By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK retail running out of GTA IV

kingofwale said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
the biggest outlay is the price for a new console if the 360 is a lot cheaper people will buy that. cheaper consoles have an advantage, notice how Wii is doubling the competition in console sales and software sales are triple those of its competition.

You do realize that nobody (I mean, NOBODY) buys a console for just one game, right?

Customer walks in, wanting to buy a console and GTAIV, they see the big GT5P poster on the way. You tell me, what do you think is going to happen? ;)

That's what I *used* to think.  LOL!

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=23102&start=0

Around the Network
crumas2 said:
kingofwale said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
the biggest outlay is the price for a new console if the 360 is a lot cheaper people will buy that. cheaper consoles have an advantage, notice how Wii is doubling the competition in console sales and software sales are triple those of its competition.

You do realize that nobody (I mean, NOBODY) buys a console for just one game, right?

Customer walks in, wanting to buy a console and GTAIV, they see the big GT5P poster on the way. You tell me, what do you think is going to happen? ;)

That's what I *used* to think.  LOL!

Yeah but he is also using it for a BR movie player. so 1game + movie player = ps3 purchase

not 1 game = game console purchase.

BKK2 said:

Well, the article above sounds like it's driving hardware sales on the PS3 more than than the 360 at that store at least. If the rumoured bundle gets released I'd expect that to favour PS3 hardware sales too.

WHSmith is hardly the UK, everywhere else it's the same, just check Amazon, both are £34.99.

Edit: Stealth edited out that last comment eh?

"Luzio told MCV: "This is the biggest ever title for PS3 by a long way - and probably 360 as well. I've been really blown away by how quickly it's sold on PS3."

Luzio discredits himself as being unbiased with that bolded statement.  He gushes about how it's really going to move on the PS3, then follows up with a little "and probably on the 360 as well."  Uhhhh... shouldn't he know how well it's doing on both?  Sounds like a salesman I ran into at a Best Buy an hour from where I live.  He was so rabbidly pro PS3 and Blu-ray that no matter how many times I told him I was looking for software for my 360, he kept trying to sell me a PS3.  He even followed my wife and I around the store trying to argue with me after we left the video game area.  It got to the point that we finally complained to the store manager.

In this case the over-the-edge PS3 fanboy *is* the manager.  Ouch!

kamil said:
@mrstickball

If you mean by "far greater releases" games that sold more in absolute units than it's true, X360 had more "big releses". But if you mean units sold compared to userbase and there is no good games on PS3 than it's not really true.
X360 had Halo 3 and PS3 really didn't have anything comparable to it. But this is one game. Other biggest X360 titles are Call of Duty 4, AC and Vegas 2 which are also avalible on PS3. So PS3 had few quite big game and however they aren't as big as X360 counterparts the ratios for GTA4 openning vs (for example) CoD4 openning for both platform shouldn't be that much different (of course PS3' faster userbase growt will have an effect).

I was only/mainly referring to the fact that the X360 has had a few high-selling (first week-wise) games, like Gears of War, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Halo 3, and a few others that most likely saw high levels of pre-orders, whereas the PS3 has not. We've seen, in the US, and Japan (for many PSP, DS and Wii games), strong pre-order demand, but not so much for European PS3 titles.

Now that we finally have a game that is much-anticipated from the Consumer Pre-Order point of view, it seems that retailers didn't expect it, and are reacting....With a knee-jerk reaction..Which is odd, since one could see GTAIV on PS3 being highly demanded a mile away.

So again, I'm merely talking First week sales in the UK for each system, which would be a good gauge of consumer interest from a pre-order standpoint: I'd expect GTAIV on the PS3 to do better than any other PS3 game, and the 360 version to get pretty close to Halo 3, and beat most any other game.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

PooperScooper said:
crumas2 said:
kingofwale said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

That's what I *used* to think. LOL!

Yeah but he is also using it for a BR movie player. so 1game + movie player = ps3 purchase

not 1 game = game console purchase.

Better re-read his post.  He says he *won't* buy movies for it, but that he might occasionally host a movie party and rent a Blu-ray.  Hardly a purchase driven by the Blu-ray capability.

I posted this as a humorous note, but some people appear to have no sense of humor...

Around the Network

"He added that it was “already proving a real hardware driver” – especially for Sony’s next-gen console."

crumas2 said:
BKK2 said:

Well, the article above sounds like it's driving hardware sales on the PS3 more than than the 360 at that store at least. If the rumoured bundle gets released I'd expect that to favour PS3 hardware sales too.

WHSmith is hardly the UK, everywhere else it's the same, just check Amazon, both are £34.99.

Edit: Stealth edited out that last comment eh?

"Luzio told MCV: "This is the biggest ever title for PS3 by a long way - and probably 360 as well. I've been really blown away by how quickly it's sold on PS3."

Luzio discredits himself as being unbiased with that bolded statement. He gushes about how it's really going to move on the PS3, then follows up with a little "and probably on the 360 as well." Uhhhh... shouldn't he know how well it's doing on both? Sounds like a salesman I ran into at a Best Buy an hour from where I live. He was so rabbidly pro PS3 and Blu-ray that no matter how many times I told him I was looking for software for my 360, he kept trying to sell me a PS3. He even followed my wife and I around the store trying to argue with me after we left the video game area. It got to the point that we finally complained to the store manager.

In this case the over-the-edge PS3 fanboy *is* the manager. Ouch!

He's not being biased, it's clearly the biggest PS3 release, but for 360 he has to compare it to Halo 3, which is why he only says probably.

Besides, my point about hardware sales was based on this quote:

He added that it was “already proving a real hardware driver” – especially for Sony’s next-gen console.

Anyway, this is only one  retailer, it may not be the same at others.