racist" anyway? Even Neo-Nazis don't consider themselves "blatant racists". "Blantant racist" must apparently be some magical unicorn. If you ask David Duke, former grand wizard of the KKK if he's a "blatant racist", he will vehementley say no. 

Logically we know racism is wrong, that's why our minds jump through many (many) hoops to try and rationalize the sometimes painful experience when one realizes they might actually be racist.