By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anger Mounting Over SNES Classic Pre-Orders

On one hand by intentionally undersupplying they preserve the ability to do a limited release again in a few years. And demand will still be high then. I can understand why they think like this.

On the other hand, this is scalper paradise. Their hardcore fans are going to be giving scumbags some of their hard earned money.

If Nintendo are going to do a limited release they should price it higher. More profits to them and demand will lesson to the point where only the hardcore but it. Won't be much room for scalpers as the base price is already nearer the limit.

Around the Network

Totally agree with him

'Nintendo sales their products to scalpers for them to sell on EB'

This is how I see it now.

If Nintendo knew this was going to happen and is so greedy, why not charge another $10-20 for the SNES Classic? As it stands now under pricing and under supplying comes across as leaving ton of money on the table.

sethnintendo said:
Kai_Mao said:

I didn't mean to compare, just saying that Nintendo can't do everything.

Since you say you work at contract manufacturing, how does the process work? How does a company just put out like 5 million units at once (for example) as a first shipment?

Well there is obviously a ramp up time.  I'm sure the decision to go forward with the SNES was made sometime last year when it became obvious to Nintendo that their was high demand from their retro consoles/games.  I'm sure it is probably the same board being used that was used for the NES Classic (which it is kind of funny that the processing power of the board is better than the 3DS). 

So what has changed?  Basically just the outside plastic shell which I'm sure the molds were complete on those within a small time frame. 

New product you have protoruns (prototypes) to try and work all the kinks out but since the board probably didn't change then there is no need for protoruns unless they changed contract companies, moved it to a different factory or expanded it to multiple factories.  They could expand it to more contract manufacturers (there are shit load such as Foxconn, Flex, Jabil, etc).  This board probably is very basic and easy to produce compared to other boards such as some server boards so expanding it to multiple factories shouldn't be too hard and protoruns at those factories would be less than a few weeks considering the board isn't that complex.  If the board was complex or new design then a protorun can last months or even up to a year trying to work the kinks out but that isn't the case for this instance.

After protoruns are done they then go into a ramp up mode.  That can follow with working 24/7 using either 2 or 3 shifts.  This ramp up mode can go a few months or more but if I had to guess they should have been in full production mode by no later than early Spring of this year.  They should have millions of these produced by now. 

Then they probably produced millions but it still sold out whether it be bots, actual customers, or what not. how much in the millions do you think they should've made?

Not trying to sound ignorant or dismissive, just trying to get an idea of how it works. Not saying Nintendo isn't in the wrong, but there's usually more to it. Guess saying it's a holiday item doesn't help matters as demand goes higher even if millions are made.

Kai_Mao said:

Then they probably produced millions but it still sold out whether it be bots, actual customers, or what not. how much in the millions do you think they should've made?

Not trying to sound ignorant or dismissive, just trying to get an idea of how it works. Not saying Nintendo isn't in the wrong, but there's usually more to it. Guess saying it's a holiday item doesn't help matters as demand goes higher even if millions are made.

They probably only made a few million for launch but will probably continue production for a little into next year like they did with the NES Classic.  The thing is like others have said they got burnt bad on the Wii U stockpiling so they are more inclined than ever to make sure they never overproduce.  I believe they need to gauge demand a little better but there is always a fine line when it comes to manufacturing.  Companies never want to stockpile too much unless they are certain the product will sell and be in high demand for some time.  The preorders selling out instantly should be a pretty good gauge that there is high demand. 

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Kai_Mao said:

They probably only made a few million for launch but will probably continue production for a little into next year like they did with the NES Classic.  The thing is like others have said they got burnt bad on the Wii U stockpiling so they are more inclined than ever to make sure they never overproduce.  I believe they need to gauge demand a little better but there is always a fine line when it comes to manufacturing.  Companies never want to stockpile too much unless they are certain the product will sell and be in high demand for some time.  The preorders selling out instantly should be a pretty good gauge that there is high demand. 

They already said they will not be making them beyond 2017.

Is the entire supply available for preorder? Or is this just a bunch of grown men overracting like children?

Either way, every successful console sells out of their preorderable stock. There is absolutely no obligation that a company has to make sure retailers preselected unlimited numbers of stock.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Shadowcat said:
Wow does anybody actually understand economics or are you too lost in the Mushroom Kingdom?
Supply chains can't magically produce millions more Super Nintendos just cuz fanboys whine. There are tonnes of logistics involved in this. Add to that - NINTENDO HAS A HIT SYSTEM CALLED THE SWITCH - heard of it?
The fact that nintendo has increased the supply of Super Nintendos AND Switches for the holiday season is impressive.
Thanks Nintendo! You da best

Are you telling me that despite Nintendo as a company being 127 years old, having 5,166 employees and has billions in revenue each year... They are unable to focus on more than one product?

Nintendo could have thrown out a secondary contract to build more units before the console was even announced.

There are no excuses. Literally. None.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Roms will never devalue the real carts because they're cheap, inaccurate knock offs. It's like saying fake Rolex watches devalue real Rolex watches. 

Roms aren't "inaccurate" knock offs. They are exact dumps of the data that was on Carts.

The emulation is where things can get inaccurate, but considering how far NES, SNES and N64 emulation has come regarding accuracy these days... Well. You get the idea.

Johnw1104 said:

My only issue with them is that they've STILL taken no steps to deal with the scalping problem. Simply placing a small limit (like 2 or 3) on purchases by account and card number would help enormously, and yet they just don't seem to give a shit.

I don't even bother to try to get these things anymore.

Some outlets here had order limits... But they still sold out instantly.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Why buying an overpriced (for the limited things it can do) object that can only play a limited number of pre-installed games when you can play almost every old console game with emulators on PC or on cheap and versatile Android devices?

https://www.google.it/search?q=ouya+snes+emulator

It does include an unreleased game you know... And with the price of SNES games these days... Not sure we can call it over priced.
Plus some people don't know how to replace the battery in a SNES cart, this is a way to get around that entirely.

For most people though, they want the convenience it offers.
Not everyone is technically inclined to throw up emulators and roms on an Android TV box.

outlawauron said:
sethnintendo said:

Or people that don't have a clue about manufacturing.  They act like Nintendo's hands are tied behind their backs.

Very true. I understand that Nintendo can't outbid Apple for components, hence why they're not able to produce more Switch consoles. It's a very rare situation. Nintendo choose to produce this number of units knowing that it would be extremely difficult to get. It's either that or general incompetence.

There is a NAND shortage.
It should be largely resolved by the end of this year.

Nymeria said:
If Nintendo knew this was going to happen and is so greedy, why not charge another $10-20 for the SNES Classic? As it stands now under pricing and under supplying comes across as leaving ton of money on the table.

Well. They are already making a sizable profit anyway.

Price it to high and you draw the wrath of consumers.. You can't win sometimes. Haha

Kai_Mao said:

Well. I have the NES Classic. And I had a SNES Classic Pre-ordered months ago... So I guess I am lucky.

Nintendo should have produced enough to fill store shelves and stockings for both.
It doesn't matter if it takes 6 months to sell inventory... These devices are so cheap to manufacture... Profit will happen.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Jumpin said:

Is the entire supply available for preorder? Or is this just a bunch of grown men overracting like children?

Either way, every successful console sells out of their preorderable stock. There is absolutely no obligation that a company has to make sure retailers preselected unlimited numbers of stock.

I would let that statement slide but most of us remember what happened last year with the NES Classic.  You could not find it in stores ever after launch.  Most stores I went to when asked when the next shipment would come in had no clue.  So how was one supposed to effectively obtain one after launch?  Go to a store and wait outside every morning perhaps get a chance to purchase one before the few that ever came in were sold out instantly?

You dont need to be technically savvy to use an emulator. Just saying