By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Will Likely Be Backwards Compatible With PS4 Pro, Will Possibly Launch In 2019 – Michael Pachter

I doubt consoles will ever run 240fps or even 120fps unless it's a vr title where the graphics is towned down significantly. For most titles, it will end up being how it's always been, 24-30fps while some titles targeting 60fps.

The reason is that console manufactures invest on presentation rather than performance and that is how consoles are generally balanced. When the new generation starts and the cpu improvement comes, the cpu itself won't be very powerful compared to what you would find even on a decent pc. The GPU on the other hand will be plenty powerful (but obviously not like a xx70) unless the console is priced super high.

So the result will be the devs taking advantage of the extra cpu horsepower but still targeting their games at 30fps, just with better ai, people, etc.

The next generation of consoles will be interesting for sure and I will be curious to see where amd lands. As of right now, assuming the benchmarks reflect RX vega and Volta is on the horizon and Nvidia keeps their trend of having their next gen xx70 cards being on par with the previous gen xx80Ti/Titan cards. AMD might end up being nearly a generation behind Nvidia when it comes to GPU performance.

If that's the case, then it will also be reflected on consoles since consoles will use Amd Gpus and the GPUs inside consoles are their strongest component. Still, that's just theorizing and ps5 is plenty of ways away. So no need to really worry about it now.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

2021 with no PS4 BC confirmed.

4 ≈ One

Ka-pi96 said:
Why not just say PS4? That would even be more accurate...

But hey, it's Pachter, and we all know how much he values accuracy

Probably it means that it will be able to run PS4 games with PS4 Pro performances, resolutions, framerates and features, when the game supports them.
If Pachter, teh Inscrutable Almighty Analyst God, decided to tell us puny mortals the truth this time, but I doubt it, at least all that's supposedly promised won't be possible at an acceptable production cost in 2019 yet, more likely in 2020 it will be, if nothing goes wrong, also in components development.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Likely? I feel like this is all but confirmed. I'm pretty sure that was one of the main reason for Sony switching to x86.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

So.. 2020. No BC and significant step up from 8th gen. Good to know.

Azuren said:
caffeinade said:

Games should be art.
We wouldn't stop using the colour red in paintings because ~ 60% - 80% of people cannot see red.
We should always push the limits of the medium, that means maxing out the games on PC.

And art isn't about maxing out the graphics. It's about presenting something that evokes an emotion. If you can't have an emotion evoked because the graphics aren't good enough or because 30fps burns your eyes, then guess what? You're the guy who can't see red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjjRdrVAHCQ

This pretty much sums it up.
It is not just about graphics it is about game design.
Game consoles hold back, the design of games, if PC was the dominant platform games could be much more complex.
Every game released today are dull and lifeless, barely anything reacts to the user, they are cold, dead worlds.

Zelda actually surprised me quite a bit, the grass reacts to your actions, you exist in that world.
Even in Zelda:

•  AI
  • Wind
  • Grass
  • Geometry 
  • Fire spread
  • Physics
  • Animetion
  • Cloth physics (less on an issue in Zelda due to art style)
  • Textures
  • Pop in

All these things are restricted to what the WiiU could handle.

30FPS is bareable when the game is really good (Zelda, Xenoblade, ect), but 20 FPS as seen in Just Cause 3, Zelda on WiiU and Assassin's Creed whatever is not, especially when it is due to the system's limitations.

If you have more games being developed for PC you can have games that were not resticted to whatever the consoles could handle, Game Design wise.
It does not matter (much) how many TFLOPS you have if all you are doing with the power is pushing more pixels.

I want a game that makes full use of my Ryzen 1700 and Forces me to run a multi GPU config, whilst making me play at 30FPS.
Bring my PC to its knees.