By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can we have Physical to Digital Next Generation?

I think I see what you mean, but if you basically want a digital version at the same price as the physical one, then a digital key that can be price matched at the store would be sufficient?

Edit: Also, for people trying to resell their games will have a more difficult time since buyers won't know if your version is a 'normal' game or a 'locked' one :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

You're absolutely right. With game file-size reaching ridicule highs, especially with patches and DLCs, and hard-drive not significantly increasing, I'm starting to buy physical again. Also always owning and being able to play/emulate the game instantly vs. waiting sometimes up to 36h to download a game, then having to log, update, patch, install DRM and sometimes not being able to launch it or even play with backward compatibility (my PS3 and Wii U digital libraries have become useless).

But also despite having a huge Steam collection, I DON'T remotely trust digital anymore, you always get fucked and prices are way too expensive for a zero production-cost format. And it's going to get worth as we approach game streaming servers.

Platina said:

I think I see what you mean, but if you basically want a digital version at the same price as the physical one, then a digital key that can be price matched at the store would be sufficient?

Edit: Also, for people trying to resell their games will have a more difficult time since buyers won't know if your version is a 'normal' game or a 'locked' one :/

There's no way of getting cheaper digital games on console in this country. You might be able to get lucky on a key selling site like G2A but they rarely have console keys and also major ethical issues.

Also that's down to the retailers to make sure their used games workon other console. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Don't think it's possible.

Funny though, I had convinced myself that starting with the Switch onward I would stick to digital. Couldn't do it, I need my boxes!

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

If that were to happen, games would completely stop selling digitally. Which give higher profit to publishers, so they would drop the digital price to equal the retail copies, which would then make that feature useless.

So yeah, sounds good to me

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

Buying physical is useless, learned it the hard way

Every game on XBO needs to installed first before playing. Not fun seeing games like Madden explode to 50gb

BraLoD said:
monocle_layton said:

Every game on XBO needs to installed first before playing. Not fun seeing games like Madden explode to 50gb

On PS4 too, but it takes about a minute.
What I dislike is not the short wait, but the fact my physical games consume my HDD space, which means the discs themselves are pretty useless.

This has always rubbed me the wrong way. It's using the hard drive space anyway. The disc doesn't even spin in the console. 

BraLoD said:
I dunno how they can charge more for a digital copy than a physical copy.

Yeah it's bull.

Horizon a game that only came out a couple of months ago costs £34 on amazon  yet costs 47% more on PSN

£50 is quite cheap as well, considering to preorder a lot of games costs £55 for Destiny And Shadow of War

BraLoD said:
monocle_layton said:

What I dislike is not the short wait, but the fact my physical games consume my HDD space, which means the discs themselves are pretty useless.

It takes a bit of time on Xbox, but I'm patient

I just find it annoying honestly. My space gets filled up way too quickly. That's why I always appreciate Nintendo's devices. 128gb on the Switch will take you a long way

monocle_layton said:
BraLoD said:

It takes a bit of time on Xbox, but I'm patient

I just find it annoying honestly. My space gets filled up way too quickly. That's why I always appreciate Nintendo's devices. 128gb on the Switch will take you a long way

I thought they'd improved install times, how long does the average game take?