By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Sales Ranking - Week 99

Wii really was a monster.

Next up, NS dethrones PS4.

Around the Network

Have I tagged this? I'm tagging again :p

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Wii went into beast mode.

The NS and PS4 will just keep leap frogging eachother. Thats what happens when the holiday periods aren't aligned.

So... where is the Wii being sold?

Around the Network

I saw PS4 dethroned and was really confused, then saw it was the Wii. I remember when this happened back in 2014 it was inevitable. Wii was a monster and PS4 costed $150 more so it was bound to happen early on.

PS4 will have the last laugh in the end ;)

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

GuyDuke said:

Imagine if the Wii was released during this gen - people would be thinking that the Wii would end up outselling the PS4.

Lawlight said:
GuyDuke said:

Imagine if the Wii was released during this gen - people would be thinking that the Wii would end up outselling the PS4.

I don't really get your point, to be frank.

Wii would like to Switch the leader of this chart

Shadow1980 said:
irstupid said:

Never liked aligned launches. It's misleading.

Exactly.  Global sales never tell us the whole story. Differing launches region to region and differing regional buying habits can make a big impact, especially when comparing early-life sales. That's why I prefer to break things down to the regional level. But even at the regional level, there are still caveats. What time of year the system is released, when price cuts are issued and how big those cuts are, stock issues. Having strong early-life sales may be a good indicator that a system is performing well, but frequently fails to be a predictor of lifetime sales performance. Systems all have differing sales trajectories throughout their lives. One only needs to look at the 360 vs. the Wii from last generation in the U.S.:

Launches aligned, the Wii managed to attain a massive lead of about 15.5M units, but that lead declined as fast as it grew, and the 360 eventually outsold it.

Granted, that's an extreme case, but at the very least it tells us that global early-life sales are never going to give us good indicators of how any two systems will stack up against each other several years down the road.