By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry first look at Skyrim Switch

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

So far it seems to, yes; performance is reportedly rock solid, portable mode runs at the Switch screen's native resolution, and just going by what I can see in youtube footage, some of the graphical extras of the special edition have been included. So yeah so far it seems a competent port. Of course there's always the possibility that once it comes out, the final version falls apart under close inspection, but so far, so good.

Final version on PS3 and even X360 was very bad on performance, so I wouldn't put the blame on Switch for this game.

Yeah I remember that whole fiasco back in 2011, with a lot of people complaining about the game's poor performance on last gen consoles. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem on Switch though, as it has far more RAM and uses carts rather than discs, thus getting around a lot of the streaming and memory related issues that plagued PS3/360. It all depends on how much effort they put into this version at the end of the day; IIRC, the PS4 Pro version of the game has a worse framerate than the standard PS4/Xbox One version, so hardware power isn't the only factor.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Final version on PS3 and even X360 was very bad on performance, so I wouldn't put the blame on Switch for this game.

Yeah I remember that whole fiasco back in 2011, with a lot of people complaining about the game's poor performance on last gen consoles. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem on Switch though, as it has far more RAM and uses carts rather than discs, thus getting around a lot of the streaming and memory related issues that plagued PS3/360. It all depends on how much effort they put into this version at the end of the day; IIRC, the PS4 Pro version of the game has a worse framerate than the standard PS4/Xbox One version, so hardware power isn't the only factor.

Bethesda can never be challenged on fucking it up.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It really looks like Bethesday put some actual effort into this. Basing it off the special edition rather than the vanilla edition, getting the performance stable, adding motion controls when it didn't have to. It's good to see this wan't treated as an afterthought, which has been a problem for 3rd party ports on Nintendo systems in the past.

h2ohno said:
It really looks like Bethesday put some actual effort into this. Basing it off the special edition rather than the vanilla edition, getting the performance stable, adding motion controls when it didn't have to. It's good to see this wan't treated as an afterthought, which has been a problem for 3rd party ports on Nintendo systems in the past.

Nintendo is publishing this, so that may have something to do with the better than expected performance and feature set

After severe dissapointment with Oblivion I've not played a ES game throughly since Morrowind (witch I played the shit out of on PC including Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions).

I'll probalby get this and it's nice it seem to be running stable on the Switch.

Biggest problem is that it will collide with XBC2 and SMO, since time for playing is somewhat limited even if the Switch has really helped me with being to play more games with it's hybrid nature.

Around the Network
h2ohno said:

Yeah I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised to far, I thought it would be a token port shoved out the door with little care or effort.