By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The legend of zelda Switch schedule

Observing the recent history, zelda has been anual, counting new games, remasters, spin offs on 3DS and wii U. Considering switch will have unifyed development, can we expect yearly zelda games on switch?

Something like this:

2017: Botw + DLC

2018: SSHD

2019: New top view Zelda

2020: Hyrule warriors 2 (based on BOTW)

2021: GC zelda HD collection(WWHD+TPHD+ four swords adventures for multiplayer with joycons)

2022: New 3D openworld zelda

Thoughts?

If happens, would you like it and would support every game?

Around the Network

Hmmm... I'm not sure whether we will get a Zelda remake next year. Personally I think we get next year a break, then the SSHD and then the Top view Zelda. I don't see them doing another Hyrule warriors.

I think taking the last five years (while ignoring all history beforehand), and then extrapolating that it will be respective of the next five years for Zelda is a bit presumptuous.

I only buy new, main console Zelda's. No remakes, no remasters... I do not double dip. So, for me? I won't be playing a new Zelda for 4 years lol.

if you try to predict Nintendo and zelda, you're going to fail.....miserably. That being said, we will get a new 3D zelda in 2020.

Around the Network

With 3DS support being phased out, I can see a roughly annual release schedule becoming a thing.

If I had to guess, the core Zelda team will get to work on the next main entry around the time they finish releasing DLC, latter this year. If they go the Majora and Twilight Princess route of reusing the BotW engine and assets, we will likely see that entry in late 2020, maybe 2021.

In the meantime, Nintendo's going to take another stab at the 2D multiplayer formula. With the Joycons, it's to tempting to avoid. And Triforce Heroes is already almost two years old, so that's likely in development. Or if Nintendo isn't quite ready to revisit that formula yet, then we're getting a 2D Zelda sooner rather than later. Handheld 2D Zelda doesn't sell much worse than Console 3D Zelda, especially considering the resources involved. Either way, that could be out as early as Holiday 2018.

If Fire Emblem Warriors works out, which it probably will, I can see Hyrule Warriors 2 being up next, maybe in time for Holiday 2019. It'll benefit from not needing a handheld port.

Tantalus seems to have found a home porting and updating games to Nintendo consoles, first with Twilight Princess and now with Sonic Mania and Rime. They could easily be working to update Skyward Sword for the Switch. It did sell roughly 4 million on the Wii after all. That said, it'd be hard to map some of that game's motions to handheld play. Maybe they'd port the HD version of Wind Waker or Twilight Princess instead, possibly at less than full retail price?

While we're being possibly unrealistic, I want indieszero to make a Zelda Rhythm game in the approximate style of Theatrhythm. They've worked with Nintendo before and Zelda is one of the only series that deserves a music spinoff.

Love and tolerate.

MTZehvor said:
I think taking the last five years (while ignoring all history beforehand), and then extrapolating that it will be respective of the next five years for Zelda is a bit presumptuous.

Well, In GBA/GC for example, we had more than 1 game per year in average(ww, tp, four swords adventures, zelda collection, minish cap, rereleases in GBA). In wii era, less than 1 per year... So, I think it is not a new trend. In the last 20 years we have an average very close to 1 game per year, counting the rereleases. Sometimes a entire year without zelda, sometimes more than 1 per year. 

And the recent trend of colaborations (like HW, mario+rabbits, TMS) tends to continue, so, i would not be surprised if we see a zelda game not made by nintendo, that would count up the average zelda game per year value (here i expect HW).