By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best game ever made? Here's a poll. UPDATE.

What do you think is the best game ever made?

Final Fantasy VII 163 15.23%

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 486 45.42%

Street Fighter II 20 1.87%

Resident Evil 2 32 2.99%

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 19 1.78%

Super Mario 64 140 13.08%

Grand Theft Auto V 90 8.41%

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 28 2.62%

Minecraft 24 2.24%

Star Wars Kinect 68 6.36%

Total:1,070

To everyone saying Witcher III: The combat consists of using the force push spell to knock all human enemies down and then finishing them off. The dialogue is way too long winded. Potions are pretty much useless in the game.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the Witcher III,  and would recommend it to most people, but it has some huge glaring flaws.

Around the Network

The most hipster game you can think of.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Of the poll options, SM64.

In my opinion - Skyward Sword.

Not sure why you added RE2 and not RE4 which is widely considered the best game in the franchise?

Cerebralbore101 said:
WolfpackN64 said:
I'd say Stardew Valley. Tremendous production quality in everything from the spritework to the soundtrack and the stories. All made by one guy who priced it very affordably considering just how much game there is.

I find the game very calming and enjoyable and it helps me getting through busier times.

Wait. I thought Stardew Valley was made by Chucklefish. Damn that's impressive. 

Chucklefish only published the game. The game was made entirely by Eric Barone AKA ConcernedApe.

Around the Network

Hiku said:
Jumpin said:

Resident Evil 2 was the biggest game in the series by far. It was pretty much THE game until Ocarina of Time. When RE4 came out, it didn't have that same kind of hype or lustre of RE2. RE4 was big, but it was never the IT game like RE2 was in the day. RE4 is was like Skyward Sword or FF13-2, while RE2 was more like Breath of the Wild or FF7.

According to VG Chartz, RE2 ended up just under 6 million, while RE4 sold 3.6M on its PS2 launch, and then later 2.2M on the Wiimake. But if anyone is like me, then they bought both versions of the game, while it is unlikely any more than a very trivial number (like maybe 0.001%) bought multiple copies of RE2 on PSX. Plus the series was still new and fresh back then, it didn't have the strong legacy of past releases going for it.

That would be Final Fantasy VII, and Metal Gear Solid.
Resident Evil 2 was never the big phenomenon that Resident Evil 4 was. One of the highest rated games of all time (96 on Metacritic for CG), and won pretty much every game of the year award. It stood out so much partially because of how it broke the formula with a more action oriented approach, while every previous RE was more of the same, including RE2. FF7 and MGS also brought a lot of fresh and unique elements to the series, being the first 3D games in the franchise.
And you left out the GC sales of RE4 for some reason. But lets go with Capcoms official numbers instead of VGC:

Resident Evil 4 has as of Sep 2016 sold 6,67m according to Capcom. While RE2 has sold 5.72m.
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Capcom_games

Although I wouldn't use sales numbers to measure how good the games were. RE5 and 6 sold more than RE4 and 2.

If you look at top 50/100 lists of the greatest games of all time, you'll consistently find Resident Evil 4 higher up on the list than RE2, if RE2 even makes the list at all.

IGN: RE4 #43, RE2 #82
Time magazine: RE4 #46, RE2 N/A
Game Informer: RE4 #18, RE2 #41
Edge: RE4 #9, RE2 N/A

On Wikipedia there is a page dedicated to compiling a list of games that have more frequently been ranked among the best ever by video game journalists. The more nominations, the higher up on the list a game ends up.
Resident Evil 4 is ranked 12th on that list, while RE2 is ranked 66th.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best

Sales of RE2:

1 Resident Evil 2 PS 1998 Action Virgin Interactive 1.88 1.47 2.02 0.45 5.82
2 Resident Evil 2 N64 1999 Action Virgin Interactive 0.39 0.09 0.07 0.01 0.56
3 Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition PS 1998 Action Capcom 0.00 0.00 0.26 0.02 0.27

Sales of RE4:

1 Resident Evil 4 PS2 2005 Action Capcom 2.08 0.83 0.46 0.25 3.62
2 Resident Evil 4 Wii 2007 Action Capcom 1.32 0.56 0.14 0.20 2.22
3 Resident Evil 4 GC 2005 Action Capcom 0.98 0.42 0.22 0.06 1.69
4 Resident Evil 4 HD PS4 2016 Shooter Capcom 0.07 0.00 0.01 0.02 0.10
5 Resident Evil 4 HD XOne 2016 Shooter Capcom 0.04 0.00 0.00 0.01 0.05
6 Resident Evil 4 PC 2007 Action Ubisoft 0.00 0.02 0.00 0.00 0.03

Consider also the platforms:

For RE2:

4 PlayStation (PS) 38.94 36.91 19.36 9.04 104.25
14 Nintendo 64 (N64) 20.11 6.35 5.54 0.93 32.93

For RE4:

1 PlayStation 2 (PS2) 53.65 55.28 23.18 25.57 157.68
5 Wii (Wii) 45.38 33.75 12.77 9.28 101.18
19 GameCube (GC) 12.55 4.44 4.04 0.71 21.74

Obviously, significantly larger userbases RE4 was sold to, and across multiple generations where many users likely bought multiple versions considering the substantial upgrades to the Wii version, in particular. Yet on PSX, RE2 VASTLY outsold any version of RE4. And those lists you posted are not based on which games were bigger, it was based on what games those sources liked more; Pokemon Go was FAR larger than RE4 and I bet that game isn't on any of those lists.

On Metal Gear Solid, it launched much later in the year, just before Ocarina of Time, and despite the critical praise, it was a sleeper hit, picking up steam through 99 and 2000, especially with the hype of MGS2 around; all of this after Ocarina of Time. Resident Evil 2 was explosively popular at launch; and combining both dual shock and original releases, outsold MGS on PSX, lifetime.

The bottom line is, the critical ratings are fairly negligible in difference (96% average vs. 93%) , and RE2's lower scores are from reviews as much as a decade later, while RE4's reviews are mostly from the time of its release, when the game was brand new. Resident Evil 2, in its time, was the far more significant release. While the first Resident Evil introduced many people to the survival and horror genre, it was Resident Evil 2 that defined it, and turned it into the next big genre; with tens of millions of games sold across franchises Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, Echo Night, Dark Messiah, Koudelka, Galerians, Dark Tales, Chaos Break, Evil Dead, Countdown, and Dark Seed; and all largely in reaction to Resident Evil 2. Resident Evil 2 was the bomb.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

it's easy to know which would win, considering the demographic of this site.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

What is Star Wars kinect ?

Is a Knack 2's rival ?

Resident Evil 4

My top 10, with some explanation:

1 - LoZ: Ocarina of Time

The one perfect game imo. This game still has it for me. Left a profound impression back then, and even now I get goosebumps playing it.

2 - Pokemon Gold/Silver

I remember waiting for 3 hours in line to get this game. Holy shit was it worth every penny. Day and night cycles, new Pokemon, best post-game with more gyms, super comfy.

3 - Mother 3

Played a translation version on an emulator (had no choice). Guys, if you have a brother, tell them that you love them. Real tearjerker and guaranteed masterpiece.

4 - LoZ: Breath of the Wild

This game hit the right spot at the right time for me. I'm currently at about 225 hours of play, and I don't intend to stop playing.

5 - Xenogears

Would be higher if the game wasn't rushed near the end. RPG with mechs by the guys who after this game went on to become Monolith Soft, who made so many of my favorite games.

6 - Xenoblade

This game is such a good RPG. The characters are really fun and you really connect to the story through them. Gameplay is solid and that world and music...

7 - Super Mario Galaxy

One of the best platformers ever made. We need a HD remake of this.

8 - Terranigma

I can't believe Americans never got to experience this game when it came out. This game is imo better than Chrono Trigger.

9 - Chrono Trigger

Epic RPG. I recently replayed it on the DS, which for me is the best version. Awesome music, great memorable characters, cool ending mechanic.

10 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

So glad I still have my copy. This game is so hilariously broken, it makes it incredibly fun to play. I remember the first time I got Crissaegrim. Such a beautiful game, I really love the spritework.