By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are You Good at Your Job?

Tagged games:

How good are you at your job?

I'm one of the best in the world? 24 15.29%

Very good. Best in my com... 36 22.93%

Good enough. 71 45.22%

Mediocre or Barely qualified. 14 8.92%

So bad. Surprised I have not been fired yet. 12 7.64%

Total:157

HR Advisor for a University. Acted Senior HR Partner for a couple of years. Have to be decent at it just to survive a day's work!

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Around the Network

I'm a Medical Device engineer, and am in charge of Quality support for several product lines my company manufactures. When it comes to line support, corrective actions, and continuous improvement, I feel I'm great at my job....which is fortunately the bulk of what I do.

However...part of my role is that I manage a small group of technicians, which is something I honestly feel I have a lot of room to improve on. Giving people bad news is something I'm just not good at. I've had to give major reprimands on two separate occasions, one on an older woman for watching TV on the job, and another on a young girl for getting in a fight with a fellow employee. The first one just didn't care..the second one starting crying right in the middle of the conversation. Obviously wasn't really satisfied with either.

In the future, I'd like to take more leadership courses to improve on this...though I also feel my passive personality makes this a hurdle. We'll see.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Did dish/bus/ make food for a pizza place. Was the best at the first 2, the 3rd not so much.

Also wrapped windows at a window factory, was good at the actual wrapping, but troubleshooting the machine was annoying.

But now I am just a student, which I was good in High School and then terrible in College. I recently turned everything around so I am good again.

Overall: Great when I want to be! :P.

Super_Boom said:
I'm a Medical Device engineer, and am in charge of Quality support for several product lines my company manufactures. When it comes to line support, corrective actions, and continuous improvement, I feel I'm great at my job....which is fortunately the bulk of what I do.

However...part of my role is that I manage a small group of technicians, which is something I honestly feel I have a lot of room to improve on. Giving people bad news is something I'm just not good at. I've had to give major reprimands on two separate occasions, one on an older woman for watching TV on the job, and another on a young girl for getting in a fight with a fellow employee. The first one just didn't care..the second one starting crying right in the middle of the conversation. Obviously wasn't really satisfied with either.

In the future, I'd like to take more leadership courses to improve on this...though I also feel my passive personality makes this a hurdle. We'll see.

So it's your fault that network and security features in medical equipment is mostly garbage?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm doing administrative work for the German government.

It's not a hard job, but you certainly need experience and knowledge of the chancellery's structure throughout the past few terms. I guess I'm not the best in my team, but we're all on a similar (high) level.

Around the Network

I'm efficient. Is that good? I'm not sure.

Although for the job I'm in I'm good, as I know alot of how things work, ins and outs kinda things. My skills sadly though would not translate over to another job easily, which is an issue.

Hmm, pie.

gergroy said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Stuff

Dude, just enroll in an online program.  You can go at your own pace and nobody is watching you.  You can get still get your diploma!  Worst case it prepares you for the GED.  Plenty of opportunities man, don't give up!

Lol, you are funny : P That probably would have been the better response

Idk lol

vivster said:

So it's your fault that network and security features in medical equipment is mostly garbage?

Ha...wish it was that glamorous. The product line I support is essentially a silly straw with a plastic hub. 

Only software I get to work with is on our testing equipment...which is about as complex as a TI-84 calculator.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
VGPolyglot said:

I can't imagine dropping out of school myself. What lead to you doing that?

Well a lot of things lead to it. I was "friends" with the nerds who constantly made fun of me for my low grades, and even when I got good grades I was reminded that I was in normal classes like algebra where as they were in Pre-calc. So I decided Junior year I would take all AP/college classes and try my hardest, however my depression became extremely bad to the point where I became apathetic to school work and didn't do it. I became paranoid about what others thought about me, and I became even more suicidal than I was last year(and not in a typical overdramatic teenage fashion where losing a football game makes you tie a knot). So I didn't care about doing anything because my mindset was it won't matter soon enough anyways, of course it's easier to think about something than to actually do it, which is why even now I'm still around sucking up oxygen because it's not an easy decision to make. My parent started to figure out how bad school was affecting me even though I try never to complain or talk about anything, and since I had an F in every class (like literal 0%s) and school was ending in only 2 and a half months, She decide that I can just stay home. I didn't know that she actually talked to the principal to make a plan for the school to make a meeting where all the teachers came together and made a plan for me to pass in time. Of course I thought I was simply not in school anymore but apparently I was actually supposed to go back. So a month or two later and the school had not contacted her again and she found out they kicked me without even calling. I wasn't upset because I thought I was already un-enrolled, but apparently she was still waiting for the meeting from the principal. Since the principal never arranged one, they just took me out of the public school program. I honestly can't blame them. Anyways it was technically illegal for me to drop out, since I wasn't 17 yet till after school ended, although I guess the school kicked me out so I don't know if it was illegal, but either way missing two months of school is illegal anyways. I'm surprised I didn't get a cop call.

I guess this is tmi but I feel that putting too little would make the answer unjustified. I agree that it's almost never justified, leaving school. Even now it was a pretty stupid decision hahahahaha. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! It was clearly a mistake 

How old are you? what sort of job environment do you feel most comfortable with? I am asking because I want to give you suggestions. 

I´m a storeroom keeper / stockman (never found the right word in English for my profession)

I´m sure I´m good enough to be the best in my company.... because I am always correcting everyone else´s work, including the work of managers from other divisions (finances, contracts, buyers etc.). Contracts management, in particular, became a huge mess last time I went on vacations .....