By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Don't forget to leave feedback on the Nintendo App

mjk45 said:
potato_hamster said:

Ahh, so what you confirm that there actually is no technical reason, Nintendo just made poor design choices. Got it.

I'm confused since the audio port is accessable from the top when docked.

That doesn't even matter. Nintendo chose to put it in the body of the Switch itself rather than in the controllers like Sony and MS does. Furthermore, there are plenty of mic jack -> wireless headset solutions that could have been used if someone wants to use a headset while the system is docked.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Ganoncrotch said:

This comment actually made my eye twitch it's so bad. Congratz on that.

Ohh I'm sorry, did you think was witty or something?

Nintendo could easily choose to either put a microphone on the Switch or the joycons/pro controller, as they did with the DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U, or put the microphone jack in a location that it's accessable while it's docked. These are choices Nintendo made that they technically were not forced into due to other critical aspects of the design that did they could not reasonably change. All of the PCBs in the Switch are custom, as is the casing. That means that they could put the microphone jack where ever they wanted. Also, considering the inclusion of a microphone would cost Nintendo about one cent per unit, it likely cost Nintendo to develop and maintain the Nintendo App on phones than they would ever spend including a microphone, there's no cost reasons either.

There are no technical reason why Nintendo couldn't have have voice chat built into the Switch. None.

Still struggling I see.

Mic in Switch, useless when docked.

Mic in joycon, useless for motion control games like ARMS/Just Dance.

Switch is built for portable gaming and 2 player gaming. Using a smart device is a better solution.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
potato_hamster said:

Ohh I'm sorry, did you think was witty or something?

Nintendo could easily choose to either put a microphone on the Switch or the joycons/pro controller, as they did with the DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U, or put the microphone jack in a location that it's accessable while it's docked. These are choices Nintendo made that they technically were not forced into due to other critical aspects of the design that did they could not reasonably change. All of the PCBs in the Switch are custom, as is the casing. That means that they could put the microphone jack where ever they wanted. Also, considering the inclusion of a microphone would cost Nintendo about one cent per unit, it likely cost Nintendo to develop and maintain the Nintendo App on phones than they would ever spend including a microphone, there's no cost reasons either.

There are no technical reason why Nintendo couldn't have have voice chat built into the Switch. None.

Still struggling I see.

Switch is built for portable gaming and 2 player gaming. Using a smart device is a better solution.

If only there was a way for two devices like a headset and a console to communicate wirelessly. If only there was an adapter to send and recieve wirless signals and convert them into a signal used for a headset jack... maybe then someone could come up with a solution. Ohh well.

potato_hamster said:
mjk45 said:

I'm confused since the audio port is accessable from the top when docked.

That doesn't even matter. Nintendo chose to put it in the body of the Switch itself rather than in the controllers like Sony and MS does.

Idk, it'll feel kinda weird playing ARMS with motion controls. Plus you have to consider putting outlets for both joy cons.

potato_hamster said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Still struggling I see.

If only there was a way for two devices like a headset and a console to communicate wirelessly. If only there was an adapter to send and recieve wirless signals and convert them into a signal used for a headset jack... maybe then someone could come up with a solution. Ohh well.

You think headsets are suited to games like ARMS? Not very portable either, are they? Sounds like a lot of messing about when you can just use a smartphone.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
potato_hamster said:

That doesn't even matter. Nintendo chose to put it in the body of the Switch itself rather than in the controllers like Sony and MS does.

Idk, it'll feel kinda weird playing ARMS with motion controls. Plus you have to consider putting outlets for both joy cons.

and what does that matter. Using headphone jacks is just one solution. Nintendo has used microphone arrays in the past with Wii and Wii U and it could be used here again, or, you know, wireless solutions. It is 2017, after all.

Pyro as Bill said:
potato_hamster said:

You think headsets are suited to games like ARMS? Not very portable either, are they? Sounds like a lot of messing about when you can just use a smartphone.

Sure, why can't headset be suitable for games like arms? I don't know, how do athletes manage to listen to music while they're running/training/at the gym?

They must be magicians!

You know that headsets can look like this, right?

potato_hamster said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Sure, why can't headset be suitable for games like arms? I don't know, how do athletes manage to listen to music while they're running/training/at the gym?

They must be magicians!

So we're adding the cost of upto 4 wireless headsets for ARMS and 8 wireless headsets for Just Dance.

Do you see how silly your 'solution' is when you take into account motion control, price, simplicity, local multiplayer?

Pyro as Bill said:
potato_hamster said:

They must be magicians!

So we're adding the cost of upto 4 wireless headsets for ARMS and 8 wireless headsets for Just Dance.

Do you see how silly your 'solution' is when you take into account motion control, price, simplicity, local multiplayer?

You're right. That sure is more expensive than 4/8 cell phones. Yup.

Microphone array then? Worked plenty fine on Wii and Wii U. They can offer multiple voice chat options, including the phone app. It doesn't have to be just one.

potato_hamster said:
Pyro as Bill said:

You're right. That sure is more expensive than 4/8 cell phones. Yup.

Microphone array then? Worked plenty fine on Wii and Wii U. They can offer multiple voice chat options, including the phone app. It doesn't have to be just one.

How about instead of buying and carrying a Wii Speak 2 everywhere we just use our phones instead? I'm guessing that 8 players would have more than one phone (mic) between them so combined they'd have an .......array.

edit: you wouldn't need to have 8 phones if they're on loudspeaker would you? One would do fine.