By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Switch is doing great because it's handheld"

Jranation said:
Here in Australia:
3DS Launched at $250 then to $199
Wii U Launched at $350 (Basic) and $430 (Deluxe)

Now we have the Switch at $470
Almost double the 3DS Launch Price. That is not a handheld price.

I think that says more about the falling AUD

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

It's an easy excuse to dismiss its dominance in certain realms of the home console market. Due to its hybrid nature, people will mold the Switch to form whatever notion they need it to in order to fit their idea of something being a "winner."

It seems my sentiment from Carl's thread has spread.

RolStoppable said:
Azuren said:

Oh, so we're playing "no u"?

Nope.

This thread is a reaction to posts of the likes of Lawlight and Kerotan in the thread about Kotaku's article regarding Switch vs. PS4 sales in Japan. The real problem, a.k.a. the core issue, is not any kind of argument per se, but the motivation behind the posts. It's about the people.

If you want to call someone out, then do that instead of setting up a strawman. Don't pretend it's a mass sentiment amongst a group of people when it's a handful of people you don't like stating known facts in a way that triggers you.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

I never said that Switch isnt handheld also, again it's handheld and home console in same time, hybrid. Again, but 3DS didn't sell at $250 price because its to high and Nintendo needed to make very fast huge price cut because of that.

Fact is that Switch games have home console price point, and 3DS dont, you can't spin that.

Like you wrote, 3DS and any other hadheld had cartridges (but Switch/3DS/DS are using flash memory that are much cheaper compared to real past cartridges), and yet Switch game price are 33% more expansive. Like I wrote, why Switch games have AAA price point of home console, because obvious they are full home console AAA games that run at full home console mode.

If 3DS sold well or not at 250 is irrelevant; how long it took them to lower the price, likewise.
What matters is that it was first priced at 250.

Yeah, Switch games are priced like they were Wii U games.
You completely ignore that dev costs went up and cartridge costs went up aswell. And that isn't spin?

So while you say that they are "full console AAA games", instead of taking into consideration that those games automatically mean an increase in cost over 3DS games, you just ignore your own argument, because... Nintendo's view on Switch?
If you are going to say they are X type of games, than, in coherence, you have to say they have X type of dev costs.

DS and 3DS having cartridge games doesn't mean costs didn't go up for Switch cartridges.
Actually, seeing as Switch cartridges are bigger, it's only natural Nintendo/others pay more per cartridge.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/03/14/the-cost-of-nintendo-switch-cartridges-could-hurt-its-third-party-support/#779289c879d1
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-10-why-nintendo-switch-games-are-ending-up-more-expensive

Dev costs and cartridge prices probably had a bigger role on SW price for Switch, than you think.

Yes its relevant because it proves that handheld with price point of $250 dont sell. In any case Switch has price point than that.

Dev costs are going up with every new gen, but we don't see AAA games are getting $70, $80 or $90 price point, they are still $60 like they always were. Difference between disk and flash memory cards is not big.

Lol, Switch games doesn't have nothing with 3DS games, costs actually went up even compared to Wii U games and prices remain same.

If dev costs and cartridges price have big roll on SW price, we would have price of Switch AAA games above Wii U AAA games (over $60) not on same level, despite fact Switch games are more advance and has "cartridges" compared to Wii U games.

pokoko said:
I am kind of speechless that people are being defensive over this, of all things. It's like getting angry because someone says that being a home console helps the PS4 in North America.

The amusing thing is that pretty much every multiplat thread made on these forums is quickly filled with comments like, "I want the Switch version so I can play on the go."

Is portability a major advantage to selling well in Japan? Yes, it is. Is being a portable Nintendo console a major advantage to selling well in Japan? Yes, it is. I'm sorry, I know that's a bitter pill to swallow.

As far as the 3DS goes, that was obviously over-priced and everyone knew it from the start. The hardware was not worth the price and the gimmick obviously was not. I also seem to remember only die-hard Nintendo fans getting excited over it's launch games. The situations are not identical.

The difference here is that portability is a factor, not the sole offering. People claiming the Switch is a handheld are locking it into the handheld category for their own reasons, not because its "portability is a major advantage." The Switch is both a home console and a handheld. Nintendo even considers it their home console, but one with handheld properties.

The PS4 comparison is not one-in-the-same because the PS4 is only a home console and nothing else.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Azuren said:

If you want to call someone out, then do that instead of setting up a strawman. Don't pretend it's a mass sentiment amongst a group of people when it's a handful of people you don't like stating known facts in a way that triggers you.

Your post struck me as oddly defensive, so I took another look at Carl's thread. You are one of those people this thread really should be about.

So because I took the time to explain why being part handheld benefits the Switch in a country where handhelds dominate, I'm a problem, right?

And it couldn't be that you're just biased in favor of Nintendo. Forget the ingenious marketing strategy of having your cake and eating it too that the Switch embodies between the handheld and home markets. It's clear that Nintendo didn't actually think that through thoroughly and just released a hybrid console for shits and giggles.

I mean, it IS true.

Nothing wrong with that. Nintendo is good at handhelds, and the Switch covers the handheld part perfectly.

bonzobanana said:
I suppose a huge number of portable products are also hybrids if they can connect to a tv and use wireless controllers or even wired controllers.

What if its a portable product using wireless display in the future which is a real possibility for a future Switch that has no dock or hdmi cable but may still have removable controllers and people happily use on their main tv like the original Switch. Will that model cease to be a hybrid system?

I have no problem with the definition of being a hybrid its just it clearly excels as a portable in performance terms but is very, very weak as a home console. Is any level of performance acceptable for the home console side as long as it works with a tv. Do those NES game players that also link to TV's qualify as hybrids?

If I use a windows tablet connected to a tv via hdmi and a bluetooth gaming controller is that a hybrid gaming system? It's setup to go faster when plugged into the mains but goes into a more battery friendly performance mode when on its battery. I can play a huge number of PC games on it, some natively and some by streaming from main pc elsewhere in the house. It also sits on a little dock.

I guess my point is there are many hybrid gaming systems as well as Switch going by the definition given by many here. Is my chromebook a hybrid gaming system too. It runs android games and can use a bluetooth controller and has tv output both a physical hdmi port and wireless display support. Same is true for a windows laptop and PC games.

Many portable systems have more performance when connected to the mains.

It feels to me that unless a device can offer comparable performance to a dedicated home console the use of the word hybrid is more marketing than reality because there are already a huge number of portable devices that can perform to a low level when connected to televisions in addition to portable use. You just aren't going to get the true home console experiences on a Switch that require a very large amount of storage and memory.

Hybrid laptops are better at being tablets than laptops, but they still do both things effectively.

The majority are hilariously weak as a laptop, but as a tablet the specs are fine. Would something like a Lenova Yoga not be a hybrid to you?

monocle_layton said:
I mean, it IS true.

Nothing wrong with that. Nintendo is good at handhelds, and the Switch covers the handheld part perfectly.

I think a lot of users (see: like, four) are getting triggered by this because they perceive it as some kind of attack on Nintendo rather than an observation of fact. I think they would be significantly less upset if we added an "also" in there, like so:

"Switch is doing great in Japan because it is also a handheld."

Azuren said:
monocle_layton said:
I mean, it IS true.

I think a lot of users (see: like, four) are getting triggered by this because they perceive it as some kind of attack on Nintendo rather than an observation of fact. I think they would be significantly less upset if we added an "also" in there, like so:

"Switch is doing great in Japan because it is also a handheld."

Yeah, I see no reason why this should upset them. I wonder if they dislike it when people say the Wii did well because it was a casual console