By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter XX - Nintendo Switch vs. 3DS Gameplay Comparison

looks better than I thought

Around the Network

Looks better the MH World.

Night and day difference.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Cool... How's the gameplay?

KLAMarine said:

It's MH Generations with added content and 2 extra hunter styles.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
KLAMarine said:

Never played a MH game so I'm lost here. Guessing you run around and kill monsters, basically.

I have no idea why Capcom refuses to announce this for the West- Monster Hunter World is a poor reasoning as this would not distract from that considering World is seemingly not releasing on Nintendo platforms anyway

I almost can only think that they made some sort of deal with Sony/Micro to release World as the only Monster Hunter game in the West for a period of time or something (???)

entirely illogical for XX not to be be coming to the West, and port jobs should not take a year when you're literally just translating stuff 

KLAMarine said:
Wyrdness said:

Never played a MH game so I'm lost here. Guessing you run around and kill monsters, basically.

Yes and no, MH is a quest/mission based game in a similar style to Phantasy Star Online, you start off in a village and talk to the guild members for quests a number of which involve hunting marks (monsters), each quest are grouped into ranks, finish lower ranked ones to unlock the next tier. Very simple goal but the game's execution of it is what draws or for many western players repels them, you start off with the bare basics and have to gather materials (some of which only come from monsters themselves) from your hunts to forge better equipment and gear which helps improve your chances in hunts as better equipment comes with better stats, traits and abilities so the is an element of heavy grinding.

MH Generations or X in Japan added a new spin with hunting styles which give you a specialized action and hunter artes (special moves essentially), for example Adept style adds a unique dodge that when activated at the last possible moment allows you to evade an enemy attack and instantly counter.

Wyrdness said:
KLAMarine said:

Yes and no, MH is a quest/mission based game in a similar style to Phantasy Star Online, you start off in a village and talk to the guild members for quests a number of which involve hunting marks (monsters), each quest are grouped into ranks, finish lower ranked ones to unlock the next tier. Very simple goal but the game's execution of it is what draws or for many western players repels them, you start off with the bare basics and have to gather materials (some of which only come from monsters themselves) from your hunts to forge better equipment and gear which helps improve your chances in hunts as better equipment comes with better stats, traits and abilities so the is an element of heavy grinding.

MH Generations or X in Japan added a new spin with hunting styles which give you a specialized action and hunter artes (special moves essentially), for example Adept style adds a unique dodge that when activated at the last possible moment allows you to evade an enemy attack and instantly counter.

Cool. May give it a shot. Thanks.

mountaindewslave said:

I have no idea why Capcom refuses to announce this for the West- Monster Hunter World is a poor reasoning as this would not distract from that considering World is seemingly not releasing on Nintendo platforms anyway

I almost can only think that they made some sort of deal with Sony/Micro to release World as the only Monster Hunter game in the West for a period of time or something (???)

entirely illogical for XX not to be be coming to the West, and port jobs should not take a year when you're literally just translating stuff 

I think it is probably due to the deals they made with the previous games on the 3DS and Nintendo.

Basically, Nintendo handled all or most of the distribution (maybe some publishing as well I can't remember them all) of every Monster Hunter game released on a Nintendo platform in NA (and I think Europe) . This sort of negated some of the costs for Capcom and allowed Nintendo to dictate when they were released.

My bet is that this is still the case. However, either Nintendo is holding off on XX until some point next year when there is a hole in their schedule or due to  some petty and / or stupid reason related to either company they are going to let XX stay Japan exclusive. I am hoping it is the former for all Monster Hunter fans in the West.