By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Oddworld Creator, Lorne Lanning Exposes Nintendo! & Says Tasteless Stuff About Iwata!

Say whatever you want about Nintendo and the Switch, but saying "Personally, I think it killed Iwata," is as tasteless as can be. What a piece of shit. I now regret buying Oddworld on Wii U.

That said, this interview took place back in April, so it's not like he had four months of data to go from, and he obviously didn't have a dev kit back then either.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

some of that seems like legit issues though.

"He claimed that unless you release "day and date" with other versions of a multiformat game, Nintendo refuses to promote your title in any way."

^ like thats not a good stance to take if you want 3rd party support, or them to succede on your console.

Not really, I understand if big AAA games need more time because of the hardware. But indie games like oddworld should be there day one if they really want that free promotion, it's an incentive. But if Nintendo receives the last port then what's the point of promoting a niche indie game that you can play everywhere. That's not good business. I don't like that "we're indie so please understand" mentality.

For something like rocket league, well the game is "old" just like stardew valley, the diference is that those games have a lot of fans so it's good business for Nintendo and the developers and that's why Nintendo is promoting those games.

"When it was pointed out that the Wii was pretty successful, Lanning countered by stating that very few third party publishers actually made any money off the console:"

And not many publishers made any money off of the original HD twins. That's why we saw so many devs and publishers fold, so many CoD and GoW clones, and the market became all about either being indy or being top-tier AAA to survive with little in between.

If I was a publisher in the PSWii60 gen, I'd much rather have a game flop on a Nintendo console than PS360. A flopped game would suck for me no matter what, but at least I would have spent far less money making it happen.

burninmylight said:

Say whatever you want about Nintendo and the Switch, but saying "Personally, I think it killed Iwata," is as tasteless as can be. What a piece of shit. I now regret buying Oddworld on Wii U.

That said, this interview took place back in April, so it's not like he had four months of data to go from, and he obviously didn't have a dev kit back then either.

True, but the interview was just recently made available to non subs, so this is news to me. Some of his thoughts seem to have been cemented even if he did have more data on Switch, specifically about promoting his games, etc.

Ljink96 said:
JRPGfan said:

I agree but getting angry at Nintendo for not promoting your game or marketing your game is kinda shitty. And he didn't lose money on his venture on Wii U...

I think he has a good point though.

Nintendo basically make it impossible to do "day to date" with the others, because of how many more hoops you gotta jump through to get it running on the switch (portable mode, normal mode, weaker hardware, hardware workarounds ect).

Then when you finally do launch your game, nintendo just gives you the cold shoulder.

He points to a "nitnendo first" mentality of the company, where they see themselves as mainly software makers, and others (3rd party/indy) almost as competition.

They wont go out of their way to help stuff sell on their system (even if they get a 30% cut).

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

"He claimed that unless you release "day and date" with other versions of a multiformat game, Nintendo refuses to promote your title in any way."

^ like thats not a good stance to take if you want 3rd party support, or them to succede on your console.

Well I'm not really sure if that's the case at least now, Yooka Laylee, Stardew Vally, Fate Extella, Disgaea 5 and Rocket League come to mind as being heavily promoted by Nintendo at least on their youtube channel and through the Switch News section even though they didn't release the same date as the other versions, although they are much bigger games than a small indie game that released ages ago on everything else.

Although to be honest if this deters 3rd partys from making us wait longer for games and prevent them from selling sell than on other platforms because they came so much later, I don't mind it from a consumer perspective. Either release the game day and date, or don't get as much push for your game by us, seems simple enough, then it's up the game maker themselves to put effort to advertise and promote the game, because they syrely didn't put enough effort in ensure we get the game day and date as everyone else. Really not releasing the game day and date is one of things that is more likely not gonna make the game succeed on your console.

burninmylight said:

He didnt mean literally.

He meant it hurt him, that he wasnt able to turn the company's mentality around.

Its a figuour of speech.

But yeah he could have said that differntly.

''Personally, I think it killed Iwata''. No, don't mention Iwata.

twintail said:
so what did he say that was tasteless?

He talked about Nintendo having a bad mentality towards 3rd party.

That they basically saw themselves as Nintendo 1st, as a software company that viewed indy/3rd party almost as competitors.

He said "it killed Iwata" that he couldnt change the company's mentality.

Basically :

Iwata wanted to bring 3rd party support on nintendo back to how it used to be, and he took it as a failour he couldnt do so.

But useing words like "it killed him" when he actually died working to death in a hospital bed... kinda in bad taste.

JRPGfan said:
Ljink96 said:

I agree but getting angry at Nintendo for not promoting your game or marketing your game is kinda shitty. And he didn't lose money on his venture on Wii U...

I think he has a good point though.

Nintendo basically make it impossible to do "day to date" with the others, because of how many more hoops you gotta jump through to get it running on the switch (portable mode, normal mode, weaker hardware, hardware workarounds ect).

Then when you finally do launch your game, nintendo just gives you the cold shoulder.

He points to a "nitnendo first" mentality of the company, where they see themselves as mainly software makers, and others (3rd party/indy) almost as competition.

They wont go out of their way to help stuff sell on their system (even if they get a 30% cut).

Well, if certain developers don't want to put in the effort, they shouldn't support the system. I mean, why whine about the situation when you could just not support it and stay on PS4/Xbox/PC? Switch is going to favor those who understand the intention of the Switch and are willing to develop software that is specifically designed for Switch. And of course, he didn't know how successful the Switch would continue to be back in April so I'd guess he's eating those words now...

With Wii U, Nintendo's job was to promote their software and software that was prone to improving Wii U sales. As, Wii U was in a terrible position at the time. Why would they try to promote a game like Oddworld over Mutant Mudds or even Mario Tennis Ultra Smash? It just doesn't make sense. I'd understand if there was a deal that outlined and set in stone the idea that Nintendo would promote their game but there wasn't and he should have been prepared for that. 

It's not Nintendo's job to help developers sell software on their system...that's the developer's job. lol That's where marketing comes in. If it doesn't sell even with marketing your game just isn't what the audience wants, he's been in the business for a while he should know that. It's not like Oddworld was some huge franchise to begin with, XD