By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DF: More Wii U Ports Heading To Switch! Is This A Good Thing?

Aeolus451 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Because you try to find reason that doesn't exist, you aiming that something was wrong so that's why Nintendo is doing some Wii U ports of on Switch, while you completely ignoring fact that today ports and remaster are common thing today. Why Sony done so many PS3 ports on PS4!? Obviously, easy money and more diverse and stronger lineup.  And Nintendo is releasing just two Wii U ports on Switch this year, its not like we have them 5+.

No, I'm open to possible reasons behind the ports. I'll go with your question. Why has sony done so many ports? To make more money and possibly for other reasons such as filling in holes in the release schedule. Hopefully the practice doesn't pull resources from other new games. You take this shit a little too seriously.

Personally, I'd rather these fuckers (yes, sony is included in that) just produce new IPs and release new additions to the established series. Ports are good for the companies but that doesn't put a new IP in my hands.  

*shrugs

But you dont have any other possible reason behind great ports from failed Wii U console that just very limited number of people had, remasters that not just are definitive versions but they offer full handheld mode, that will make Switch lineup more diverse and stronger and that will feel gap, and offcourse on those ports Nintendo will earn load of money.

You need to realise that port is not equal new game, port can be done in few monts with little resources, new games require much more time and much more resources, so it's not like that instead TLoU Remastered we could have TLoU 2 or instead MK8D we could have MK9, Sony said that TLoU Remaster was done in 6 monts, while they will be working few years on TloU2.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Aeolus451 said:

No, I'm open to possible reasons behind the ports. I'll go with your question. Why has sony done so many ports? To make more money and possibly for other reasons such as filling in holes in the release schedule. Hopefully the practice doesn't pull resources from other new games. You take this shit a little too seriously.

Personally, I'd rather these fuckers (yes, sony is included in that) just produce new IPs and release new additions to the established series. Ports are good for the companies but that doesn't put a new IP in my hands.  

*shrugs

But you dont have any other possible reason behind great ports from failed Wii U console that just very limited number of people had, remasters that not just are definitive versions but they offer full handheld mode, that will make Switch lineup more diverse and stronger and that will feel gap, and offcourse on those ports Nintendo will earn load of money.

You need to realise that port is not equal new game, port can be done in few monts with little resources, new games require much more time and much more resources, so it's not like that instead TLoU Remastered we could have TLoU 2 or instead MK8D we could have MK9, Sony said that TLoU Remaster was done in 6 monts, while they will be working few years on TloU2.

There's no damn buts. Is this really the bone you don't want to let go? 

Aeolus451 said:
Miyamotoo said:

There's no damn buts. Is this really the bone you don't want to let go? 

I made my point, I am out.

I would like a port of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I'm definitely not against WiiU Ports. The only thing I really bothered to play on my WiiU was Mario Kart 8, and a bit of Fast Racing Neo and 3D World.

Aside from the Platinum classics, Bayonetta (1+2) and Wonderful 101, the only Wii U game I would really think could benefit from being ported is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. That is a very good JRPG that got released both in Japan and America amid controversy among the Wii U and the game itself which caused sales to suffer. Hopefully a fresh release might get more people's attention as it is a pretty good game and before Persona 5 and FF XV dropped last year arguably the best original JRPG of the current generation for a few months.

Around the Network

This is a pattern for new consoles these days. The XboxOne, the PS4 and even the 3ds got lots of ports.

Heck... the PS4 is still getting some, like RE: Revelations.

So no big deal about it, I personally wouldn´t be interested in some of these games, because I´ve already played on the WiiU (like Pokken, or possibly Bayonetta) , but many people did not play them and will have the opportunity

Besides, there´s plenty of new games coming to the device,

Not really a good thing.

But the switch will probably had monthS without a big nintendo game, so they need ports for weak months.

Yes.

Nuvendil said:
Depends. If the ports are in place of efforts for new games that's troublesome. Also, I am not a huge fan of porting the biggest sellers. Rather, I want to see more games like Pokken: games that had a lot of sales potential that the Wii U was unable to tap into. So XCX, Bayonetta 2, Pokken, possibly Tokyo Mirage Sessions. These are all games that I think could have gone farther than they did. Stand alone third parties, that's their business what they want to do. And honestly, everyone is freaking out over these ports when the number of ACTUAL Wii U ports Nintendo has pushed thus far comes to 2. And there has been 1 3rd party port.

Unless the ports are being significantly reworked, it'd be pretty hard for them to take as much effort as original games. One involves tweaking the code and features of a game that's already made. The othe involves making code and assets from the ground up. 

TallSilhouette said:
I just hope whoever praises these ports wasn't criticizing 8th gen's or vice versa.

I was critical of the 8th gen for it. PS4 specifically. But this is different for two reasons:

1. In this case, ports will be more than just a minor visual upgrade. It'll make the games portable for the first time as well.

2. It's saving games from a failed console and making them available to what could potentially be a MUCH wider audience.

3. And most importantly, we are getting a bunch of amazing, original games in ADDITION to those ports. Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2. We don't even know what the final three months of the Switch's first year will hold, but in terms of new games it already looks like it'll blow the year one line ups of the other 8th gen consoles out of the water in terms of new, original, exclusive games. And that's ignoring Breath of the Wild, which technically isn't a late port, but a multiplatform release most were able to play first on Switch. With all the original stuff we are getting, I'm okay with getting a bunch of ports on top of it.

In this case it's a good thing for sure. There's only 13-14 million Wii U's out there so porting any games will give so many more people a chance to play, plus help to boost the Switchs library as well.
It's especially good if it takes little resources to port a game over.