By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Far, Nintendo's Arms Does Not Have Legs - What?

"Arms sold 1.18 million copies between its June release and late July."

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

As of June 30th, Arms sold 1.18 million in 2 weeks. It launched June 16th. This means that even if Splatoon 2 theoretically killed Arms legs it doesnt matter because the information theyre using is from before Splatoon 2. Essentially they're saying that Arms sold1.18 in a month and a half - when it sold that in two weeks

This is a case of kotaku literally looking at the day sales articles about Arms were posted, and not reading when thr sales data was collected. An all new low for gaming journalism.

Most of the early commentors seemed to have not read your post. I will say that I am a bit concerned Splatoon 2 will eat up Arms legs after it has released, but I think it's fair to assume Arms hit 1.5 -
1.7 million before Splatoon 2 came out, considering it had almost an entire month left

Around the Network

for the case of a new console its better to look at percentages, not numbers. the Switch (from most recent data) has sold 4.7 million units. ARMS has sold 1.18 million units. that is an attachment rate of 25% of all Nintendo Switch owners. 1 in 4 people who own a Switch own ARMS.

Now lets shift focus to Sony for a moment. Not too long ago they released a new IP in the form of Horizon: Zero Dawn. It has to date sold just over 3 million units while the PS4 has reportedly pushed 60 million. that is only a 5% attachment rate. as a matter of fact only 2 games released for the PS4 have an attachment rate of 25% or more and those are GTA V and Black Ops 3. and another note - the highest attachment for a game Sony has made is Uncharted 4 with only 15%.

But now in Sony's defense, you cant look at percentages because in that case with Sony's 60 million PS4's you would be expecting every game to hit around 15 million copies which would be ludicrous even consider. At a certain point there comes a shift, and you have to know when to look at percentages and when to look at numbers. these people obviously didnt know.

*ARMS sells over 1 million in two weeks*

Kotaku: This is a sign the ARMS has no legs. It has been out in two different months and only sold 1 million.

Me: The game's sales is only for two weeks.....

Kotaku: Quiet! *Activates trap door*

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

axumblade said:

loltaku

Actually, editing my post. It wasn't calling it a flop. But at the same time, it's a big ridiculous to call a game that sold over a million copies within a month and a half a flop (unless it's something that should be selling more like Call of Duty). As far as legs go, it's a bit stupid to count eshop as a reliable source for how many copies a game has sold. I remember when the eshop launched, Zelda would barely hang in the top 10 since most people were buying the physical copy. 

I agree with axum. This is all quite a big ridiculous.

Yerm said:
for the case of a new console its better to look at percentages, not numbers. the Switch (from most recent data) has sold 4.7 million units. ARMS has sold 1.18 million units. that is an attachment rate of 25% of all Nintendo Switch owners. 1 in 4 people who own a Switch own ARMS.

Now lets shift focus to Sony for a moment. Not too long ago they released a new IP in the form of Horizon: Zero Dawn. It has to date sold just over 3 million units while the PS4 has reportedly pushed 60 million. that is only a 5% attachment rate. as a matter of fact only 2 games released for the PS4 have an attachment rate of 25% or more and those are GTA V and Black Ops 3. and another note - the highest attachment for a game Sony has made is Uncharted 4 with only 15%.

But now in Sony's defense, you cant look at percentages because in that case with Sony's 60 million PS4's you would be expecting every game to hit around 15 million copies which would be ludicrous even consider. At a certain point there comes a shift, and you have to know when to look at percentages and when to look at numbers. these people obviously didnt know.

this!

Attach rate says much more about the game's success. Also for a new IP to reach over a million in two weeks in the fourth month of the system release are impressive numbers rather than anything else..

And Kotaku getting the sales numbers wrong is just bad, I stopped reading that site many years ago.

Around the Network

More booty nintendo. ARMS cannot survive off of twintelle alone

Ugh...Kotaku. There is a reason I avoid that site like the plague.

Apparently, the writer of the article didn't realize that the sales of ARMS were as of June 30, not July 31. Fact check before posting the article, Kotaku.

Nautilus said:

"Arms sold 1.18 million copies between its June release and late July. "

This sentence is all you need to khow about much effort kotaku put into making this article.

Yeah, doesn't that figure (1.18m) only includes the last 2 weeks of June? O.o 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Yeeah 2 months is definitly jumping the gun a bit, particularly for a multiplayer focused Nintendo game. I think the game will have decent legs as word of mouth advertising spreads, and nearing thanksgiving/Christmas. It certainly won't hold up in the way I see Splatoon 2 holding up, but it'll still sell respectable numbers for a brand new IP.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden