By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kaname Fujioka talks Monster Hunter World: no westernization/casualization

Tagged games:

Kerotan said:
Hiku said:

"It's not a mainline game."
"It's been westernized."
"I didn't want it anyway."

Perfect.  

@scofield did you really just list eating while walking as dumbing down?  Not being able to walk while eating was the real dumbing down.  He said in an interview that it's a natural feature to add seeing as you can't easily escape the map like you used to which makes it harder. 

no, not dumbing it down, but making it easier for the casual audience and the map without loading times was really positive, it was the feature i liked the most, it makes more difficult to run away from the boss like in previous titles.

i only wish they don't try to make it a easy game to appeal the masses, cause the difficulty is one of the main appealing things on mh series.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network

This will be my first Monter Hunter game. Was planning on giving XX a chance before World was revealed, but World looks so much better... that I have to try it. It's not only graphics that will get better, I think it will control better too due to being a console game. Looking forward to it.

By the way... some posts in this thread are ridiculous. Some guys complaining about Nintendo fans acting stupid, while at the same time acting the same way. lol

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Kyuu said:

how is Monster Hunter World any more westernized than Zelda BotW?

Just going to post Eiji Eonuma's response...BotW somewhat is inspired by Western Developers. 

'In research for Breath of the Wild, Aonuma played games like Far Cry, The Witcher, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, though he said Grand Theft Auto is a little too violent for him. “While playing those games, I do find some ideas, but it’s not that it connects directly to Zelda to where I would take something and use it in Zelda, but it’s more of something I keep in the back of my head while developing the game,” Aonuma says.'

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/20/eiji-aonuma-s-favorite-non-nintendo-game-of-2016.aspx

Westernized is more the 'open world' aspect that had a resurgence with Western developers (Assassin Creed, Far Cry, Witcher, Watch Dogs, Skyrim, etc.). Not the type of difficulty imo. 

Just like Zelda strayed away from the traditional Zelda game by having an open world explorable environment, Monster Hunter World strayed away from having that singular hub seen in past MH games and goes with the open world.

Personally, never been interested in the series much, tried it on PSP and 3DS and stopped playing after a couple sessions. Feels a little too MMO-like (crafting, questing) without the MMO experience(large group raiding, pvp, etc.) , as a former longtime MMO player. Probably won't get it on PS4 at least for a long while, still haven't finished Persona 5 and Horizon yet...

F.Scofield said:
Kerotan said:

Perfect.  

@scofield did you really just list eating while walking as dumbing down?  Not being able to walk while eating was the real dumbing down.  He said in an interview that it's a natural feature to add seeing as you can't easily escape the map like you used to which makes it harder. 

no, not dumbing it down, but making it easier for the casual audience and the map without loading times was really positive, it was the feature i liked the most, it makes more difficult to run away from the boss like in previous titles.

i only wish they don't try to make it a easy game to appeal the masses, cause the difficulty is one of the main appealing things on mh series.

They've already said it's harder because you can't leave areas as easy as past titles.  That doesn't sound like making it more casual. That sounds like a necessary trade off. 

What does Westernized even mean? I don't know how to determine an exact formula or "Western scale". I guess they could make more changes to streamline it, but the fact of the matter is that if everything were the same, there'd be no point in making a new game.

Around the Network

It is open world and that has always been my one complaint. I do not want an open worl Monster Hunter title. I will probably still give the game a shot but I simply despise the idea of open world Monster Hunter.

I am also not a fan of drop-in mechanics. And any time they make QoL changes to make the game easier (like eating while running), I am not going to take easily to those changes.

Like I said, I will still probably get the title but as a fan of the games since the PSP days, these changes (and we do not know all the changes) are not pleasing me.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

haven't played a monster hunter since on psp..skipped the wii and 3ds games..this looks really good to me however and i definitely would like to play it.was a little disappointed in no switch version just cuz i take my switch every where with me (plus ps4 is litterally the worst console this could release on for me as my ip is banned every other month on psn for stupid reasons with stupid annoying fixes) But I will likely still get it ...plus i think my son would love it just for the dinosaur esque monsters

F.Scofield said:
vivster said:
There was never any evidence of that to begin with. I never heard one of those salty Nintendo purists elaborate on what exactly was westernized.

"Faster eating animations + eating while walking" is one of the reasons, that alone makes the game much easier in boss encounters, one of the nice things about single player is exactly finding a time window to use potions during the boss fight. Or bosses will allow for significantly less down time, making the faster animations necessary.

"The hookshot" that makes your moviments faster making it easier to run and evade from the bosses. Or it makes the fights faster, much like the difference between Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

"lowered IA" there's times where the rathalos acts dumb, he just keeps flying around doing nothing, not even low rank rathalos in the psp version does that. Where did you even get this? He specifically states enhancing the AI as one of the reasons for the move to current gen.

There are only two positive points in this new version: the loading times being taken out and the world being more detailed. And the faster gameplay, better AI, increased storage for content (both on disc and via DLC)...

And i don't get why you think the criticism comes from nintendo purists only, i play mh since the 2 on psp and i didn't like some of the changes that makes the game easier and pretty much anyone can play this game, it's gonna be on pc and by the looks of the game any pc from 2008 can run it. Because it generally does come from Nintendo purists, though it would seem there's also a minority for those upset that it isn't on handheld.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames