By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS Rant - Three Points I don't understand

Re: Price cuts - I think there are some excellent points here already, but I also have to wonder if MS isn't afraid of selling the 360 Pro at or below Wii's price point and then still being outsold by a 'last-gen/inferior' system.

Bundles - Not bundling GTA doesn't surprise me, it was not bundling Halo 3 that shocked me. Not even with the Halo 360 (or whatever they called the ugly beast). I mean WTF was with that?

European prices - Didn't they just cut the price in Europe? Not that it helped much...

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
European prices - Didn't they just cut the price in Europe? Not that it helped much...

Actually, it helped a bunch. The 360 was ~50k a week in Others and has since done 61k, 94k, 91k, and 75k since the price drop.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

some companies in the USA bring their products to europe and when you would calculate the price to US $ you will clearly see the europeans get to pay more, sometimes even double (or more) the money. This is because there is not anything to forbid such a thing. there is no trade agreement between the EU and USA to coordinate these things. (simply because USA fills its pockets with these things, which is my opinion) Microsoft is one of those companies (even though their 'windows xp and vista' show it somewhat more clearly. Profit is all that matters to most comapnies and when there is such a possibility, you simply take it (when it wouldn't affect your company badly)

PabloV said:
some companies in the USA bring their products to europe and when you would calculate the price to US $ you will clearly see the europeans get to pay more, sometimes even double (or more) the money. This is because there is not anything to forbid such a thing. there is no trade agreement between the EU and USA to coordinate these things. (simply because USA fills its pockets with these things, which is my opinion) Microsoft is one of those companies (even though their 'windows xp and vista' show it somewhat more clearly. Profit is all that matters to most comapnies and when there is such a possibility, you simply take it (when it wouldn't affect your company badly)

Don't we have to thank the E.U's wonderful VAT for increase in prices, rather than Capitalism?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

One of the thing that is hurting Microsoft in my view too is they are starting to lack hype for future titles.

They still have a very good list of games coming this year but there isn't much visibility for the years after.(or if there are big titles announced for 2009 I haven't heard of them..)

On the PS3 side the fact that major titles haven't come out yet did hurt the PS3 at the beginning but now that the console is starting to sell people can look forward to the future and know that some of the biggest titles are yet to come ( FF, GT5, GoW, and a slouch of others Sony owned IP which while not being so big should still satisfy their fans ( Getaway, Shadow of the Colossus,...)

So what PS3 buyers see is that they will be supported well in the next years, Microsoft has however failed in my view to deliver such a message ( and the occasional rumors about an Xbox720 in 2010 or so don't help their case at all).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
jman8 said:
@ TheRealMafoo: "MS does not reduce the cost of the 360 because it does not cost that much less to make today than it did when they release it."

I'm willing to bet production costs per system have dropped more than you think. The problem is that MS set aside $1billion for RROD repairs. In other words, for every system MS has sold so far, $50 have been set aside to repair said systems. There goes your price cut Gebx.

I consider that as part of the cost of the unit.

So for example, if the cost of shipping, labor, and replacement parts is $100 for each and 30% of them fail, you have to add $30 to every unit sold.

gebx said:

Sometimes I think MS has their heads so far up their ass's that they wouldn't know if they should crap out of their ass's or their mouths...

1) Price cuts - Where is the NA Price Cut? its April, a couple weeks before GTA IV and no news or rumours of price cuts on the horizon.. and since MS sucks at keeping secrets this basically means that there is no price cuts on the horizon.

So lets compare Sony's price cuts vs. MS's Price cuts - $200 vs. $50... Woah MS! That's really impressive for a system thats been out a year longer!! <--sarcasm

2) Bundles (GTA IV) - Let's spend $50 million dollars on extra content, but lets not bundle the game with the console because that would be too intelligent... WTF MS?? How dumb are you people.. But then what else could you expect from the same people who sold a Halo 3 Sku WITHOUT THE FREAKING GAME!!

3) European Prices - Hey "European Pricing Dude"!!! Buy a Calculator and look up CONVERSION RATES.. you crazy bastard...

/rant

Ah I feel better..

But seriously, what the hell is wrong with MS, I'm really starting to believe that they're trying to lose this console race. Why so much time in between price cuts? All their doing is giving more time to Sony to lower their production cost and letting them keep up with any MS price cuts.

1- Maybe there will still be one.

2- Same here.

3- You didn't think this one through. After the price cuts, the European prices are around the same as USA's prices. To make it clear:

360 Arcade - 200 € vs $280. Take out typical 20% tax from the European price, and you have the European price being $20 less.

360 Premium - 270 € vs $350, or basically equal price after tax is removed.

360 Elite - 365 € vs $450, the Elite is $30 more in Europe after tax is removed.

This is another reason why I think Microsoft will do a price cut in USA before GTA4 - it seems very strange to me that their consoles are around the same prices in Europe, which is a kind of a first. If they don't cut their prices, it really means that they're focusing on not losing any more money.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

gebx said:

Sometimes I think MS has their heads so far up their ass's that they wouldn't know if they should crap out of their ass's or their mouths...

1) Price cuts - Where is the NA Price Cut? its April, a couple weeks before GTA IV and no news or rumours of price cuts on the horizon.. and since MS sucks at keeping secrets this basically means that there is no price cuts on the horizon.

So lets compare Sony's price cuts vs. MS's Price cuts - $200 vs. $50... Woah MS! That's really impressive for a system thats been out a year longer!! <--sarcasm

2) Bundles (GTA IV) - Let's spend $50 million dollars on extra content, but lets not bundle the game with the console because that would be too intelligent... WTF MS?? How dumb are you people.. But then what else could you expect from the same people who sold a Halo 3 Sku WITHOUT THE FREAKING GAME!!

3) European Prices - Hey "European Pricing Dude"!!! Buy a Calculator and look up CONVERSION RATES.. you crazy bastard...

/rant

Ah I feel better..

But seriously, what the hell is wrong with MS, I'm really starting to believe that they're trying to lose this console race. Why so much time in between price cuts? All their doing is giving more time to Sony to lower their production cost and letting them keep up with any MS price cuts.

1) I'm sure they want to hold off on a price-cut in their strongest region for as long as possible.

2) I doubt they even considered Sony would do this.

3) Conversion rates don't translate that way.

maybe that is why microsoft are really pushing the dlc for gta. they are probably trying to soften the blow of the ps3 bundle.

those are three extremely valid points.

1. I agree fully WTF is with the price cuts, or lack thereof? should be at least $300 now, not $350

2. Once again I agree. You buy the extra content which was smart, but with the PS3 bundling GTA4 sales of the game could be extrememly close!

3. I'm not sure about prices in EU so i'll leave this one to you.

great post.

9.5/10