By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Shipments Reach 63.3 Million, 3.3 million units between April 1 and June 30

The big difference between the PS4 and the PS3 is that the PS3 *could* have reached 100m, but couldn't due to its continued high cost, even when they were about to stop manufacturing you just couldn't get a PS3 cheap because of the stupid Cell processor which made it really expensive to produce.

When PS4 starts to drop in price again (199) it'll fly off the shelves, you'll get users buying multiples of them. I think if the Pro can drop in price that will also help push more upgraders. 100m is within its grasp no doubt.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Lenny93 said:
DonFerrari said:

Based on?

You do know that new gens are usually brought when HW sales drop steepy and SW drop as well right?

Do you expect MS to but Scorpio this holiday and in 1 year kick another generation to make Sony release a PS5? Or do you expect Scorpio to outsell PS4 vanilla so much that Sony get desperate to launch PS5 or what?

Sony stated that they were returning to a more typical generation length, the previous one was protracted because it took the playstation 3 so long to be profitable, so I think 6 years is about right. 

I think the PS4 has peaked already, I suspect that total year sales will go down this year and the next enough to justify a 2019 release for the PS5, it's nothing to do with XBox One X, it's not a legit threat to the PS4. Before you sony fans burst a blood vessel, this is just my opinion, I could be completely wrong.

But releasing the Pro and PSVR to streech the gen may make the gen go for the 7th or 8th year

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

1.1m sales per month in the slow period.  Excellent. July/August/September is usually slow too although it's got titles like DQ11, crash,  Everybody’s Golf and uncharted releasing this quarter.  Also possibly fifa.  Another big quarter expected. 

Turkish said:

" Sony Corp. posted group-wide net income of $722 million, up 282 percent from the same quarter last year, as the company's turnaround continued to bear fruit. "

Looks like all their divisions are in the black except Sony Pictures, and all of them seem to be earning more than Playstation except Mobile.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/17q1_sony.pdf

Lenny93 said:
Does anyone still expect it to surpass the Wii in sales?

You're asking whether a console that sold 63M in 3.5 years has another 40M in it left lol.

Lol remember last quarter all the experts claiming Playstation is carrying Sony and they should sell all other divisions lol. 

DaveTheMinion13 said:
Nearly 2x what the Switch had shipped in that period 1.9 million to 3.3 million

Extended it's lead over Switch by 1.4m this quarter.  Not bad. 

Big growth in China for Sony.  Already bigger then other areas. 

Lenny93 said:
Barkley said:

Even with a November 2019 ps5 release, the ps4 will easily surpass the Wii. It will ship 18 Million this year as forcast by Sony, bringing the total to 78m by March 2018, let's say the following year this number drops to 14 million, that's your total of 92m already shipped by March 2019. Then there's another 7 months till it's successor and let's not forget sales post-ps5.

I am predicting sales, not shipments.

sales and shipments are the same thing, pretty much every unit that is shipped will also be sold - the very last ones maybe at $70 in a clearance sale, but they will be sold given enough time

Around the Network
Lenny93 said:

How can anyone not? The console still has a lot of life left in it, albeit more than it's had so far. If Sony can sell more than their 79 million by March 31st 2018, it'll be closing in on that 100 million mark in no time. Sony having the majority of the huge third party deals this year, plus a potentional price cut for both PS4 and Pro, they're pretty guaranteed to kill it in sales. Keep in mind, it's still tracking ahead of PS2. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Lenny93 said:
Hiku said:

That seems to be what most people expect.
Do you still believe PS4 will only outsell PS3 by 3 million?
Not like PS3 had any problems or anything.

I think it will sale 92 million and I expect the PlayStation 5 to be released in November 2019. 

Even if that happends, the PS4 will be over 100m by November 2019.  Also the PS4 would still sell a few years more, after the PS5.

March 2018 : 78-80m. (theyre forecasting 18m, I think it might do upwards of 20, thus hitting 80m shipped).

March 2019 : 96-98m (theyre probably going to do atleast 16m shipped)  (before the holidays of 2019, it ll be over 100m)

March 2020 : 109-111m (they should do atleast 13m shipped this year) (this year near the end the PS5 launches, which effects sales)

March 2021 : 117-119m.   (With PS5 out, I doubt it does more than 5-6m this year)

March 2022 : 123-125m.  + whatever else small amounts it sells in the comeing years.

A optimist could claim it looks like PS4 could go over 130m if things go well for it.

You have to be the oppersite, a seriously hard-arsed pessimist to expect less than 100m sales for PS4 atm.

I personally dont think PS5 will release before 2020.

2019 release is too early for PS5.

Lenny93 said:

A lot of people do, actually.

thismeintiel said:
Lenny93 said:

I think it will sale 92 million and I expect the PlayStation 5 to be released in November 2019. 

Sony's prediction is to be down by 2M from last F Y year. This report is the first for this FY and they are only down by 200K.  There is little chance they are going to drop 1.8M more in the remaining FY.  Even if they drop 200K each quarter, that's only 800K down for the whole FY. In other words, Sony was being slightly conservative with their forecast.  

Personally, I only see them being down by 1M, so they will be have sold 79M by March 2018.  Do you seriously think that the PS4 is only going to sell 13M for the remaining 3-4 years it's on the market?  Come on, be realistic.  It'll sell 13M, at the very least, up until the next FY is over, March 2019.

The PS4 is outselling the Wii.  Just like the PS1 and PS2 did.

Sony had a Massive Holiday Quarter last year. 9.7 million. I doubt Sony can come close to it this year without dropping the price. 

To me, all indication shows that Sony has no intention of dropping PS4 price permanently this year. If they do drop price than it can definitely do in the range of 9 - 10 million in the holiday quarter. Else I think it will be below 9 million for sure. 

Sony has mostly done near to what it has predicted for the year. Rarely has it overshot those initial estimates. 

Noobie said:
thismeintiel said:

Sony's prediction is to be down by 2M from last F Y year. This report is the first for this FY and they are only down by 200K.  There is little chance they are going to drop 1.8M more in the remaining FY.  Even if they drop 200K each quarter, that's only 800K down for the whole FY. In other words, Sony was being slightly conservative with their forecast.  

Personally, I only see them being down by 1M, so they will be have sold 79M by March 2018.  Do you seriously think that the PS4 is only going to sell 13M for the remaining 3-4 years it's on the market?  Come on, be realistic.  It'll sell 13M, at the very least, up until the next FY is over, March 2019.

The PS4 is outselling the Wii.  Just like the PS1 and PS2 did.

Sony had a Massive Holiday Quarter last year. 9.7 million. I doubt Sony can come close to it this year without dropping the price. 

To me, all indication shows that Sony has no intention of dropping PS4 price permanently this year. If they do drop price than it can definitely do in the range of 9 - 10 million in the holiday quarter. Else I think it will be below 9 million for sure. 

Sony has mostly done near to what it has predicted for the year. Rarely has it overshot those initial estimates. 

If they don't drop the price and instead drop it next year then 2018 might be it's peak.