By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have lost most interest in RPG's. I used to look so forward to them. Here's why.

Have RPGs lost their magic?

Yes. 70 36.65%

No. 89 46.60%

See results. 32 16.75%

Total:191
niceguygameplayer said:

It sounds anti Christian. I am a Christian. Maybe the name is misleading?

You should expose yourself to Anti-Christian works. It'll give your faith a babtism by fire. I expose myself to Christian works all the time, and I'm not religous at all. 

Around the Network

Oh boy!, I think U are exagerating, I mean we still have good turn based rpgs, like Persona 5, Ni no Kuni, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Disgaea

Ten years ago, I might have agreed with you. Early 7th gen, with the Xbox 360-driven emphasis on brownscale FPS's, was probably my least favorite era of video games. The DS and PSP helped, but it wasn't the same as having games on a full size console with full graphics. The one real saving grace from that time was Valkyria Chronicles, which is one of my favorite games of all time, but even there, its sequels ended up going handheld, with one never even making it out of Japan. I almost thought about quitting video games altogether.

But now? No. Things started getting better in 2013 for me with Ni no Kuni, PS4, in fact, is pretty close to a revival of the PS1 and PS2 eras in my book. Times change, things change. We still have a lot of turn-based games. Persona 5 was a critical and commercial success and has sold over 2 million copies, so it's safe to say that Sega will probably be prioritizing Persona 6. The only game we got from the Persona team on PS3/360 was a puzzle game. And I really enjoyed FF15, moreso than I did FF10, in fact. And right now I'm really into FF12: Zodiac Age. NieR: Automata has been a big seller for Platinum and Square Enix, an example of what Platinum could do for RPGs as well as a look at what might have been had Microsoft not cancelled Scalebound (glad I didn't spring for an Xbox One since Scalebound was the lone exclusive I cared about for X1). It took a great game and made it even better. So, I'm pretty happy with PS4, and the Switch looks to be a bridge between handhelds and home consoles that will hopefully bring more RPGs to the TV screen.

As controversial as it was, the last jrpg that I played fully and enjoyed was Star Ocean 4 on 360. Even though it was an action jrpg, with terrible voice acting ... I loved it for the visual, gameplay, and story.

I simply have become a collector of video games now. :( I don't play anymore.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

JRPGs has lost its way with me a long time ago. There are just too many. The magic they once had has been lost. Maybe because I have played so many of them. FF15 doesn't even interest me and I am a huge FF7/8 fan. I just cant get involved with them anymore. Maybe I am burnt out.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:
Nem said:

Ok, i know what i mean, and i agree, but those games haven't vanished yet.

The legend of heroes Trails of cold steel is something you will enjoy if you haven't played. The pesona games are the same. I think the menu is a bit different but persona 5 is still turn based.

At one point i think i understand you, but then you post this nonsense.

Have you ever heard about anyone making an anti-christian game? If you aren't willing to deal with religious themes, then maybe it isn't the genre for you anymore, indeed. These things were aproached in games like FFT, Grandia 2 and Xenogears, corner stones of the genre. 

Well... you will still be fine with legend of heroes. But do keep in mind that games are games, and thus not the real world. I won't defend religion though, i think it's humanities cancer and complete fantasy aswell, but it's irrelevant to enjoying the story of a virtual world.

Thank you for saying this. Calling a game "Divinity" is anti-christian? Please. You feel so attacked? Try being an atheist. I can't even let my grandmother or employers know what my beliefs are. Don't go reading offense into everything and then say you feel "attacked." My wife was in a bookstore once and picked up a book on Darwin and a nearby Christian said loudly to his wife: "I hate atheists! They always have to ram their beliefs down your throat!" Seriously? Who was loudly bitching about whom? So I don't feel any need to coddle. I found the idea that one needs to be "on guard" for anti-christian sentiment in a game because it was called "divinity: original sin" childish, privileged, tone-deaf, and basically ridiculous. It'd be funny if it weren't so upsetting.

I'm sorry to hear that.

That situation is unfortunely consequence of the deficient education systems in the US (and other under developed countries). It is the exception. Everyone who studied enough knows that religion can't possibly have any truth to it and those bigoted reactions just reflect how ugly religious people can truly be. Completely irresponsible children.
Anyways, just wanted to give you some ease. In Europe the situation is quite the opposite. There is no abuse of religious people, but no one will respect religious people in quite the same way, so people tend to keep it to themselves, wich is the way it should be. Keep your religion at home/church, where you can do what you want. Come outside with the nonsense and you get laughed at.

JonDan said:
Oh boy!, I think U are exagerating, I mean we still have good turn based rpgs, like Persona 5, Ni no Kuni 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Disgaea

XC2 isnt turn based and neither is the new Ni no Kuni.

I share the feelings. I've had to dig into some older classics that i missed like Golden Sun to get my fix for jrpg style.
with that said, i do like some action RPGs like Kingdom hearts

btw have you played xenogears and legend of dragoon? those are my top 2

Mar1217 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The JRPG genre has evolved a great deal over the years. JRPGs in the early 80's had simplistic stories, and a predictable town/dungeon/town/dungeon structure. Starting with FF IV (and some might argue Phantasy Star II on the Genesis) on the SNES the storytelling started to improve drastically. By the time FFVI and FFVII rolled around a JRPG wasn't a JRPG without multiple side quests, tons of hidden collectables, and a robust custom leveling system. Poke'mon hasn't changed much in years, but at the time it was a quantum leap forward. 150 playable characters in a single game.  Anybody that has played DragonQuest VII, and DragonQuest VIII can see how Level 5 streamlined the classic DQ gameplay, added party customization, and made battles more difficult. 

Modern JRPGs like Etrian Odyssey IV, SMT IV, Persona 5, Xenoblade series, are drastically complicated games.

Etrian Odyssey takes the oldschool Wizardry formula, adds a brutal difficulty level, changes the way bosses work entirely, changes what status effects do to bosses, allows cross classing for ridiculous customization, and borrows heavily from the MH series for getting new gear. 

SMT IV is basically Dark Souls meets Poke'mon with a stupidly complex breeding system. 

Xenoblade goes so far as to include giant mechs now, and it a vast open world. 

This sentence has triggered me. Especially since the SMT franchise is older than both of these series.

Sorry that was the best way to describe it in a single sentence. There's a repro cart in a game shop for the Super Famicom version. I've had my eye on it for a while now. 

JonDan said:
Oh boy!, I think U are exagerating, I mean we still have good turn based rpgs, like Persona 5, Ni no Kuni, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Disgaea

These games aren't turn-based.