By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter commentary on Japanese Games

Yeah, most western titles also sell "mediocre" by some standards. Giants like GTA, FIFA and CoD are the exception, not the rule. If you compare games to such juggernauts, anything will look tiny in comparison.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Well I wouldn't say no one cares, but it is definitly less impactful towards the success of a platform. Look at the Vita and WiiU (Primarily Japanese) vs PS3 and XBO (Primarily Western). Without Major Western support WiiU and Vita could not gain traction. On the other hand PS3 and XBO did quite well even with less than stellar Japanese support.

Outside of Japan, Japanese games are niche for the most part. Western titles whether developed in Canada, The US, or Europe are pretty popular on both sides of the Atlantic, with some even having decent success in Japan.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I guess Kingdom Hearts III is going to flop then.

Japan

Western countries.

1. Andorra
  2. Argentina
  3. Australia
  4. Austria
  5. Belgium
  6. Canada
  7. Chile
  8. Croatia
  9. Czech Republic
  10. Denmark
  11. Estonia
  12. Finland
  13. France
  14. Germany
  15. Greece
  16. Hungary
  17. Iceland
  18. Ireland
  19. Israel
  20. Italy
  21. Latvia
  22. Liechtenstein
  23. Lithuania
  24. Luxembourg
  25. Malta
  26. Monaco
  27. Netherlands
  28. New Zealand
  29. Norway
  30. Poland
  31. Portugal
  32. San Marino
  33. Slovakia
  34. Slovenia
  35. Spain
  36. Sweden
  37. Switzerland
  38. United Kingdom
  39. United States
  40. Vatican City

Ka-pi96 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Japan

Western countries.

1. Andorra
  2. Argentina
  3. Australia
  4. Austria
  5. Belgium
  6. Canada
  7. Chile
  8. Croatia
  9. Czech Republic
  10. Denmark
  11. Estonia
  12. Finland
  13. France
  14. Germany
  15. Greece
  16. Hungary
  17. Iceland
  18. Ireland
  19. Israel
  20. Italy
  21. Latvia
  22. Liechtenstein
  23. Lithuania
  24. Luxembourg
  25. Malta
  26. Monaco
  27. Netherlands
  28. New Zealand
  29. Norway
  30. Poland
  31. Portugal
  32. San Marino
  33. Slovakia
  34. Slovenia
  35. Spain
  36. Sweden
  37. Switzerland
  38. United Kingdom
  39. United States
  40. Vatican City

That's... a pretty strange list of western countries you've got there. Argentina and Chile are western, but not Brazil and Mexico? israel are western but not Turkey or Russia? Australia and New Zealand are western? And where are the rest of the balkan countries?

Don't worry about the small things.

But I think Russian (world of tanks) and east europian games are included western games.

Around the Network

As an analyst he should know that raw sales numbers don't mean anything if the input value isn't known. A game selling 3.5m doesn't have to be more profitable than another game selling "only" 2m. Profit is not defined as selling as many units as possible. Also, he forgets that most games drop in price shortly after release. It's unclear how many of those 3.5m sales come from the time after that game landed in the discount bin.

On a side note, his argumentation skills are terrible. For me it sounds like: "It is like I said because I said so!"

Well that's no news, even on vgchartz their is only one Japanese game in the top 25 PS4 games. This days it is probably better for sales to have the advertisement rights for games like Fifa/Destiny than having an exclusive Japanese game.

"Yes, Japanese games don’t matter in the larger scheme of things, you are talking about 2 million units, I mean, a piece of crap like Mafia 3 sold 5 million units, and that game is a piece of crap. So, no, 2 million units is a rounding error, that doesn’t matter. No one is making money off of that."

Hes talking about Persona 5 here.... well screw you Pachter you dont know what your talking about.
Lots of people really enjoyed that game.

JRPGfan said:
"Yes, Japanese games don’t matter in the larger scheme of things, you are talking about 2 million units, I mean, a piece of crap like Mafia 3 sold 5 million units, and that game is a piece of crap. So, no, 2 million units is a rounding error, that doesn’t matter. No one is making money off of that."

Hes talking about Persona 5 here.... well screw you Pachter you dont know what your talking about.

If no one is making money out of that then why does Persona "5" exist?

PEEPer0nni said:
JRPGfan said:

If no one is making money out of that then why does Persona "5" exist?

Out of the kindness of their hearts? they make games for us fans? >_>

I hope their makeing something from it.

Its a shame so many people buy the next CoD no matter what, but dont give game series like Persona a chance.