By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare can they get their groove back?

Xponent said:
betsfro said:
they need to go back to nintendo to get there groove back, they need shigerus advice

Most definately. Rare will never recapture their past glory under current circumstances. I think Shigsy was more of an influence to Rare than he's given credit for.

I think you need to take off the fanboy goggles. The Stamper brothers' groundbreaking graphics technology in Donkey Kong Country is one of the main reasons Nintendo secured victory in the 16-bit era. So much so that Nintendo even put pressure on Miyamoto to make Super Mario World 2 more like Donkey Kong Country.

Unfortunately for fans of Rare, the Stamper brothers jumped ship after MS bought them out, and the programmers responsible for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are also long gone (mostly at Free Radical), so the BK3 team are the last hope for Rare recapturing their glory days.

Around the Network
segajon said:
pdz kameo and the two viva pinata games are the only rare games currently out for 360 right, or am i forgetting some?

Viva pinata: party animals! was not made by rare.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

No because output of games isn't alone what makes a good developer. EA makes heaps of games every generation and most of them are shit, they are not a great developer.

To get their groove back they need to start making quality games again, they need to be getting 90%+ scores.

Rare seems much better fitted for Nintendo because their games seem to attract more of Nintendos audience. Even though I'll buy BK3, I would still rather have it on the Wii. Mircosofts audience is mostly technically advanced games and BK3 just isn't that.

http://www.youtube.com/sweetlamakidsenior .....SSBB, Gears, GTA vids

Sweetlamakid got banned so it's now sweetlamakidsenior

"Good games come and go, but Gears is forever"

@Onyxmeth

That is a peculiar way to look at the situation. Developers aren't extended families it is a quaint notion, but hardly the way the real world works. When someone leaves a developer the developer fills the vacancy. When a team pulls up stakes and sets forth to create their own independent studio. The developer reconstitutes a new team. Were this not the case no developer would last longer then five years. They would eventually run out of staff and run out of teams.

There is no reason to suspect that Rare hasn't filled those vacancies, and there is no reason to suspect they have fewer teams working now then they had working eight years ago. To the contrary it is far more likely with the Microsoft acquisition that the staff has probably increased as they cleared the backlog of portable titles. To make room for Xbox development.

I agree whole heartedly with the latter half of your thought. I think it would be wonderful if Rare moved the bulk of their portable development to providing live games, or to even producing compilations in that vein for the console.