By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Sales Ranking - Week 99

friendlyfamine said:
zorg1000 said:

What makes you think Nintendo is deliberately supply constraining the system? Its a nonsense suggestion.

It's a nonsense suggestion that everyone seems to be making, huh? Did you even see my initial comment when I was tentatively conflicted if whether or not there were supply constraints? I was merely giving reasons as to why it could be supply constrained from a business perspective. I never said it was, at all. All of these were hypothetical suggestions which could reason as to why the Switch had such a huge tank in January besides the fact that holiday season was over. No other consoles saw tanks as bad as the Switch did in Japan either. I've seen subtle evidence that there are stock issues in some parts of Japan like here and many people keep reaffirming on media create that there are definitive stock issues in Japan, along with other English speakers living in the region. Again, I'm not taking the word fully to heart as they could be just generalizing some parts to an entire region, but it seems pretty clear that most, if not all online retailers are also frequently out of stock as well.

I dont think you read my post correctly.

I know Japan still has shortages, the nonsense part is suggesting its DELIBERATE.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

I know Japan still has shortages, the nonsense part is suggesting its DELIBERATE.

I think he meant Nintendo deliberately shipped less, based on what they expected to sell. I don't think he was trying to say that Nintendo deliberately shipped less then demand to make it go out of stock.

zorg1000 said:
friendlyfamine said:

It's a nonsense suggestion that everyone seems to be making, huh? Did you even see my initial comment when I was tentatively conflicted if whether or not there were supply constraints? I was merely giving reasons as to why it could be supply constrained from a business perspective. I never said it was, at all. All of these were hypothetical suggestions which could reason as to why the Switch had such a huge tank in January besides the fact that holiday season was over. No other consoles saw tanks as bad as the Switch did in Japan either. I've seen subtle evidence that there are stock issues in some parts of Japan like here and many people keep reaffirming on media create that there are definitive stock issues in Japan, along with other English speakers living in the region. Again, I'm not taking the word fully to heart as they could be just generalizing some parts to an entire region, but it seems pretty clear that most, if not all online retailers are also frequently out of stock as well.

But I never said that it was deliberately done to raise demand, which usually goes hand in hand. I said Nintendo didn't bother stocking because they don't feel the need to due to the lack of significant software releases. So in a way, it is deliberately ignored, but not for the wrong reasons.

friendlyfamine said:
zorg1000 said:

But I never said that it was deliberately done to raise demand, which usually goes hand in hand. I said Nintendo didn't bother stocking because they don't feel the need to due to the lack of significant software releases. So in a way, it is deliberately ignored, but not for the wrong reasons.

Ok i understand what you are saying now

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

malistix1985 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Dont forget best sellng port of this gen, GTAV. :)

I completely forgot lol, but yes proberbly the best excample of them all, and Diablo 3, skyrim, bioshock the amount of remasters / ports is just insane

Personally I won't buy a ton of the ports, since I own a Wii-U but I can completely understand why people jump on them, they are great games.

Yeah, people that keep pushing narative that ports/remasters dont also sell hardware are deny clear facts, game like GTAV, TLoU, Uncharted Trilogy, Halo Master Chief, Minecraft, MK8D...sold plenty of consoles.

Just in case of Switch effect its much stronger from two reasons, Wii U had very small user base so Wii U had some great exclusive games that only small number of people played, and Switch offers full handheld play for games and that alone is game changer. So people that saying that ports/remasters cant contine Switch momentum (and its not like Switch has only ports/remasters) are wrong.

Around the Network

Holy Mother of Moses, those adjustments and Nintendo's latest financials!
Kristof81, my good man, it appears you've got some work to do.

More adjustments just in, 13.4 million switches now. Hopefully they stop adjusting soon, I wanna see some chartz! :P

There were some major adjustments done in Switch's December figures, by extra 1M units. As exact weekly adjustments aren't available yet (apart from totals),  I've added 250k for each week of December. I'm pretty sure that's what VGC mods done.  More detailed numbers will hopefully come soon. No word on software updates yet. 

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 04 February 2018

Switch is the fastest selling console or handheld so far.

That is very clear.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Switch is the fastest selling console or handheld so far.

That is very clear.

Actually I think the GBA sold a lot more... It was only on the market for 3 years before a successor was announced however. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides