By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Age of Empires 4 coming to Windows 10

On the one side I'm stoked that we're finally getting a long awaited sequel to one of my fave RTS games of all time, but on the other hand I'm very, very wary of how it will turn out. It's been announced that it's coming to Win 10, so it's likely to be geared around being tied to the Windows store and not allowing for any sort of modding community like the first 2 (and 3 to an extent) have. The other part that I'm wary of is the high chances of it being developed entirely around Xbox like Halo Wars 1-2 were and I'd honestly be put entirely off the game if it was designed for a system that isn't designed to play RTS games, let alone where the genre originally came from.

Sell it on Win 10 store as well as Steam. Give the game full modding support and design it around the KB+M and you'll get my money.

It's been going pretty good so far with Blizzard giving us Starcraft remastered, MS with AoE II HD and AoE remaster and now a new AoE. All we need now is EA to get it's arse into high gear and release a new C&C as well as C&C remasters. Blizzard should also work on a new Warcraft and Warcraft 1-3 remasters as well. It's about high time the AAA RTS side of the genre to come back strong. A new Supreme Commander would be most welcome as well.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Nice! Hope Relic can stand up to Ensemble of old with the series.

I'm not going to think anything of it untill I've seen a gameplay trailer. If it's any good, I'll run it in Wine.

Chazore said:
On the one side I'm stoked that we're finally getting a long awaited sequel to one of my fave RTS games of all time, but on the other hand I'm very, very wary of how it will turn out. It's been announced that it's coming to Win 10, so it's likely to be geared around being tied to the Windows store and not allowing for any sort of modding community like the first 2 (and 3 to an extent) have. The other part that I'm wary of is the high chances of it being developed entirely around Xbox like Halo Wars 1-2 were and I'd honestly be put entirely off the game if it was designed for a system that isn't designed to play RTS games, let alone where the genre originally came from.

Sell it on Win 10 store as well as Steam. Give the game full modding support and design it around the KB+M and you'll get my money.

It's been going pretty good so far with Blizzard giving us Starcraft remastered, MS with AoE II HD and AoE remaster and now a new AoE. All we need now is EA to get it's arse into high gear and release a new C&C as well as C&C remasters. Blizzard should also work on a new Warcraft and Warcraft 1-3 remasters as well. It's about high time the AAA RTS side of the genre to come back strong. A new Supreme Commander would be most welcome as well.

It is not coming to Xbox. So it will definitely be designed for KB+M.

I don't know about everyone else, but this announcement is like Half-Life 3 for me!!!! Get hyped! Thank you Microsoft for not forgetting this glorious series!!

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:

It is not coming to Xbox. So it will definitely be designed for KB+M.

I wouldn't be so sure. MS is done at this point with trying to develop for one system and then the other. It makes sense for them to just use a studio to develop for both systems and pander to one for a while before returning to the other. They've been doing that most of this gen, with them putting more focus on Xbox, then a tiny it on the side for Windows 10 and maybe the odd release or two for Win 7.

They say HW 1-2 works on PC, but that game was still designed around the gamepad. There will be compromises here and there for the game. I don't see any company coming out and telling us that they compromised on a game's controls or gameplay to work with another system ebfore the game is even released. 

If they talk about "features" that have been a common staple of PC gaming for years, that will also add to my wariness. Shouldn't need to market what should already be there in the first place. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

gtotheunit91 said:
I don't know about everyone else, but this announcement is like Half-Life 3 for me!!!! Get hyped! Thank you Microsoft for not forgetting this glorious series!!

I felt the exact same way about the Metroid Prime 4 announcement at E3 this year xD

Pretty pleased about this announcement! I hope it's worthy of a day one purchase :)

Where did you read that AOE 2 & 3 were getting Definitive Editions as well?

gtotheunit91 said:
Where did you read that AOE 2 & 3 were getting Definitive Editions as well?

they said it in the stream. and showed 2 logos.