By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare can they get their groove back?

Xponent said:
betsfro said:
they need to go back to nintendo to get there groove back, they need shigerus advice

Most definately. Rare will never recapture their past glory under current circumstances. I think Shigsy was more of an influence to Rare than he's given credit for

Nintendo gave Rare a LOT of help, MS isn't capable of rendering the same level of assistance.

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK

Around the Network

the rare games are some of my favorite for the 360, pdz was very underated in my opinion.

pdz kameo and the two viva pinata games are the only rare games currently out for 360 right, or am i forgetting some?

Yeah, I just don't think Rare can ever be as good as they were in the N64/SNES days simply because they were so good then.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I am betting they are going back to Nintendo. And their first release is for Wii 2.

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Around the Network

i remember the conker on the xbox being pretty good
they lost there shooter team right before they went to Microsoft, that kind of killed them a little

I think that their recent titles have been very good. Not great, but good. As someone already said, the majority of the original Banjo Team is still intact, so I have high hopes for the title. I think that it would be a massive boost for Rare if BK3 turned out to be excellent, but I think there is something more important for the company, and that's Perfect Dark 2. When that game comes out, I expect to be hands down the best shooter I've played since the original. If it comes out and is awful, I would be very upset.

Certainly anyone that says Rare has no talent is quite deluded. I would love to see, PD2, Killer Instinct 3 (which they have already hinted at) and another Conker.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

What we have here is a failure to properly evaluate the overall library quality. How did Rare perform on all four respective platforms. Are you judgments based upon quantifiable data or are you letting your perceptions be tinged by nostalgia. Like the man said leave your emotions at the door.

I used IGN for my impartial comparison. The sight is merely more user friendly, and is considered by most be respectable. What follow are the average scores for Rare by platform. You can use the following link to run the numbers for yourself.

http://games.ign.com/objects/025/025151.html

GameCube 1 game total average of 9.0
Nintendo 64 11 games total average 8.7
Xbox 2 games total average 7.5
Xbox 360 3 games total average 8.4

The data tells the true story. The difference between the 360 and the 64 is one of consistency. Rare has been more consistent on the 360 then it was on the 64. While Rare did bring a fair share of incredible titles to the 64 they also had a few abysmal disappointments. With titles such as Killer Instinct Gold, Mickey's Speedway USA, and even Jet Force Gemini.

Further more if you delve into the realm of flop percentages you will see that across the Xbox family and the Nintendo family the rate is almost identical. Nintendo saw a 17% flop rate while Microsoft has seen a 20% flop rate. So the developer still has the same effective batting average.

The difference between the platforms is minimal being a mere less then half a points difference. That difference isn't even significant enough to not be reversed by a single game being delivered this year. Were BK3 to have a rating of 9.5 or greater. Rare on the 360 could match or outperform Rare on the 64. Which is not inconceivable considering that on the 64 the series averaged a score of 9.5 across two titles.

Too many people answered a question in this thread which was never asked. The question wasn't quality which as I just illustrated was not in the least relevant or informed. Rare never became a shitty developer which is basically the insinuation. They merely became more consistent with their offerings. Even their worst outing on the Microsoft family never matched the utter mediocrity of a couple titles on the Nintendo family of consoles.

This is the question, and it is a terribly simple game. Do you think Rare can get back to delivering more then one game a year to the console market? That is the question being asked can they make as many games for the 360 as they were making for the 64?

Their outing for the 360 so far is 'better' than their Xbox outing if you don't consider that Perfect Dark Zero sucked, and Kameo wasn't very good. Viva Pinata is fun, but it didn't have the mass appeal that GoldenEye or Perfect Dark for the 64 did.

I think Nintendo dumped off Rare for good reason. Perhaps they lost some of their top talent, but I don't think they have what it takes to do anything nearly as good as they did with the N64.

Dodece said:

This is the question, and it is a terribly simple game. Do you think Rare can get back to delivering more then one game a year to the console market? That is the question being asked can they make as many games for the 360 as they were making for the 64?

No I do not think they can. I believe a large portion of their staff left sometime in between Conker's Bad Fur Day and Star fox Adventures and it has kept them from releasing as many titles. Rare doesn't seem to be working on any more than possibly two titles at a time, when back in the early days they were handling 4-5 titles simultaneously. I do however believe some of their smaller games like Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Gold and Blast Corps would equate to an XBLA sized venture as opposed to a full blown 2-3 year development cycle, because there wasn't really too much to those games.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.