By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of the Wild first DLC is very underwhelming :(

Tagged games:

AMIRITE?

Finally some honesty. 70 47.95%

Shut up! 76 52.05%

Total:146

We all know the 2nd DLC pack is the big one - I am wondering if there will be new territory or just a new story on the existing map?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
That the first DLC pack would be underwhelming was clear when it got announced in February. But maybe it wasn't clear to you.

Rol, the personal insults! Maybe you could word that in such a way so as to not insult him personally...

Screw it, my job of being his bodyguard is hopeless.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Shiken said:
Ljink96 said:

This still says next to nothing about what the DLC pack has to offer.  Just that we will learn more about Zelda and the Champions will be involved.  Everything else they say is speculation.

However with this I do have one concern.  It looks like this could be after the defeat of Calamity Ganon, which would still be cool as it could pave the way for new side content alongside of the main story (hopefully along the lines of Majora's Mask style quests).  The spirits of the Champions could be used in the present or more memories would become available...which brings me to my actual concern...

If they are just adding a new questline with new memories to tell the tale, I will be very disappointed.  I like how the memories were used for the main game but using them in this way would be a cheap way to make a quick buck.

I have faith that the story DLC will be deeper than that however and will not fail to deliver.  I just don't see Nintendo going that route.

...which is why I said the way it seems to be going... so far from what little we know, which is all we have...it's underwhelming. If there's no extra land to explore or new dungeons, etc. you're just paying for an arrangement not necessarily DLC which is waht I'm afraid of. The way it seems is it will take place in the same areas but just after the ending which is hardly exciting for me.

Despite the justification of "it's a big game so they can do what they want," there are clearly some bad DLC practices here. If fans don't make some noise over it now, it will only get worse in the future.

- Simple difficulty modes should either come with the game or be free additions. The Hero's Path DLC, to me, is worse, and should have been a free addition without doubt. The functionality is already in the game. It's clear that these were added to the DLC package in order to make more people buy it.

- A Season Pass is fine. Bundling DLC without an option to buy separately is not. That just plain sucks. I REALLY hope that people don't let this one go without protest. It could have a real negative effect on future DLC.

Really, the bundling thing is the big issue here. It's a bad precedent and should not be considered acceptable. Letting bad DLC practices continue is as much on the consumer as it is on the publisher. As someone who picks and chooses DLC (I don't care anything about Arena DLC, for example) I absolutely don't want bundling to become an industry standard.

If it makes it easier, pretend that EA is the one doing this.

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:
Despite the justification of "it's a big game so they can do what they want," there are clearly some bad DLC practices here. If fans don't make some noise over it now, it will only get worse in the future.

- Simple difficulty modes should either come with the game or be free additions. The Hero's Path DLC, to me, is worse, and should have been a free addition without doubt. The functionality is already in the game. It's clear that these were added to the DLC package in order to make more people buy it.

- A Season Pass is fine. Bundling DLC without an option to buy separately is not. That just plain sucks. I REALLY hope that people don't let this one go without protest. It could have a real negative effect on future DLC.

Really, the bundling thing is the big issue here. It's a bad precedent and should not be considered acceptable. Letting bad DLC practices continue is as much on the consumer as it is on the publisher. As someone who picks and chooses DLC (I don't care anything about Arena DLC, for example) I absolutely don't want bundling to become an industry standard.

If it makes it easier, pretend that EA is the one doing this.

The reasonable course of action is to wait until DLC pack 2 is out and then judge if the whole package is worth $20.

The reasonsable course of action would be to allow people to buy separate parts separarely.  The "whole package" being worth $20 doesn't mean much if you don't want the whole package.

Is the whole package of a fries/drink/sandwich combo worth $5?  Maybe, but I sure as hell don't want to buy the whole thing if all I want is the sandwich.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

The reasonsable course of action would be to allow people to buy separate parts separarely.  The "whole package" being worth $20 doesn't mean much if you don't want the whole package.

Is the whole package of a fries/drink/sandwich combo worth $5?  Maybe, but I sure as hell don't want to buy the whole thing if all I want is the sandwich.

This sort of argument becomes moot if DLC pack 2 alone is considered to be worth $20.

That makes literally no sense.  Why would DLC pack 2 being worth $20 justify having to pay $20 if all you wanted was DLC pack 1?

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

That makes literally no sense.  Why would DLC pack 2 being worth $20 justify having to pay $20 if all you wanted was DLC pack 1?

Who exactly would want only DLC pack 1?

In a world where thousands of people bought Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, all things are not only possible, they're probable.  

I think its ok. After all its only 1/2 of the overall DLC you paid $20 for.

I like the new side quests though simple as they are. I like the sword trial and think it has good replay-ability.

The Korok mask is awesome and if you enjoy the wide variation of outfits, this is a plus too.

I see nothing overall wrong with this DLC. On its own its definitely not worth $20, but it was never intended to be either.

People happily paid $7 for a set of Persona 5 costumes.

The market works itself out IMO.

Mar1217 said:

And I remember Star Wars Battlefront DLC having even less content than the 1st Pack of BOTW for the cheap price of 50$.

Yeah, battlefront is an interesting case. 

I personally did not like the game. I felt it was empty, dull, and uninspired. I rented it from Redbox for a day and decided that what was there definitely wasn't worth it.

There is a certain market though, that ate it up. DLC and all. I'm going to stereotype a bit here, but I have many friends who I'd charactarize as, "bros", who think the world of that game. I know a guy who has had a PS4 since launch and has just three games. Battlefront. Black Ops III, and Madden 17. And he absolutely loves it.

So I was a bit surprised that EA felt they needed to do a big course correction for Battlefront II, given how well the first game did with it's core audience.