By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I finally managed to preorder a Switch.

The key part being preorder.

So this morning, GAME Spain updated their site to announce they will receive Switch supplies later this month. less than an hour later, when I arrive to the store, all the Splatoon Switch bundles are gone, but at the very least I manage to preorder a regular Switch. Now, after a quite decent chase for the console, I just have to wait until it arrives.

Now, for Switch owners, what devices and accesories am I going to need for the Switch? I've heard that I can't charge the joycons unless I put them on the console while it's on. Even if I'll be getting a Pro controller, how do I charge them?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

To charge the joycons, you just connect them to the Switch while docked or plugged into the wall, and no it does not need to be on (if the switch is docked or charging, it is always in sleep mode when not in use.  There is no way to turn it "off" while docked). They charge quick and last a really long time, so anything extra is just added convenience at this point. I would also pick up a pro controller for a spare as well.

I mean most of the must have accessories come with it. Just take a look on amazon and see what interests you.

Oh I would buy a hard carrying case to protect it in portable mode and screen protectors are a must, preferably tempered glass as they are cheap and work wonders.

Congrats on your purchase!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

My suggestion:

A Pro controller

Tempered glass screen cover. They're very inexpensive.
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1312.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xswitch+.TRS2&_nkw=switch+tempered+glass&_sacat=0

A hard shell case is something nice to have.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Shell-Carrying-Case-EVA-Storage-Bag-Cover-Protector-For-Nintendo-Switch-/282391603017?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202348%2526meid%253Ddd986411f67342039bf684546feb9e7d%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D4%2526rkt%253D23%2526sd%253D232303056587&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

As far as the JoyCons, they do charge while the system is off. You can't charge them with the comfort grip. But the battery life is 20 hours. I've never had to stop playing because of charging.

Cool, get Snipperclips, and a friend.

Attaching the Joy Cons to the console any time it is plugged into the wall or docked will charge the Joy Cons. Honestly, I just made it a habbit that when I was done for the day, if I was playing in console mode, I put the Joy Con back on the system. Never once had an issue with their charge. And if you use it in handheld mode, the Joy Con batteries last far longer than the system will at 20 hours.

Immediate purchases considerations in my mind are a screen protector, a case, and a micro SD, though these are not necessarily necessities depending on your intentions with the system and purchasing habbits.

Screen protectors are easy to look up and there are tempered glas ones.

For Micro SD, be sure and buy a good quality one. This one is good https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XWZWYVP/ref=psdcmw_3015433011_t1_B010Q57S62 . But you may not need one for months. I have had a Switch since launch, haven't needed one yet because I've bought physical copies whenever possible.

If you intend to use it as a handheld, get a case. My vote goes to the RDS case: https://www.amazon.com/Industries-Nintendo-Switch-Traveler-Deluxe-Travel/dp/B01MY9JB2U It has the best design, it holds the games securely in those cases in a compartment under the system so they don't get loose and bounce around, they case is sturdy, the pouch acts as a flap that protects the screen and velcroes in place so that it also holds the system firmly. The inside of the case also has little indentations for the ZL and ZR so that the system sits flat. You can also get this in multiple different looks.

This will vary depending on who you ask, but I don't think the Pro Controller is *needed*. It is an excellent controller and is superior to the Joy Con grip, but the Joy Con grip is plenty sufficient. The Pro Controller is a great purchase down the line though.

Around the Network

Get 2-3amp usb charger (unless you already have one) and 2m USB-C cable. This is absolutely essential. Extra joy cons or pro controller are optional IMO. I was rocking on joycons just fine until SF2 came out, for which Pro controller is a must. You'll thank me later.

Get a pro controller. The standard controller is fine, but it's no pro controller. It's expensive but worth it.

I've heard many storys about people snagging a Switch pre-order but then having it cancelled, hope you wont be one of them! Also everyone says get a screen protector but I don't really see the need for it as long as you get a case. My Switch is either in the dock, in the case, or in my hands, so I don't see how the screen is gonna scratched. Infact none of my handhelds have a broken screen. But all up to you of course!

-Lonely_Dolphin

Hope it doesn't get cancelled on you. I finally got one last night. I just ordered a starter kit, and I will be getting a Pro Controller at some point.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Just got my Switch two days ago so I know how excited you are! You're going to love it, already loving mine like it's my first born child! I'd recommend the Pro controller if you've got big hands, the grip, joycon combo doesn't bode well for people with big hands!