By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Differences between PS4 Pro and XbOX reveal.

Midgen hardware refreshes are

Awesome, I gladly pay aga... 24 14.91%

Ok for those who want it 63 39.13%

Bad for putting for strai... 8 4.97%

Bad for creating different tiers of gamers 11 6.83%

Bad (potentially) for online gaming 1 0.62%

Pointless, waste of time and effort 34 21.12%

Good to keep game engine advancements going 17 10.56%

Good for PC games, more 4K focus 3 1.86%

Total:161
SuperBott said:
SvennoJ said:

Perhaps it's just my imagination, yet the reception of the fanbases seems completely different?

When the pro was revealed, a lot of people weren't keen on mid gen refreshes. Splitting the userbase, more work for game developers, most won't put a lot of effort in pro versions, paying twice to play the same games, it's just the same game in higher res. Now the XbOX is announced, none of those concerns anymore. Heck some people are even asking for Scorpio exclusives, screw the existing userbase! All talk atm seems to be how truly true 4k the X can render its highest quality pixels.

Microsoft are marketing geniuses directing all the talk towards a premium machine with a premium experience. Reality is a lot of 3rd party devs don't spend much time on pro enhancements and new games still come out with hardly any boosts.

The difference is ofcourse that the upgrade from XBox One to XbOX is much greater than from ps4 to pro, leapfrogging both ps4 consoles. So do all concerns about how well the XbOX will be utilized and what it means for game development etc fade away because it beats the ps4?

maybe because the PS4 pro is not so powerful?

When I was still into PC gaming and upgraded my gpu with a twice as powerful one, I could turn detail up a lot more than the average pro enhanced game. Ofcourse I still had the same monitor so the difference was, same resolution better detail vs same detail better resolution on pro in general. They could do a lot for ps4 pro owners with 1080p tvs, yet they mainly choose the way of least effort, up the res, downsample to 1080p, just a very expensive way of adding AA.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
JRPGfan said:
With the PS4 theres like

2.6m PS4pro's
57.8m PS4/PS4slim's.
= total of 60.4m units

Devs arnt putting much effort into patch's for the Pro version.
I think devs are going to put even less effort into the xbox one x versions.

What makes you think this? Theres about 100 games that support the Pro and 83 that will support the X at launch and it was just announced and the X doesnt take that much time to port games over. AC Origins a big open world game took a week to port and its running at High PC settings.

A week is a lot during crunch time, plus it all needs to be tested again. I expect devs to be very conservative with enhanced details, the more changes, the more testing etc.

There are like what? around 60M PS4 owners? Lets say around 50M at the time of the PS4pro reveal..... there will be a lot of people saying they dont see the need for a console that could mean they would get inferior versions of games for the console they already have at home. And the trolls would have fanned those fears to hell and back.

On the Xbox side..... well, with how things were going they would have taken anything... so of course its a good idea. I mean, anything is better than nothing right?

Intrinsic said:
There are like what? around 60M PS4 owners? Lets say around 50M at the time of the PS4pro reveal..... there will be a lot of people saying they dont see the need for a console that could mean they would get inferior versions of games for the console they already have at home. And the trolls would have fanned those fears to hell and back.

On the Xbox side..... well, with how things were going they would have taken anything... so of course its a good idea. I mean, anything is better than nothing right?

Perhaps the hardcore XBox crowd was already conditioned into buying console refreshes due to the RRod :) Last gen there were plenty people that kept buying every new version (and selling the old one), hdmi out, pro, premium, elite, super elite, S, to reduce the chances of getting rrod. Plus special themed editions. They must have been restless with years of no upgrades!

Meanwhile in the playstation camp, a revision meant fewer features. No more BC, no more card reader, no more other OS, a frigging top dics loader. The full phat ps3 always stayed the most desirable (with a HDD upgrade) I'm still sad it died, while I wasn't that upset when my 360 died since I got a free HDMI port out of it! (After foolishly spending about $250 on high quality component cables running to my projector through the walls and ceiling for the 360 and its hd-dvd player add-on)

Microsoft fans are just hyped to have a console stronger than ps4.

Around the Network

Some of the fanboys hyped up as the fourth coming of Christ. With that 500 price point pro will sell more.

The problem with Pro is its lack of identity. What it is? A 4k console? A VR PS4 console? Its confusing to the mass market because it doesnt render true 4k most times and well VR hasnt exactly lifted off the ground to boost Pros stance on the market.
X1X is simplier. Its marketed as a true 4k machine with 4k features. Nothing about the X isnt 4k related even the Blu-Ray drive is 4k (and aside from 3rd party devs not using the full protential) X1X identity is very clear and is an attractive buy even for none gamers who want an all in one 4k system for there premium theatre rooms etc.

Like myself, its going to go well plugged into my 4k/HDR TV next to my $2k PC. Premium products are for premium buyers. I want to buy a Pro but it cant sell itself. Seems more like a X1S upgrade only more dramatic.

-Nobody cares about XBox that much like it is for PS, there is a lot more none PS fans to complain about the new upgrade

-Sony was first

-The XBox One was always the weaker console espacially now since the PS4 Pro is, so an upgrade seems neccessary in their eyes

And yes a lot  of people actually are more dissapointed about the Scorpio, its too expensive and didnt show why you should upgrade as a 1080p user.

For me the PS4 Pro reveail was actually a lot better and more honest, Sony never claimed the PS4 Pro would do every game in native 4K unlike MS did in this E3. They were pretty upfront and showed us the checkerboard technology.

And most importantly they also emphasized on devolopers giving different modes like in Tomb Raider, like a higher framerate or more deteail for 1080p users, MS did not.

Azzanation said:

The problem with Pro is its lack of identity. What it is? A 4k console? A VR PS4 console? Its confusing to the mass market because it doesnt render true 4k most times and well VR hasnt exactly lifted off the ground to boost Pros stance on the market.
X1X is simplier. Its marketed as a true 4k machine with 4k features. Nothing about the X isnt 4k related even the Blu-Ray drive is 4k (and aside from 3rd party devs not using the full protential) X1X identity is very clear and is an attractive buy even for none gamers who want an all in one 4k system for there premium theatre rooms etc.

Like myself, its going to go well plugged into my 4k/HDR TV next to my $2k PC. Premium products are for premium buyers. I want to buy a Pro but it cant sell itself. Seems more like a X1S upgrade only more dramatic.

The XBox One X neither can do native 4K in all games, it uses checkerboard rendering in Assassins Creed or Anthem. Whats the point really if it cant do native 4K in AAA games? The PS4 Pro is the best PlayStation thats the identiy, along being earlier and 100€ cheaper.

And i cant understand how you refuse to buy a PS4 as a PC gamer, a console that has actual real exclusive which you cant play on your PC, instead shelling out 500€ for a system that is playing all the same games. Do you gonna rebuy all the games on XBox One too by the way?

I seriously dont understand your logic here, and also  the boasting about your expensive stuff.

If it helps neither one excited me.The only hardware to excite me in a reveal since the Wii is the Switch. It showed something new and interesting. Not retreaded water with more specs like every console does.