By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Monster Hunter XX: Switch vs 3DS Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

So, I am the only one happy with this?

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
p0isonparadise said:
What were guys expecting? It's a 3DS port by Capcom.

I expect and will always expect competent, real effort.  If that means Capcom continuously disapoints, that's Capcom's problem.  It's their job to get their crap together, not the customers' job to lower expectations so they look better.

Shikamo said:

max resolution in portable mode is 1280x720

You can render at higher resolution and then down sample the image at the display's resolution just like PS4 Pro does ... 

Kinda of a bummer that 60FPS is off the table ... 

Kyuu said:
I don't get the complaints, this is looking like a great remaster. If I were a Switch owner, I'd rather Capcom take their time and port Monster Hunter World, or better yet focus on developing an all new MH.

Remaking an expansion is a complete waste of time.

But would it have killed them to increase the polygonal complexity of the game?  Cause that's what's hamstringing this visually.  The texture work isn't bad, but it's wrapped around GameCube level geometry.  Or at the very, very least optimize it worth anything so it can run at 60fps?

Mr Puggsly said:
From this video, its evident the Switch is just slightly more powerful than the 3DS.

Well the Switch is like 397 Gflops (docked) and the 3DS like 4.8 Gflops.

That alone is a differnce of like x82 times the power, but not all flops are equal, the newer tech inside, I wouldnt be surprised if its well over x100.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
So, I am the only one happy with this?

Theres probably alot of others that are okay with any monster hunter game on their switch. Some is better than none.

but it just "looks" boreing gameplay&graphically compaired to Monster Hunter World.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

But would it have killed them to increase the polygonal complexity of the game?  Cause that's what's hamstringing this visually.  The texture work isn't bad, but it's wrapped around GameCube level geometry.  Or at the very, very least optimize it worth anything so it can run at 60fps?

Yes because geometry complexity has been increasing very slowly over the years ... (Xbox 360 could push 1/2B triangles/s while the Xbox One X will do ~4.7B triangles/s, the Switch on the other hand is capable of generating either 307M triangles/s (portable) or ~770M traingles/s) 

You are right that the docked mode should be at the very least 60FPS with higher resolution shadow maps to boot but consider this case ... 

Despite PS4 Pro doubling almost everything it still can't run all PS4 games at 60FPS because the CPU power and bandwidth hasn't doubled so maybe the reason why MHXX for the Switch isn't 60FPS is probably because of the lack of bandwidth due to it's usage of higher resolution textures ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Why no down sampling from a higher resolution in portable mode ?
Shikamo said:

max resolution in portable mode is 1280x720

You can render at higher resolution and then down sample the image at the display's resolution just like PS4 Pro does ... 

I think that's pretty obvious, rendering at higher resolution would mean bigger battery wear and more heat (GPU would need to work at same clocks in portable mode like do in docked mode), and with downsampling 1080p picture on 6" 720p screen difrence would be minimal. So you will not see one single Switch game that downsampling 1080p resolution for portable mode.

Nuvendil said:

Despite PS4 Pro doubling almost everything it still can't run all PS4 games at 60FPS because the CPU power and bandwidth hasn't doubled so maybe the reason why MHXX for the Switch isn't 60FPS is probably because of the lack of bandwidth due to it's usage of higher resolution textures ... 

I wouldnt take port of 3DS game like some measure of Switch possibilities, fact that MHXX for Switch is not 60 FPS doesn't mean Switch isn't cable to run that game at 60FPS, almost every other Switch game looks much better and most of them are 60fps.

Not a fan of Monster Hunter, hate the gameplay but have to say graphically this looks like a upscaled ps2 game. I would of thought 60fps would have been easily possible but then maybe battery runtime in portable mode is going to be very long and they simply kept to 30fps while docked for consistency with portable mode. I was surprised how good the 3DS version looked especially as you also get 3D, I'm one of the rare people who really likes the 3D of the 3DS and doesn't turn it off.

Miyamotoo said:

I think that's pretty obvious, rendering at higher resolution would mean bigger battery wear and more heat (GPU would need to work at same clocks in portable mode like do in docked mode), and with downsampling 1080p picture on 6" 720p screen difrence would be minimal. So you will not see one single Switch game that downsampling 1080p resolution for portable mode.

Switch in portable mode doesn't run at the same clocks as in docked mode and I guess battery life is valid ... 

Miyamotoo said:

I wouldnt take port of 3DS game like some measure of Switch possibilities, fact that MHXX for Switch is not 60 FPS doesn't mean Switch isn't cable to run that game at 60FPS, almost every other Switch game looks much better and most of them are 60fps.

This isn't just any port, it's a port with higher resolution textures and 16x anisotropic filtering which will spike bandwidth usage ... 

curl-6 said:

Looks really ugly to be honest. It would've been graphically substandard on the Xbox 360, much less the Switch.

Its the overall polish that's impressive. 1080p, AA, stable frame rate, fairly detailed environments, etc.

You wouldn't get that polish on 7th gen machines, but Switch is still closer to 7th gen specs versus 8th gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)