By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Sales Ranking - Week 99

Kristof81 said:
StarDoor said:
Why are you doing calendar alignment for software sales? That doesn't make any sense. Software sales are a function of total install base, so Switch and 3DS are at a huge disadvantage by only having 10 months worth of sales and a single holiday season, when Wii, PS4, XOne, PS3, DS, X360, and Wii U had 14 months and two holidays.

Any calendar alignments in my figures start from the beginning of first full fiscal year, aka 1st of April (I should've added some asterix to the chart), or the closest date to it, as we're dealing with weekly figures. So it cancels all launch figures up to nearest April, which in case of Switch and 3DS would be 1 month worth of sales and in case of, let's say, PS4 four-ish months. As it's calendar alignment, all of those systems have had equal amount of holiday season sales accounted for. The calculation method is simply the sum of software sales from their first April to the date shown in the attached table. 

Yes, I know that. It does not counter anything I said.

Let's imagine that Switch had the exact same hardware sales as PS4, calendar aligned as of week 40.

This would mean PS4 and Switch both sold 12 million units between April and the first week of January. With identical hardware sales, you would think that software sales would be comparable too, right?

No.

Thanks to the differences in launch timing, PS4 sold 7 million units prior to the beginning of its first complete fiscal year, while Switch only sold 2.3 million. At the end of this period that you're comparing, this would put PS4's lifetime sales at 19.0 million, while Switch would be at 14.3 million.

In this scenario, PS4 will always have an enormous advantage, regardless of the current time of year, because 19.0 million console owners will obviously be buying more software than 14.3 million console owners. Switch could have the exact same hardware sales as PS4 for its entire life and it would still be behind in software thanks to the extra 4.7 million units PS4 would have because of its earlier launch. That's why a calendar-aligned comparison for software is nonsense.

Last edited by StarDoor - on 10 March 2018

Around the Network
StarDoor said:
Kristof81 said:

Any calendar alignments in my figures start from the beginning of first full fiscal year, aka 1st of April (I should've added some asterix to the chart), or the closest date to it, as we're dealing with weekly figures. So it cancels all launch figures up to nearest April, which in case of Switch and 3DS would be 1 month worth of sales and in case of, let's say, PS4 four-ish months. As it's calendar alignment, all of those systems have had equal amount of holiday season sales accounted for. The calculation method is simply the sum of software sales from their first April to the date shown in the attached table. 

Let's imagine that Switch had the exact same hardware sales as PS4, calendar aligned as of week 40.

This would mean PS4 and Switch both sold 12 million units between April and the first week of January. With identical hardware sales, you would think that software sales would be comparable too, right?

No.

Thanks to the differences in launch timing, PS4 sold 7 million units prior to the beginning of its first complete fiscal year, while Switch only sold 2.3 million. At the end of this period that you're comparing, this would put PS4's lifetime sales at 19.0 million, while Switch would be at 14.3 million.

In this scenario, PS4 will always have an enormous advantage, regardless of the current time of year, because 19.0 million console owners will obviously be buying more software than 14.3 million console owners. Switch could have the exact same hardware sales as PS4 for its entire life and it would still be behind in software thanks to the extra 4.7 million units PS4 would have because of its earlier launch. That's why a calendar-aligned comparison for software is nonsense.

I too would like to know what utility people use calendar-aligned comparisons for.

Launched-aligned helps with predicting lifetime sales curves and illustrates short term optics that developers use to approve their future projects for the platform (some developers probably even use data for attach rate of the game's genre or series if they have previous entries on the platform).

Oh BTW, Week 51 is on the front page now.

StarDoor said:
Kristof81 said:

No.

I guess I misunderstood your question. 

Yes, you're absolutely right. The software figure will be skewed by the hardware difference. It's very clear during first 12-24 months, but this difference will slowly diminish with time. Is it going to be accurate? Of course not, but it should show an overall image of software sales in whatever calendar period. Perhaps I've rushed it and should've waited until around year 2 or so, or ...

To make it somewhat accurate, it'd have to go with my first idea and instead of reporting sums, report estimates based on actual, unaligned tie ratios, up to target date. It would still be an estimate, but far more accurate, especially in early weeks. That's something that I could do in the future, but because it'd require 180 change to my existing models, it'd be quite time consuming. That's why I didn't do it in the first place.  

But hey, that's for the feedback. It's always appreciated. If there's room to improve, it's going to be improved.

trent44 said:
Oh BTW, Week 51 is on the front page now.

I hear you buddy

Around the Network

Well, looks like Switch will lead a little while longer before the Wii will push it out of that spot in spring

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Well, looks like Switch will lead a little while longer before the Wii will push it out of that spot in spring

In next two weeks Switch should sell around 0.5 mil, where Wii does 1.1 mil, so it will stay as the fastest selling console in its first year, just to be overtaken week later.

It look like by mid April, Wii will have over 3 million units advantage, PS4 around 2 mil and 3DS will be 1.5 mil behind.

Kristof81 said:

It looks like we've passed a year! A decent holiday season and those 200k+ weekly legs maintained the lead. Is this incessant or are you done for now?

I guess my doubts are reserved.

friendlyfamine said:

It looks like we've passed a year! A decent holiday season and those 200k+ weekly legs maintained the lead. Is this incessant or are you done for now?

I guess my doubts are reserved.

Not yet. Next week we will (W/E 03/03/2018). It should stay at the top unless it sells less than 170k units next week. 

As long as I got time to do this, it will continue.