By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The utter lack of western media's reporting on Burmese Genocide is appalling...

VGPolyglot said:
Ljink96 said:
Jesus Christ, I had no idea this was going on. This is just sick. Sadly the US is worried about fighting over oil that's not ours. Conflicts that we could help solve go unsolved because our agendas are so selfish. I'm praying for a resolve for these people.

It's been going on for years, I definitely know that as I remember reading about this long ago.

The conflict has ben reported  Australia for years , the hard part is getting accurate information because journalists are banned fom the area , the last report Iremember before this one was fom the ABC Australia's answer to the BBC , and it showed  village after village in a thin strip along the border that is iirc bounded by a river , basically under seige from buddhists groups taking their land and slavery gangs  with no way out, since the miltary control the only way in and out and turn a blind eye to the mob. 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Its pretty fucking intense. I've seen video of them being beheaded with cleavers. How does it work though? Do the soldiers just kill any random muslim?

mjk45 said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's been going on for years, I definitely know that as I remember reading about this long ago.

The conflict has ben reported  Australia for years , the hard part is getting accurate information because journalists are banned fom the area , the last report Iremember before this one was fom the ABC Australia's answer to the BBC , and it showed  village after village in a thin strip along the border that is iirc bounded by a river , basically under seige from buddhists groups taking their land and slavery gangs  with no way out, since the miltary control the only way in and out and turn a blind eye to the mob. 

I guess minorities being discriminated against is nothing new, unfortunately. The Buddhist majority can especially take advantage of the Islamophobic wave that is currently ongoing around the world to go by much less noticed than they should be able to.

outlawauron said:
Ljink96 said:
Jesus Christ, I had no idea this was going on. This is just sick. Sadly the US is worried about fighting over oil that's not ours. Conflicts that we could help solve go unsolved because our agendas are so selfish. I'm praying for a resolve for these people.

So people hate us because we're the world police or nah? How can you pick and choose who to overthrow. The world doesn't want the US to play that role. I don't see why they're obligated to do so.

Jumpin said:
There've also been about 400 deaths and 1100 injuries resulting from mass shootings in the US so far this year, and that's not being reported on either. So of course the media isn't going to report on the genocidal tactics going on in a non-western country.

Didn't you get the memo? It's only when the murders are perpetrated by Muslims that the media goes into a frenzy reporting about it. If Muslims are being killed, the media doesn't care.

I mean, I don't even know how you can lie about this. I've read dozens of articles about how guns are bad mkay and showing the increase in mass shootings.

I am sure you can read hundreds of articles about what's going on in Myanmar, it doesn't change the fact that the mainstream media isn't taking much of an interest in this. Where is the mainstream media taking a major interest in the hundreds of deaths and injuries in mass shootings this year in the US? The only mass murder things I see coming out of the US mainstream media focus on Islamic attacks in Europe and that racist guy with the car. who plowed through people. I think, other than racial attacks and attacks by Islamic people, the last time I heard of any big mainstream interest in mass murder was Sandy Hook thing, which was like 5-6 years ago.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
outlawauron said:

So people hate us because we're the world police or nah? How can you pick and choose who to overthrow. The world doesn't want the US to play that role. I don't see why they're obligated to do so.

I mean, I don't even know how you can lie about this. I've read dozens of articles about how guns are bad mkay and showing the increase in mass shootings.

I am sure you can read hundreds of articles about what's going on in Myanmar, it doesn't change the fact that the mainstream media isn't taking much of an interest in this. Where is the mainstream media taking a major interest in the hundreds of deaths and injuries in mass shootings this year in the US? The only mass murder things I see coming out of the US mainstream media focus on Islamic attacks in Europe and that racist guy with the car. who plowed through people. I think, other than racial attacks and attacks by Islamic people, the last time I heard of any big mainstream interest in mass murder was Sandy Hook thing, which was like 5-6 years ago.

How do you qualify mainstream media? I'm reading this on NYT and WashPo. Doesn't get much more mainstream than that.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Jumpin said:

How do you qualify mainstream media? I'm reading this on NYT and WashPo. Doesn't get much more mainstream than that.

You're making claims you cannot back.

Don't just talk about it, I'm not taking your word for it. Show me all of these articles about the mass murder epidemic in the US this year. Show me all of this major attention that the mainstream is giving this.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

My Observation as western Societies become more accepting of other minorities blacks, LGBT and etc..

Things are going in the complete opposite direction for Muslims... 

VGPolyglot said:
mjk45 said:

I guess minorities being discriminated against is nothing new, unfortunately. The Buddhist majority can especially take advantage of the Islamophobic wave that is currently ongoing around the world to go by much less noticed than they should be able to.

Like you mentioned the problems been around long before modern day islamophobia  came to the fore , for millenia minorities have be subjected to not just physical but psychological and financial harm and it continues today all around the world and we can't just blame certain religions, because take islam for an example in some instances it is the persecutor and in others like mynmar it is the persecuted , the keyword is minority , the reason we don't see it on the news cycle is multifacited , 1.  it isn't a new development and like lots of things news  has a lifespan and is always looking forward to the next story , 2. and this ties in with 1.  large scale events like the north korea missile crisis and hurricane destruction sucks all the air out of other news events. 3. Just like no one is surprised that regional media concentrates on news that caters to their  audience, so does western media cater to it's audience this means that it's infrastructure and workforce is for  the majority in place in the west , 4. western media isn't the only media and non western media's role becomes important in telling this tale after all it's their audience who are more likely to have a more invested interest in the region.

Back to the buddhist's  taking advantage of Islamophobia , my take would be that unlike a disaster where positive sentiment leads to more donations and better outcomes, this is a problem that the worlds governments know about and who's only real solution is through political mediation and the general public apathy towards these types of localised political problems takes any sting out of anti islamist phobia, Its the Junta's cutting the area off from the world at large that has done more to keep the world in the dark than any western media complacency. 

VGPolyglot said:
mjk45 said:

sorry about this reply vgc playing up.

LadyJasmine said:

My Observation as western Societies become more accepting of other minorities blacks, LGBT and etc..

Things are going in the complete opposite direction for Muslims... 

It's the Muslims that are being persecuted here...