By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best new IP this generation?

?

Bloodborne 220 16.58%

Nioh 23 1.73%

Until Dawn 20 1.51%

Splatoon 407 30.67%

Horizon Zero Dawn 476 35.87%

The Wonderful 101 24 1.81%

Arms 23 1.73%

Watch Dogs 10 0.75%

Sunset Overdrive 35 2.64%

Other 89 6.71%

Total:1,327

I'd say Overwatch, Bloodborne or Splatoon. But I'll stay with Overwatch. I had tons of fun with that game.

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
Take a masterpiece game, copy almost eveything, but change the characters, enemies, plot, and the name of the game. But the mechanics are the same. Well, new IP, still a masterpiece. But I think that it is not the best new IP.

As a new IP, I consider not only the best game among them, the main thing is the inovation, new mechanics, ideas, something that refresh the gaming, something that gives the factor:"wow, Ive never played something like that before''. The best game among the new IPs is not the best new IP, IMO.
IDK for how many of the new IPs this gen that applies because I didnt play many of them.

The only issue with this is that it would mean that NO game would EVER fit that bill going forward because it would borrow something from another game that already did it just different....

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

BraLoD said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

You really are stuck on Splatoon has outsold Horizon.....even though as of April 30th Horizon was atmore than 3.4 million sold with 915,00 of that being digital so a little over 25%. So take into account sales for all of May and June it should pass Splatoon heck very soon and has only been out about 4 months now. Yes the Userbase difference is crazy and Splatoon sold amazing for a new IP but Horizon as a new IP is also selling amazing and at a faster pace at that. So that one you just have to let go of.....the attach rate no argument there. I just think both are 2 great new IPs and are both are doing very well.

He is stuck is downplaying Sony, not only here.

I did not know that I just saw him saying some incorrect things regarding sales between the two here and was like wow he is really stuck on that.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Horizon is the game of the generation so far for me.

I'm gonna throw in Rocket League, it's not a new IP but it may as well be. Played it every day going on almost 2 years, no game throughout my 26-odd years of gaming has ever caught me like that.

Don't ruin the moment

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PC/PS4), Dead Cells (PC)

LordyPlays on YouTube

Off the top of my head (as well as that list.) Horizon Zero Dawn easily. I'm not a huge fan of big open world games but I was absolutely enamored with the world Guerrilla games crafted.

-VIDEOGAME NINJA APPROVED-

Around the Network

Ori and the Blind Forest (Indie Masterpiece)

Miyamotoo said:
NawaiNey said:

If you wanna go the awards route we can...

Splatton won 2 GOTY awards for 2015.Other New IPs of 2015 like Bloodborne won 31, Life is Strange won 12, Undertale won 8, Her Story won 3.

Splatoon barely made it to top 5 new IPs of the year it was released in by the Awards metric. So saying it's anywhere close to being the best New IP of the generation can be nothing more than a joke.

Source: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2015/09/2015-game-of-year.html

Splatoon won two awards of "The Game Awards 2015", not just two awards from all awards out there, Splatoon won two awards of "The Game Awards 2015" Bloodborne didn't won not one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_Awards_2015

Fact that Splatoon won so many big awards proves that isn't average game like you saying, point that is totally something new, great, very fun game and fact that has great sales and that is so popular proves that is one of best new IPs this gen, even this thread proves that. And now on much bigger instal base it will be even more popular game.

You try to downplay Splatoon succes because it's on Wii U, but you dont understand that Splatoon succes is even bigger because become so popular and great new IP on dead console.

I'm talking about overall GOTY awards, not specific categories. Also "The Game Awards" are no more legit than any other publication. Point is very few people thought Splatoon was the best game of the year compared to those other titles.

AlfredoTurkey said:
LethalP said:
This forum has a weird Nintendo bias, most places wouldn't even dream of putting Splatoon in the same ballpark as Bloodborne or Nioh. Nintendo haven't had a truly great new IP since Xenoblade.

Splatoon has outsold Horizon and blew it's attach rate away. If anything, there's a Sony bias.

Horizon sold 3.4 million units in two months. Splatoon sold 4.7 million in two years that includes holiday sales. With the rate at which Horizon is selling it would probably outsell Splatoon this year. As for attach rate, NawaiNey answer accurately sums up why Splatoon has a better attach rate.

AlfredoTurkey said:
NawaiNey said:

Horizon Zero Dawn has been out for only a few months, It had sold 3.4 million in two months. Splatoon sold 1.5 million in it's first two months.

Also no one cares about attach ratio, it's more than evened out by the fact that Nintendo consoles have very few games to choose from in comparison to Playstation consoles. Look at the over all attach ratio of these consoles PS4 has an attach ratio of like 8 while Wii U had an attach ratio of less than 6.5, the sales on PS4 are jusy spread over way more games, while on nintendo it's usually the same few titles selling great while everything else gets ignored (usually cause everything else is beyond terrible). According to VGC there were only 21 games that sold a million or more units on Wii U, while there are already 98 on PS4 and will likely be like 300 million seller by the time this gen is over.

GTA SA had a massive attach rate between launch an a year after on a console that sold more than PS4. If a game is great enough and there is enough demand, the attach rate will bear that out. This argument that there are just a bunch of legendary games causing buyer fragmentation is ridiculous. 

GTA SA had no competition on PS2. GTA 3 had revolutionised open world games and already popularised the series. Starting a new genre by itself was one of the reasons why GTA could garner so much sales. GTA SA was a sequel in the only major open world game series on PS2. There were no other good alternatives to GTA for open world gamers on PS2.

Horizon has competition like AC IV, Unity, Syndicate, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA V, Batman Arkham City, Infamous Second Son and many more quality games in established franchises of the same genre all wanting the same customers money. Yes there are 60 million PS4 owners, but they also have like 15 great open world games to choose from, and they are unlikely to buy more than a few.

Also they may not even be in it for open world games as PS4 has plenty to play from other genres, while Splatoon is probably one of the reasons Wii U has as many owners as it does, not a lot, but a huge portion of them have it to play Splatoon which is another reason its attach rate is so high.

lordsynbios said:
Horizon is the game of the generation so far for me.

I'm gonna throw in Rocket League, it's not a new IP but it may as well be. Played it every day going on almost 2 years, no game throughout my 26-odd years of gaming has ever caught me like that.

Rocket League is a new IP.

GOWTLOZ said:

It's an existing IP with a new name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersonic_Acrobatic_Rocket-Powered_Battle-Cars 

Don't ruin the moment

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PC/PS4), Dead Cells (PC)

LordyPlays on YouTube

lordsynbios said:
GOWTLOZ said:

It's an existing IP with a new name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersonic_Acrobatic_Rocket-Powered_Battle-Cars 

That's a different IP. This is a spiritual successor, not a sequel.

THink of it this way. Dark Souls is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls but both are different IP's and the same goes for Bloodborne.