By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Xbox One X console commands the most social buzz at E3

I'm starting to wonder if almost all new consoles that have enough marketing throw behind them will generate buzz and a strong start.

I think we're seeing basically a coalescing of the "core" factions of each fan base, and if you can excite enough of them, it works out to several million people and that means you're going to sell out, but it's mainly become a marketing/hype thing.

MS is doing a good job of hammering home the "True 4K, best console evar, best multiplats" angle of the XBox One X and while that might not resonate on a fairly pro-Sony/Nintendo board like this (lets be honest), for "XBox Nation" and "Dudebros" crowd this may well be the "new hotness". Guess we'll see in November how they do.

The industry has maybe changed a bit from like 20 years ago where people were very fixated on the overall pros/cons of a launch titles and wanting to wait for a bigger library, now you have for each console brand a pretty loyal group of hardcore. What you have to do is excite them. 

We'll have a good sense when pre-orders for XBox One X go live. 

I think Sony made the mistake with PS4 Pro of not really hyping it.

Around the Network
UltimateGamer1982 said:
potato_hamster said:

Well I mean, Here I am playing Wipeout at 4K/60 fps, on my PS4 pro, so I guess that's a true 4K console too by your own metrics! And look at that price tag - $100 cheaper than the X1X. What a great deal, huh?

That 4k blu ray player being the $100 difference im assuming too. If it didn't have that, it would probably be $399 like the Pro. So for Sony fans, they get a 4k console at a $100 less. 

But even then it's largely irrelevant as most ppl just go for the cheapest option. As in the S model, a PS4 slim or Switch. X and Pro will only sell a fraction of their cheaper cousins, making this whole topic redundant. 

You mean the same 4K blu ray player that's in the Xbox One S for $249? Are you trying to say that the Xbox One S would "probably be $149" if it wasn't for the 4K blu-ray drive by the same logic? That 4K blu-ray drive doesn't cost nearly as much as you think.

Wait, just mentions? That means nothing if a lot the mentions range from meh to no thanks.

potato_hamster said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

That 4k blu ray player being the $100 difference im assuming too. If it didn't have that, it would probably be $399 like the Pro. So for Sony fans, they get a 4k console at a $100 less. 

But even then it's largely irrelevant as most ppl just go for the cheapest option. As in the S model, a PS4 slim or Switch. X and Pro will only sell a fraction of their cheaper cousins, making this whole topic redundant. 

You mean the same 4K blu ray player that's in the Xbox One S for $249? Are you trying to say that the Xbox One S would "probably be $149" if it wasn't for the 4K blu-ray drive by the same logic? That 4K blu-ray drive doesn't cost nearly as much as you think.

Really? How come standalone 4K players are between $300-$500 by themselves? Is Microsoft using the crappiest 4k player they could find? Or are they simply taking a loss on it? 

Why would Sony be so low? It doesn't make sense to me, it seems like they should be much higher.

Around the Network
UltimateGamer1982 said:
potato_hamster said:

Really? How come standalone 4K players are between $300-$500 by themselves? Is Microsoft using the crappiest 4k player they could find? Or are they simply taking a loss on it? 

You mean like this Samsung one for $175?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A9V6OI6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A13ACIRM091OJE&psc=1

Besides, there's always a big mark-up on new-to-market electronics like this, and doesn't necessarily represent the cost of the hardware itself. Also, wiit's important to consider that with these standalone boxes, they will need additional processing capabiliities that your standard player wouldn't have which would represent higher production costs vs a standard blu-ray drive outside of the cost of the drive itself. The cost over a regular blu-ray drive vs  a 4K blu-ray drive is minimal. MS isn't taking the crappiest player, it's just that they only need the drive portion of it. The rest of the hardware needed to process that extra data is already in the Xbox One S.

A lot of the social media buzz seemed to be a lot of people pissed about the price. So not sure all publicity is good publicity in this respect.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Vasto said:

Wow,

I thought Spider-Man would get more hype.

spiderman is a lame hero who crys to much!  IMO! It would be NICE TO HAVE 1 MOVIE without him crying to a girl.

Who would wanna play that and be that?