By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK retail running out of GTA IV

BKK2 said:

Rock_on_2008 said:

notice how Wii is doubling the competition in console sales and software sales are triple those of its competition.

No, I've never noticed that.

UK February Charts:

FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (units)

Wii - 21.3%
DS - 19.8%
Xbox 360 - 18.4%
PS3 - 17.1%

PC - 15.2%
PS2 - 4.1%
PSP - 3.8%
Mac - 0.3%

Link

Oops I am referring to the world wide market sorry not just the UK market

Around the Network

The article is about UK sales of GTA4, not US sales of the game. GTA4 will probably sell more software on 360 in UK too, but that doesn't mean it will sell more hardware.

BKK2 said:
The article is about UK sales of GTA4, not US sales of the game. GTA4 will probably sell more software on 360 in UK too, but that doesn't mean it will sell more hardware.

Sorry I was talking about software sales only. I do not care much about hardware sales. If thats the case Wii is well ahead of PS3 and 360.

The PS3 version sold out on Amazon on Monday (perhaps over the weekend) after being at Number 1 on the bestsellers for a long while. Looks like it's back again now, may take over the 360 version again soon.

I'm a little scared that by the time I get some money at the end of the week, they'll all be gone on other sites.

Yeah, this game is going to be a monster in UK, get it whilst you can. :)

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
kingofwale said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
kingofwale said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
the biggest outlay is the price for a new console if the 360 is a lot cheaper people will buy that. cheaper consoles have an advantage, notice how Wii is doubling the competition in console sales and software sales are triple those of its competition.

You do realize that nobody (I mean, NOBODY) buys a console for just one game, right?

Customer walks in, wanting to buy a console and GTAIV, they see the big GT5P poster on the way. You tell me, what do you think is going to happen? ;)

GT 5 P i repeat is a demo, a demo wait for the full game GT 5. BTW racing games are so boring you drive around a track lap after lap. Arcade racers like Need for Speed and Burnout games receive lower scores but are more fun to play than racing sims like GT and Forza.

Ok the UK market is different to the US market where people will buy the cheaper console for the same GTA 4 experience.

you clearly don't understand the European market at all. Just because you don't like GT5P and realistic racing at all, it doesn't mean the European consumers don't, In fact, watch GT5P sales number and you will find out all.

American sales numbers will tell a different story expect GTA 4 will sell over double on the 360 than the PS3 in Americas only. Anyway Europeans must be used to getting ripped off by what I have heard the PS3 is the console that gets the most advertising. The Wii numbers should be a lot higher by the way I like Nintendo more than any other company.

Isnt that just stating the obvious? Its a matter of pure numbers, 360 has over double the install base of the PS3 in America. 

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Rock_on_2008 said:

GT 5 P i repeat is a demo, a demo wait for the full game GT 5. BTW racing games are so boring you drive around a track lap after lap. Arcade racers like Need for Speed and Burnout games receive lower scores but are more fun to play than racing sims like GT and Forza.

Ok the UK market is different to the US market where people will buy the cheaper console for the same GTA 4 experience.

ROTFL :) this game have more stuff then NFS PS and have more fun. 

End of 2k9

PS3 - 28,000,000

XO - 34,000,000

GT:ProChaoS360

The PS3 has no real uber-game for these retail stores to compare to - what, exactly, has been the best selling Playstation 3 game in Europe? Many games have done well, but none, and I repeat NONE are near GTAIV on the PS3, thus far.

However, from an objective standpoint, there have been multiple X360 releases that have been far greater than comparible PS3 debuts thus far, so this retailer, like many, are "more" used to the hype and sales for 360 games - Halo 3 inindated the retailers to shock-purchasing (ie, huge sales upfront for a given game), whereas PS3 sales have been gradual, due to such a small, but growing userbase.

Either way, it's going to be great to see GTAIV stand in the spotlight, and spank Wii games for a few months.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Sounds very promising. The PS3 version of GTA4 topped the Amazon.co.uk chart for quite a long time and then suddenly they stopped taking pre-orders yesterday. But just now it seems back in stock.

I wonder which version will eventually come out on top for the UK during launch. For North America (360) and mainland Europe (PS3) it's as good as clear.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

mrstickball said:
The PS3 has no real uber-game for these retail stores to compare to - what, exactly, has been the best selling Playstation 3 game in Europe?

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is the fastest selling PS3 game for the UK so far (according to Chart Track). But you are right Sony kept the most anticipated games in their pocket for later releases (anyway IMO polishing is better than rushing it). It will be interesting to compare sales with MGS4, the first really high profile exclusive Playstation franchise sequel.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales