By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cartridges or optical discs?

I prefer...

Cartridges 381 78.56%

Optical discs 104 21.44%

Total:485
VGPolyglot said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I'm willing to pay more for (what I feel) is a better experience. If a game is $39.99 digitally and $59.99 physically, I'm paying $59.99 100% of the time because I love physically owning my games. The same goes for carts. If I had to pay a $10.00 premium to have a cart instead of a disc, I'm going to pay it. 

I'm not just talking $10 though, say for the PS1 vs. N64 games the N64 version is usually a lot more.

Yeah, but how many games were on both systems that were any good? I had both back in the day and can't remember having to make that decision. Games like Resident Evil and Tony Hawk played better on PS1, so I got them there. My N64 was mostly for exclusives.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
VGPolyglot said:

I'm not just talking $10 though, say for the PS1 vs. N64 games the N64 version is usually a lot more.

Yeah, but how many games were on both systems that were any good? I had both back in the day and can't remember having to make that decision. Games like Resident Evil and Tony Hawk played better on PS1, so I got them there. My N64 was mostly for exclusives.

There were quite a few actually. Not sure what you'd consider "any good" though, as that's subjective.

VGPolyglot said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

There were quite a few actually. Not sure what you'd consider "any good" though, as that's subjective.

Which ones? Resident Evil and Tony Hawk are the only two that come to mind. When I think of N64, it's Zelda, Mario, 007, Perfect Dark, Banjo, DK64, Rouge Squadron, Paper Mario, SSB... all exclusives. I'm trying to think of examples of games that were AAA and that released same day and date between PS1 and N64 and can't think of any.

Cartridges since they are smaller and faster

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Catridges, a lot quicker to pop and switch out.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
VGPolyglot said:

Which ones? Resident Evil and Tony Hawk are the only two that come to mind. When I think of N64, it's Zelda, Mario, 007, Perfect Dark, Banjo, DK64, Rouge Squadron, Paper Mario, SSB... all exclusives. I'm trying to think of examples of games that were AAA and that released same day and date between PS1 and N64 and can't think of any.

Spider-Man

WWF War Zone/Attitude

007: The World is Not Enough (though the games were completely different)

Robotron 64 (again a bit different from Robotron 2084)

Destruction Derby 64

Wipeout 64

Quake (Saturn-N64)

Quake II

Duke Nukem 64

Fighting Force 64

Glover

Rayman 2

San Francisco Rush 2049

Shadow Man

Nightmare Creatures

Vigilante 8 and Vigilante 8: Second Offensive

I may have missed some. Of course, as I said earlier you may consider some of these games to be bad.

I rather them just go to normal sized USB sticks. Between cartridges and discs, I'll go with discs because they can be repaired and it's cheaper.

Soundwave said:

I've never honestly given a shit. I want to play the game, I don't care what the box art is or what the format is once I hit start. However the moment a medium starts to limit what a game can do, that's where I have a problem with it. 

All I know is this bullshit basically handed the entire console market to Sony for essentially no good reason and for that reason I dislike it becoming an issue.

This format nonsense ended the NES/SNES era, and IMO that was the most glorious intersection of great 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party support on any platform, and I will always be a little bitter over that because we will probably never have that ever again. 

Don't agree with the bolded part.....actually don't agree with most of what you said.... even though I agree with your general message.

"This format nonsense" isn't actually nonsense. And you pretty much said it yourself; "starts to limit what a game can do".  And it was soooo not nonsense that as you said also.... albeit in a weird way, ended up handing the console market over to sony.

And that glorious intersection you mentioned..... I like to think I am the sort that would give credit where credit is due. So as I would admit that MS did wonders for onne gaming as far as consoles go, I think its also safe to aknowlegde that when it comes to 1st, 2nd and 3rd party support (especially the third party part) none of the big three can touch playstation consoles. I started off with the snes and nes and all.... and there will always be that soft nostalgic spot for them in my heart, but the PS1 and PS2 did more for gaming than the snes or nes ever did. 

To OP..... how about a third option? Digital? I mean as it stands right now even discs are more like hybrids. Everything is offloaded onto an internal drive even if the disc is in the console. For me I look at discs today as nothing but a delivery medium, which I will only use when I can't use my preferred delivery medium which is the internet.

And I feel an internal drive offers more and bettr of everything that discs or cartridges can offer.... especially when we consider where they are going. Chances are we would be using m.2 SSDs capable of speeds upwards of 2GB/s by the time the next generation of consoles come along. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

I don't like how small and insubstantial the carts are. Loading times aside, which is easily fixed with loading the the game to the hard drive anyway, I really find no value of carts over standard discs.

I don't do portable gaming anymore since it basically completely sucks now when compared to gaming on consoles and on PC.

I collect games.  So the packaging, the media, how long the game will last, all matter.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Whichever one Final Fantasy VII can fit on.