By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox, Gamecube, or Dreamcast?

The best one is...

Xbox 77 13.03%

Gamecube 350 59.22%

Dreamcast 164 27.75%

Total:591

Dreamcast was the perfect console imho opinion. Best mix of quality first party and third party.

Around the Network

Oh that's a hard one, I had both a Dreamcast and a Xbox hmmm gonna give the nod to Xbox I think.

MKDD, smash bros, metroid prime, zelda WW, rogue squadron, RE, luigis mansion, sonic adventure 2 and heroes, lego star wars, zelda TP, star fox adventures.
It was the console i enjoyed the most, although I played KH, god of war, gta and winning eleven on ps2.

GCN. Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime, Baten Kaitos... yep!

Mike321 said:
Xbox is the best box.

I credit it for bringing the worst of PC games at the time to the console market.  Cookie cutter shooters, incomplete games and patching, hypercompetitive preteens calling each other f4gG0tz, reliance on third party servers gated by fees instead of peer to peer, ads, consoles trying to do more than just gaming, the emphasis on 'mature' games, etc.

I enjoyed the distinct separation between PC games where I played my first person games and consoles where I played my predominantly  Japanese rooted RPGs and story heavy games that had been the staple of Nintendo and Sony since the rebirth of console gaming by Nintendo.  Xbox basically ruined that and pushed hard to make consoles into PCs bloated with shallow Western AAA action games and focus on graphics being the most important and in the process diluted what was previously a unique identity for consoles.

Glad to see GameCube winning in the absence of PS2.  Dreamcast had a life too short to matter even though it had potential. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Code Veronica, and Shenmue... Need more than 4 games... Pains me because Dreamcast's 8 MB VRAM vs PS2's 4MB gave DC games a distinctly more colorful texture environment vs the PS2's often 8 bit reduced resolution muddy look.  Would have made for some vibrant RPG worlds as Skies of Arcadia showed. RIP.

Around the Network

Gamecube hands down, remember playing couch co-op at my friends relatives house on friday nights, Double Dash, Melee and Super MonkeyBall, some of my best treasured moments gaming, the laughs, the banter, once i played Gamecube i realised i made a big mistake getting a PS2, the most overrated console ever, made me remember why i love gaming at a time i was getting bored of gaming no thanks to the PS2.

Dreamcast > Xbox > Gamecube

Twitter @CyberMalistix

All three are amazing consoles and loved them all. They all had their own exclusive games that were brilliant.

Games like Shenmue and Shenmue II were amazing on Dreamcast, Zelda windwaker was superb on Gamecube and Xbox had a huge number of great games including half life 2, Halo, Forza, Project Gotham racing and the best versions of third party games. As a fps fan it was miles ahead of anything else and I still have an original xbox under my tv today with a 2TB hdd filled with classic xbox games and a huge number of emulators for both consoles and arcade machines. It still gets regular use. I also love the duke xbox controller more so than the other 2 consoles.

So I'll give it to the xbox which was my favourite for that generation, for the next generation it would be the ps3 I think and the current generation ps4 but for me the original xbox was something special. It's also where I play most of my Nintendo games...cough.

GameCube. Man I love that console, Wind Waker, Double Dash, Wave Race Blue Storm and Mario Sunshine were played to death. Third party support wasn't bad either. I can honestly say I was oblivious to how badly it was getting trounced as I was just having too much fun.

GCN.