By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think SNESSuper Famicom Mini is a rip off. Why I suggest not buying.

Pemalite said:

Had it pre-ordered the moment it became available to pre-order. Along with the Atari 2600 Flashback 8 Gold, Sega Mega Drive Flashback Classic HD and soon I will pre-order the Xbox One X.

Christmas is going to be fun.

Would be good if the op would participate in his own thread instead of posting and running. :P

I'm not sure I wanted one but the pre-order window came and went before I even knew it was there!

Around the Network
psychicscubadiver said:
potato_hamster said:

What evidence is that, exactly? Your anecdote? Your random assertion that any random on the street would agree with you? Besides, none of that even matters because you're using a very generous interpretation of one type of "identity theft" that may involve copying something and equating the concept of identity theft in its entirety to copyright infringement. They're two different sections of the law for a reason. They're not the same.

Shrug. They are the  same to me and the 15 people in my work place that I polled. You're kinda dealing only on your own opinion.

Well I guess that settles it then, huh? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Ohh shit. Looks like logic and reason bombed in and fucked with your day. Again.

potato_hamster said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Shrug. They are the  same to me and the 15 people in my work place that I polled. You're kinda dealing only on your own opinion.

Ohh shit. Looks like logic and reason bombed in and fucked with your day. Again.

Posting links to articles and swearing isn't really an argument.

I have put forward a point, gotten consencious from a semi-random selection of people which confirms what most of the people in this thread have commented on, and used some clear and easy-to-follow logic. You may personally disagree on the semantics and prefer to split hairs, but does not make what I've said less valid.

psychicscubadiver said:
potato_hamster said:

I have put forward a point, gotten consencious from a semi-random selection of people which confirms what most of the people in this thread have commented on, and used some clear and easy-to-follow logic. You may personally disagree on the semantics and prefer to split hairs, but does not make what I've said less valid.

Im not going to butt in in the terms of wether this is actual theft or actually copyright infrigement(couldnt care less, really), but I just wanted to point out one thing:Having the concenssus of the general public about the meaning of a word or what the word should mean does not make it true.Quite the contrary actually.Just because most people believe something is right does not make it right.Water is water, but if the society comes out and say "no, water is wine", it dosent make water into wine.It just says the the masses are ignorant.A similar example can be made about religion.Its not because many people believe in a god that makes necessarialy that god real.

Same for the definition of a word.A word means what a word means.Its what it was made in the first place to mean, what is written on the dictionary and no, it does not depand of the semantics of the situation.It is what it is on the dictionary, or whoever its definiton is written.The meaning of the word could change, but for that to happen, it needed to officially change, as in the meaning on the source material needed to change first.But thats another discussion altogether.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

psychicscubadiver said:
potato_hamster said:

It actually doesn't matter at all if literally everyone in this thread agrees with you. That doesn't make you any more right. If everyone in this thread agreed with you that the sun revolves around the earth, you'd still be wrong. Of course, this information is all contained within that link I posted that you so thoughtfully ignored, as if that was relevant to pointing out the holes in the point you were making. Imagine that.

P.S. I just randomly polled 1000 of my coworkers and they all agreed that copyright infringement isn't stealing. Isn't it amazing how personal, unfalsifiable anecdotes aren't actually worth anything if you just use your brain?

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
psychicscubadiver said:

It actually doesn't matter at all if literally everyone in this thread agrees with you. That doesn't make you any more right. If everyone in this thread agreed with you that the sun revolves around the earth, you'd still be wrong. Of course, this information is all contained within that link I posted that you so thoughtfully ignored, as if that was relevant to pointing out the holes in the point you were making. Imagine that.

P.S. I just randomly polled 1000 of my coworkers and they all agreed that copyright infringement isn't stealing. Isn't it amazing how personal, unfalsifiable anecdotes aren't actually worth anything if you just use your brain

I checked the link, yet it did not really address the questionof whether emulation was theft or not. You're committing the logical fallacy of an appeal to authority, implying that a well established institution backs your side without any proof of such.

PS: I don't believe you. Not about the co-workers thing that seems utterly legit. I just don't believe that you are using your brain.

psychicscubadiver said:
potato_hamster said:

P.S. I just randomly polled 1000 of my coworkers and they all agreed that copyright infringement isn't stealing. Isn't it amazing how personal, unfalsifiable anecdotes aren't actually worth anything if you just use your brain

I checked the link, yet it did not really address the questionof whether emulation was theft or not. You're committing the logical fallacy of an appeal to authority, implying that a well established institution backs your side without any proof of such.

PS: I don't believe you. Not about the co-workers thing that seems utterly legit. I just don't believe that you are using your brain.

Now we're equating emulation to theft? Huh. That's a new one.

I'm not appealing to authority. I'm not asking you to take my word on it. The court has ruled that copyright infringement is not stealing. I have linked to that twice above, and I don't care to do so again. You're just ignoring the evidence I provided because you don't like it.

Raspberry Pi 3 Retro Gaming Bundle: £65
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-3-retro-gaming-bundle
Super Nintendo Classic Mini: £69
https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-classic-mini-hardware/nintendo-classic-mini-super-nintendo-entertainment-system/11495711.html

So, where's that ripoff of yours?

It is a fairly good value, the alternative would be a New 2/3DS/WiiU with the virtual console and that comes much pricier.

psychicscubadiver said:

I checked the link, yet it did not really address the questionof whether emulation was theft or not.

Emulation isn't theft. There is no direct copying or reproduction of the hardwork someone else/company has done.

Did you know AMD used to reverse engineer intel chips? Think about that for a moment.

The ROMS are theft, the BIOS is theft depending on region as it's usually a clone/dump of a cart/disk.
Some Emulators will emulate the BIOS though which bypasses the BIOS issue.

In country's like Australia you are legally entitled to make copies of your games.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--