By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do indies suck at making characters/mascots?

Wright said:
Xen said:

Most always that is true.

There exist exceptions... very very few exceptions.

What's up with you, indie haters.

Quote stares at you both with disappointment!

What's up with your anti-progressivness?

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Shovel Knight is a great mascot tho
So is Meat Boy

Meat Boy is gross looking though.

Flilix said:
Old games often have lame mascots too. For example, Link was basically just a Peter Pan rip off and Mario used to be 'Jumpman' without any background or characteristics.

But things were different back then.  Gaming was this new, exciting thing, and nobody had any expectations back then.  Today's developers have no excuse.

Meatboy doesn't "suck" imo.

They don't. There are some good ones out there as well as bad, just like how there are good games and bad games.

Also, I'm not sure how you found some of these titles. I've never heard of those.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Meanwhile Undertale characters are EVERYWHERE, and I haven't even played the game yet.

Is this a joke? Did you even LIVE through the 90s?

They were CONSTANTLY trying to create new mascots. Sonic, Crash and Mario we're just the only ones that really stuck.

Honestly, making a mascot that is in and of itself really cool and likable is probably one of the most difficult tasks of game design when setting out to do so. For every Mario, Link, Sonic, Master Chief, Kratos and so forth there's probably a hundred+ failed mascots that didn't strike a cord with anyone.

Some, like Mario, looked charming in their time while being featured in revolutionary games and had a massive following by the time of 16 bit graphics. Others, such as Sonic, saw lots of people pass the character around (including marketing personnel) until they settled on a design that best captured the attitude of the time, resources Indie games have no access to.

Most of the best known mascots had teams fulls of some of the best artists and designers in the industry contributing to their look and design. It's very difficult for a small team (sometimes just a single person) to pull off a similar feat, and most indie games are instead looking to impress through a mixture of great, familiar gameplay while bringing a little extra to the table that we've not seen yet. By being familiar, well-crafted, familiar, and introducing some unique mechanic or element to their game, Indies are able to have their game stand out without the need for a true mascot.

That said, there's still plenty (in my opinion) of recognizable Indie characters. I'd say Shovel Knight is instantly recognizable, and Tim from Braid could probably be said to be the mascot of Indie games in general. People were obsessed with nearly the entire cast of Undertale for a while, as well... I'm pretty sure if we started listing off popular indie titles over the past decade we'd find many with memorable protagonists. They'll rarely (if ever) rise to the level of Mario, Sonic, Master Chief and so forth, but that's because in addition to being gaming mascots they've also become corporate mascots akin to Mickey Mouse with Disney. Our exposure to them, at this point, is essentially inescapable.

Johnw1104 said:

Honestly, making a mascot that is in and of itself really cool and likable is probably one of the most difficult tasks of game design when setting out to do so. For every Mario, Link, Sonic, Master Chief, Kratos and so forth there's probably a hundred+ failed mascots that didn't strike a cord with anyone.

Some, like Mario, looked charming in their time while being featured in revolutionary games and had a massive following by the time of 16 bit graphics. Others, such as Sonic, saw lots of people pass the character around (including marketing personnel) until they settled on a design that best captured the attitude of the time, resources Indie games have no access to.

Most of the best known mascots had teams fulls of some of the best artists and designers in the industry contributing to their look and design. It's very difficult for a small team (sometimes just a single person) to pull off a similar feat, and most indie games are instead looking to impress through a mixture of great, familiar gameplay while bringing a little extra to the table that we've not seen yet. By being familiar, well-crafted, familiar, and introducing some unique mechanic or element to their game, Indies are able to have their game stand out without the need for a true mascot.

That said, there's still plenty (in my opinion) of recognizable Indie characters. I'd say Shovel Knight is instantly recognizable, and Tim from Braid could probably be said to be the mascot of Indie games in general. People were obsessed with nearly the entire cast of Undertale for a while, as well... I'm pretty sure if we started listing off popular indie titles over the past decade we'd find many with memorable protagonists. They'll rarely (if ever) rise to the level of Mario, Sonic, Master Chief and so forth, but that's because in addition to being gaming mascots they've also become corporate mascots akin to Mickey Mouse with Disney. Our exposure to them, at this point, is essentially inescapable.

ROFL! no. Cave Story says hello. I'd even put Gianna Sisters above it. They were the mascot indie platormers decade and more before Braid.

SegataSanshiro said:
Johnw1104 said:

ROFL! no. Cave Story says hello. I'd even put Gianna Sisters above it. They were the mascot indie platormers decade and more before Braid.

I certainly don't agree with Gianna Sisters, who were really only well known in Europe and were little more than a carbon copy of Super Mario. I agree that the Mr. Traveller is another good representative of the indie scene, but I doubt he's as recognizable as Tim from Braid. I mostly said Braid, though, as it is generally cited as the launching point of the modern indie scene, regardless of how true that is. Obviously there's always been an indie scene dating back to the days of Atari (it's a big part of what caused the industry to collapse in the early 80's), but it was following Braid that the scene really exploded.