By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 'Dunkirk' First Reactions Are Overwhelmingly Positive

It's a really short Nolan movie tho (1h 47m). Not really excited about that. Probably means it's very story-focused without any emotional aspects like his previous movies. But that is kinda expected from a war-movie.

Around the Network
HintHRO said:
It's a really short Nolan movie tho (1h 47m). Not really excited about that. Probably means it's very story-focused without any emotional aspects like his previous movies. But that is kinda expected from a war-movie.

I think there's not room for a big movie if he wanted to focus on a short, intense and visual experience. The movie doesn't seem to have lots of dialogue, so it's fitting that it's more on the short side.

I love christopher Nolan movies. Great entertainment. Nice to see another world war 2 movie but im so sick of no big hollywood producer implementing the true german perspective, not as blood hungry killers like in inglorious bastards, but more of how it was for them and that they can show how americans/allied were the enemy. Im still preatty interested in the movie, its world war 2 and thats mostly enough for me!

97alexk said:

I love christopher Nolan movies. Great entertainment. Nice to see another world war 2 movie but im so sick of no big hollywood producer implementing the true german perspective, not as blood hungry killers like in inglorious bastards, but more of how it was for them and that they can show how americans/allied were the enemy. Im still preatty interested in the movie, its world war 2 and thats mostly enough for me!

If you haven't already, you should have a look at generation war. It follows Germans during the war on the eastern front from beginning to end. For a 3 part series I think the production values are very good and seeing how things slowly goes sour and the increasing desperation is really neat. 

Maybe I'm not 'cultured' enough but the movie comes off a bit...boring. I've never really liked historical pieces but I might end up seeing it cause my brother is excited for it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Last two/three times I went to the movies, I remember seeing his trailer(s). Three 15 second snippets scattered through the previews, which I didn't find bad, but curious. I thought that showing these trailers repeatedly was a sign that this movie was not going to be good and that they were over-promoting it with Nolan's name on it for audiences to flock to it.

I'm glad that I was wrong and that the movie will be good.

dyremose said:
97alexk said:

If you haven't already, you should have a look at generation war. It follows Germans during the war on the eastern front from beginning to end. For a 3 part series I think the production values are very good and seeing how things slowly goes sour and the increasing desperation is really neat. 

I seen it, and i loved it. Very rare to show that kind of stuff especially from a german production.

97alexk said:

The problem you are going to have there is no one is going to forget the war crimes committed by Germany who were the agressors in that war whether you like it or not.  It's kinda like how it's hard to sell the Japanese as sympathetic due to Pearl Harbor (for the US market) and various war crimes in east and southeast Asia (for the Asian market). 

Only film I can think of that gives an interesting perspective is Valkyrie, which showed there were a lot of Germans who participated in the War effort as soldiers who weren't supporters of the madness behind the curtain but merely wanted the glory days of Germany back.  Which is really how a lot of the crazy stuff happened.  You can't convince the average individual to do a lot of the things the Nazi government did.  BUT you can convince them to allow it to happen in exchange for something they passionately want.  And a LOT of Germans wanted revenge for the treatment they received post-WWI and wanted the greatness of pre-WWI Germany restored.  That's why many people between the two wars predicted WWII was coming even though they knew little of the issues with the Nazi regime.  They could see clear as day that the resolution to WWI made WWII an inevitability. 

Nuvendil said:
97alexk said:

The problem you are going to have there is no one is going to forget the war crimes committed by Germany who were the agressors in that war whether you like it or not.  It's kinda like how it's hard to sell the Japanese as sympathetic due to Pearl Harbor (for the US market) and various war crimes in east and southeast Asia (for the Asian market). 

Only film I can think of that gives an interesting perspective is Valkyrie, which showed there were a lot of Germans who participated in the War effort as soldiers who weren't supporters of the madness behind the curtain but merely wanted the glory days of Germany back.  Which is really how a lot of the crazy stuff happened.  You can't convince the average individual to do a lot of the things the Nazi government did.  BUT you can convince them to allow it to happen in exchange for something they passionately want.  And a LOT of Germans wanted revenge for the treatment they received post-WWI and wanted the greatness of pre-WWI Germany restored.  That's why many people between the two wars predicted WWII was coming even though they knew little of the issues with the Nazi regime.  They could see clear as day that the resolution to WWI made WWII an inevitability. 

Only if you think the story being told is true, which i do not think. But lets not go down there. Even then americans during the world war 2 and allied did way more atrocious things than the germans, still they always perpatrated as the heroes. And thats why the sentence ''Victors write the history'' still stands very true to this day. But in this day and age with so much information going on, and different sides and enountering new perspectives and more people knowing how history REALLY was than just some made up fiction that nazis were bad and so it stands. Its not like that in the slightest and people still think nazis are bad because thats what they have been taught without even questioning it. So thats what i mean, look at generation wars. NOW thats how you do a real good representation of Nationalist germany. And i dont want any glorification of Nationlist germany either, I just want a movie with historically accuracies and some cool shi* without being too propaganda-like for either parts.

I am not a fan of Christopher Nolan, but I think this might be good. His movies are usually over long, filled with terrible dialogue, lack of emotion, are unnecessarily complicated and have too many plot holes. This one though sounds very different from his other movies.