By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesdas expectations on Skyrim for the Switch?

Anything above 500k worldwide should be seen as an unexpected success. It will struggle to do more than 300k in USA and Europe. Can't see ROW and JAPAN adding 200k to this tally.

Around the Network

1-2m

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

If Nintendo can get their supply problems sorted out then I think it could reach 1m by the end of the year. What makes me optimistic about that are five different things -

- It's a new console and people are especially motivated to buy games for the Switch. If people are questioning that, just look at Ultra Street Fighter II which is probably going to break 1m with most of those being full-priced purchases despite it being a glorified port of a 10-year old game (which can be purchased for a fraction of the price of USFII), which in turn was an enhanced port of a (now) 25 year-old game.
- I think a lot of people buying the Switch are core gamers who aren't necessarily fans of Nintendo games and because of that, 3rd party games (western 3rd party games in particular) have a shot at doing better than on previous Nintendo platforms.
- Nintendo has been really advertising Skryim and making it seem like a huge deal
- There's a noticeable parallel with a significant Nintendo game on the Switch (BotW), so people who have played, finished and enjoyed that game might be motivated to give Skyrim a shot.
- Portability

The 3rd party games I'm more concerned about on the Switch are NBA2K18, FIFA and WWE2K18. If those games can do good numbers, it would prove to 3rd parties that there are more users on the Switch than the typical Nintendo userbase that only buys exclusives.

Just saw it's still in top 25 played games daily on steam. I know it has a lot of extras on PC but it still a game that attracts lots of people. It's one of the games I am most excited to see how it pans out.

Hopefully nothing too good, better to be surprised than disappointed anyways

Around the Network

i think this game will top 5 million sales when its all said and done. I dont know what bethesda expects or what they would consider a success

I mean in Street Fighter 2 can sell 400k that by all means I pretty sure Skyrim can sell too. At this point I am just waiting for a Switch game to sell bad.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

RolStoppable said:
They probably expect at least 1m.

Problem is that the DNA of Skyrim isn't especially compatible with the DNA that the market expects from Nintendo. There are two main branches of video games:

1. Arcades, their gameplay being absorbed by consoles of Atari, Nintendo and Sega.
2. Home computers, dominated by games that would have no chance to survive in arcades.

A lot of this distinction has been blurred over the decades - especially over the course of the most recent decade - but a distinct feel that players recognize at least on a subconscious level remains. Skyrim's roots aren't hard to figure out, so the success of Breath of the Wild doesn't mean all that much. People who go into Skyrim expecting another Zelda are going to quickly reach the conclusion that Skyrim sucks. Selling a million copies will be far from easy.

So, no chance of a biased review of Skyrim?

Atleast 10 million, anything less would be an objective failure.

But realistically... I think 2 - 3 million lifetime sales is feasible. Its a casual friendly WRPG, should do well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

If it were $40 like Rayman Legends I would get it, but $60 is asking too much considering I already played the PC version to death sine 2011. Portable Skyrim isn't worth that much, especially when there are other games to buy.