By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Splatoon 2 sells 671k first week in Japan

Software a little lower, but still pretty great.

Hardware way lower than I'd like to see, but considering how badly Nintendo is failing at stock it isn't surprising.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

Around the Network

Thats really good. Could be over 700k with digital.

Great start would we estimate 750K first three day launch with Eshop sales?  Do we have any data on Eshop ratios in Japan?

the_dengle said:
So much for over a million first week.

I tried to warn y'all

Uh no. But this is still no small feat. Splatoon has now hit phenom status in Japan.

Not bad. I wonder if it can take Smash Bros' place of being the default Nintendo online multiplayer experience. Or is the online community of Mario Kart already bigger than both?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

120 or 102K?

EDIT: I honestly feel like some people overestimated Splatoon 2's sales potential. How many games in Japan have sold 500K+ copies in opening week in the last few years, anyway? Lots of Pokémon, MH and Yokai Watch games, sure, but not many things beyond those. 670K seem pretty solid to me, especially considering that Switch has sold just above 1.2 million units. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Software Sales are lower than I expected.
Hardware sales are higher than I expected.

My consensus: I am neutral on this prediction.

Anyway these sales are good but expected. I am more interested on the legs on this one. Could the franchise grow to unreasonable heights? We will have to wait and see.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I expect some good legs too, since so many people who wanted the console and the game couldn't get it.

Jranation said:
It easily beat Zelda and MK8D! New king is here!
MC should be about the same. But yeah expected closer to 800k.

Any news on how much its stock sold?

Numbers are like monster? So you think this game dont havd Digital Downloads? 

mZuzek said:
vivster said:
Not bad. I wonder if it can take Smash Bros' place of being the default Nintendo online multiplayer experience. Or is the online community of Mario Kart already bigger than both?

I'm pretty sure Splatoon is already the default Nintendo online multiplayer experience, even if it might not have the largest amount of users. Mario Kart and Smash have big online communities, but they both thrive a lot more as local multiplayer games, whereas Splatoon is heavily focused on the online and has a much more connected fanbase because of stuff like the Inkopolis posts or Splatfests.

Thought so.

Then again, there still is Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.