By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Convince me to get a Vita

Tagged games:

Kresnik said:
VGPolyglot said:

Woah, for a beginner like me, this is a very useful list. Thanks!!

Welcome. That list is just a starting point by the way, I just skimmed through and probably missed out a lot of stuff.

I also left off games I didn't think BraLoD would be interested in like A.W Phoenix Festa or a load of visual novels (stuff like Collar x Malice or Code Realize)

I only have one game myself, so even if it's just a starting point, it's still pretty useful to me.

Around the Network

If you can afford and you want it, why not?

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

BraLoD said:
Farsala said:

Ys 7 is on PSN so you can play it on a few Sony consoles like Vita I think.

BTW I only mentioned true exclusives there, there are a few more handheld exclusives like (3DS, Vita) and (PSP, Vita).

Big examples being Tales of Hearts R and Tales of Innocence R for DS and Vita.

Highschool DxD

Lord of Arcana

Muramasa (Wii, Vita)

Bunch of visual novels (PC, Vita)

Old games like Romancing Saga (SNES, Vita)

And 5 notable true exclusives I forgot, Oreshika which Kresnik mentioned and Soul Sacrifice+ Delta, Resistance Vita, and Persona 4 and 5 Dancing.

Do you know more about Visual novels if they have some rpg elements? Not really sure what they are exactly, don't want to just watch a story, honestly.

I think a lot of them are different, so you would have to check out specific ones. For example utawarerumono is more tactical, while Steins gate would be less rpg like I think and more story. But I am not entirely sure about visual novels.

VGPolyglot said:
Kresnik said:

Welcome. That list is just a starting point by the way, I just skimmed through and probably missed out a lot of stuff.

I also left off games I didn't think BraLoD would be interested in like A.W Phoenix Festa or a load of visual novels (stuff like Collar x Malice or Code Realize)

I only have one game myself, so even if it's just a starting point, it's still pretty useful to me.

Check out my lists too for a few games he missed. (please, I put a lot of time into it!) :P

Kresnik said:
Since I'll probably be the only person to provide a dissenting counter-point of "get one" in this thread (since this thread has only been open a few minutes and has attracted a spree of drive-by shots taken at the console) I'll make this a more detailed post:

- Vita hardware is fantastic. I've had my launched OLED Vita for 5 years and had no issues so far despite daily play - sticks are fine; buttons are fine; triggers are fine; touch screens are fine. Battery is also in tact. The LCD hardware is even better in my opinion, in spite of the decrease in screen quality.

- Memory card prices are obscene. There's no two ways about it - you have to buy the proprietary cards and they are not cheap. You're going to need at least 16GB to make the most of the handheld and probably 32GB would be a good idea. I have two 64GB cards.

Now, software-wise, the reasons it's worth getting a Vita as follows:

1. You like gaming on the go. This is the main reason - it was a game-changer for me, playing these games that should be running on home consoles but on the train; on my break at work; for half an hour and then suspending at home. It's great.

2. You like nostalgia gaming and played on the PS1. You can get a fantastic library of games ranging from Crash Bandicoot to Final Fantasy to Metal Gear Solid to Spyro to Tomb Raider on it and they all work great on the handheld thanks to the fact they're not blown up to massive proportions and look like shit on a HDTV.

3. You missed out on the PSP era and have an interest in playing games from that time. Although a few classic titles are missing (looking at you Crisis Core), my memory card is filled with everything ranging from Daxter to Mana Khemia to Peace Walker to Persona 3 Portable to Ys Oath in Felghana.

4. You like RPG's. Vita has a tonne of them. Most came to other consoles, but if you want to play all of the RPG's Vita has to offer you're going to need a 3DS; PS3; PS4 & PC. And even them, only one of those consoles really offers portable play which is 3DS. There's only a handful of true exclusives in there, but things like Tales of Hearts R and Ys Memories of Celceta are fantastic. And multi-plats like Atelier Totori; Lost Dimension and Trails of Cold Steel are worth playing again on the go purely for the "you can just chip away at them a little bit at a time" factor.

5. You like anime tie-in titles. Vita has a tonne, and a lot of them are great. Among my favourites are Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Force; One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 and Sword Art Online: Lost Song.

6. You like indie games. Again, Vita kinda plays like a curated 'greatest hits' of indie games from about 2013 until 2016. Things like Bastion; Geometry Wars 3; Guacamelee; Hotline Miami; Teslagrad etc. are all worth playing for the first time (or even again) on the go.

7. You have a thing for PS1/PS2-era mascot platforms. Thankfully, Vita got the big three Sony trilogies from the PS2 era (Jak/Ratchet/Sly) and although they have technical hiccups, it's amazing reliving them on Vita. Throw in Crash; Oddworld; Rayman; Spyro etc. and you've got a great selection of platformers.

8. You like western games and are happy accepting that Vita only has a handful. This is a big sticking point for a lot of people. Vita got western games, and a lot of them are great - Assassin's Creed; Killzone; Uncharted etc. are all fun portable-entries in their respective series, there just aren't a lot of them out there. If you're happy replaying older games, you can add more variety through things like Borderlands; God of War and Ninja Gaiden that got ported to the platform.

9. You're happy trying things out. For example, I'd never tried visual novels before Vita - gave DanganRonpa a try and loved it. I was never really big on indie games - tried Hotline Miami and I was much more accepting. I never played a God of War game before Vita. I never played a Worms game. I never played a Metroidvania, then I tried Axiom Verge. All are things I'm glad I did, because it's definitely broadened my gaming horizons.

10. You have to accept that Vita's best days are behind it and you're buying the platform for the library of games that it's built up over the past 6 years; not the library of games it'll be getting over the next 6.

People will undoubtedly continue to spout how it's not worth it even after this post, but it's one of those things - if you look into it, you'll find plenty to like; but on the face of things it's easy to bash the console because it didn't sell much and Sony stopped development for it. Which is fine, it's never going to be a sales success irrespective of whether I convince people it's worth it from this post; all I'd say is if you're at all interested look into the library and don't just latch on to the hive mind of "itsdeadnogameslol" that gets trotted out anyone mentions the word Vita.

If I had the money, this would wind up convincing me to go get a Vita. 10/10 post.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

BraLoD said:
WagnerPaiva said:
If you can afford and you want it, why not?

It has to be worth the investment.

Honestly I'm kind inclined to get it, I feel like I need a bit more, tho.

I think that, if you already have a psp, you will be disapointed. Otherwise, it is pretty awesome.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

One day they will be worth a lot of money.... Maybe.

Get a Vita... now... or else...

Hunting Season is done...

One other thing to note is that in general nintendo hardware is much more sturdy than sony's.
I had 2 psp 2000s. Both broke after one drop at 120cm. While I did hear that the vita was a bit better...
Meanehile my batterd DS lite still works, although the hinge is broken which is why I got a N3dsxl

You can play Legend of Dragoon while going to the bathroom.

.- -... -.-. -..

BraLoD said:
PieToast said:
You can play Legend of Dragoon while going to the bathroom.

Yeah, but I covered that matter in the OP.

Playing PS1, some PS2 games and indie games in a portable format was my major selling point for the vita. Sure, they're not exclusive but a lot of those games can only be played on the go on the Vita. And if if you don't care about that then the exclusives are nice, but you've already seen the lists. If you don't care that much about them then sadly you may have to skip getting a Vita.

it sucks. I know. But you can't play every game in existence. Especially with how expensive games are in Brazil. So buying hardware for only a handful of games you may or may not like is a very difficult decision to make.

.- -... -.-. -..