By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: relationship with Nintendo is “incredibly strong”

zero129 said:
thismeintiel said:
Boy, Spencer is just frantically throwing anything against a wall to see if it will stick these past few days. Unfortunately for him, it seems to only be working on the same small group that tries to defend his words.

I dont know. I think the other small group thats trying to twist everything he says is working much harder to try convince people everything is not ok at xbox and phil is a lier.

Im loving the last few positive MS threads from E3. They all have the exact same small sony group coming into them and they repeat the exact same words in every one of them threads. All any user has to do is look in any MS thread the last few days and you will see the same users in every one of them calling Phil a lier etc. Its so funny watching the Sony group enter self defence mode.

Well, people don't have to work very hard to convince others that everything is not ok at Xbox.  MS is the one convincing them of that.  Less money is being put into that division, for advertising and exclusives.  All of their games are going to PC.  And the price of the XBX just proves it further.  They aren't worried about mending the Xbox brand, at least where HW is concerned.  No, they just want to make some profit off of the HW while the last few are buying it. 

Spencer comes off as someone who is just trying desperately to keep his job.  And these past few days he has been slinging anything and everything at the wall.  "We're the good guys.  We don't keep AAA stuff off of other systems anymore (because we can't afford to.)  Now, buy our timed exclusives, that we paid to keep off of other systems."  "Now, I'm going to be dickish.  The Pro isn't even close to us, because our GPU is 40% more powerful.  Oh, but the OG XBO's lack of power meant nothing and it still competed with the 40% more powerful PS4.  And our S competes with the Pro, even though it is 300% more powerful than it." "Oh wait, we're the good guys, again, Nintendo fans.  When you're thinking of buying a 2nd console, make sure you get the XBO."

Notice how no one from the Big 2 talks as much as he does.  They don't have to, since they are both secure in their positions.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
vivster said:

The Sony fanboys are indeed awful awful people but let me tell you from the perspective of someone who thinks that MS is the most consumer friendly company in the console business right now. Phil is a lot of times just spewing corporate garbage. Maybe not because he wants to but because it's his job. And lies should be called out immediately no matter how lovingly that individual may seem. That's not bashing or hating. That's just saying "Put up or shut up!"

Well id normally agree with you on this. But we have Cross play between Nintendo and MS for minecraft and rocket league, MS allowed Banjo games on the DS, Custom exclusive Mario themed skins/Worlds for minecraft on the Nintendo platform etc. Now imo id call that a strong relationship compared to what they have with Sony. But i guess we would have to see what the future holds or if it stays strong. But for now id say the is enough prof to show MS has a pretty good relationship with Nintendo compared to Sony.

It's all about nuance. If he had sad "pretty good" a lot less people would be wary of that statement, but he had to go all out with extremes. That's just corporate speech then and it's lame.

So technically, calling it "strong" is a lie. Also it seems to be a pretty one sided relationship.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Banjo in Smash Bros for Switch confirmed. :)

Soundwave said:

Halo 1/2/3/4 on Switch in exchange for Metroid Prime 1/2/3 4K on XBox One X

Fire Emblem Warriors port in exchange
for Gears Of War 4 port for Switch

GoldenEye 007 with upgraded graphics for both XBox and Switch and online cross play for both platforms.

New Banjo-Kazooie developed by Rare for both Switch and XBox w/Banjo-Kazooie Amiibo

Mario DLC Pack for Minecraft available for XBox + iOS + Windows + Android in fall 2018.

10 classic Nintendo VC titles in exchange for Rare Replay and Killer Instinct on Switch.

Nintendo get rights to Rare-era N64 games for use on Nintendo 64 Mini (Holiday 2018). 

Good for you Microsoft? Just sign here and here ...

I don't think I would be problem here, no way that Nintendo would agree for something like that.

zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

We'll microsoft would be better off doing ui and features as a third party for nintnedo and Sony than making games. They were never really good at it.

Really?. Even if you dont like any MS games that doesnt mean they are no good at making them. MS has been making and publishing good games on PC even before the original xbox. And they have made/published many great games on the xbox platform.

Microsoft are good at simulators. I played their flight simulator games since I was a kid. It's probably why forza is so good. They've been doing that stuff forever, but I like the ips Microsoft buys and dedicated teams to more than what they internally make because they lack creative prowess. Any bit of news that you hear about them it's always based now profit or turning people off because of their stringent milking nature like Ubisoft or ea. Microsoft has money so they can survive the tides in this industry as long as they have the core ips under their belt which are halo, forza, gears and mine craft and three of those ip were essentially purchased into by buying to the company or the ip itself. They don't have a real great developmental track record. I mean if you look at the original Xbox what made it great was that the majority of the stand out titles were PC ports, from tecmo or sega (think about it). I've never not owned an Xbox platform, but I know what games are buzzing on Xbox and ms rarely is it ever first party. Even Phil spencer admitted on gamespot a day ago that they still need to work on their first party. That's something neither Nintendo or Sony have had to admit to anyone because their commitment to first party has strong and noted for generations.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Halo 1/2/3/4 on Switch in exchange for Metroid Prime 1/2/3 4K on XBox One X

Fire Emblem Warriors port in exchange
for Gears Of War 4 port for Switch

GoldenEye 007 with upgraded graphics for both XBox and Switch and online cross play for both platforms.

New Banjo-Kazooie developed by Rare for both Switch and XBox w/Banjo-Kazooie Amiibo

Mario DLC Pack for Minecraft available for XBox + iOS + Windows + Android in fall 2018.

10 classic Nintendo VC titles in exchange for Rare Replay and Killer Instinct on Switch.

Nintendo get rights to Rare-era N64 games for use on Nintendo 64 Mini (Holiday 2018). 

Good for you Microsoft? Just sign here and here ...

I don't think I would be problem here, no way that Nintendo would agree for something like that.

I don't think it would be so bad. Maybe make some new Metroid and Fire Emblem fans ... guess what system they have to buy if they want to play the new Metroid Prime or Fire Emblem?

Halo is a bigger franchise than Metroid ever has been, that'd be a net win for Nintendo and give them a high end shooter franchise. 

No mainline Mario stuff for MS or any EAD games, just Nintendo's table scraps. 

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

I don't think it would be so bad. Maybe make some new Metroid and Fire Emblem fans ... guess what system they have to buy if they want to play the new Metroid Prime or Fire Emblem?

Halo is a bigger franchise than Metroid ever has been, that'd be a net win for Nintendo and give them a high end shooter franchise. 

Its not point if its bad or not, point is that Nintendo wouldn't done that, you want see any Nintendo IPs on Sony or MS platforms probably never.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Its not point if its bad or not, point is that Nintendo wouldn't done that, you want see Nintendo IPs on Sony or MS platforms probably never.

If its ports of older games I think Nintendo should consider it. 

It's not going to hurt Switch sales at all and they get a lot more in return than they're giving and might even give them a few new Metroid or Fire Emblem fans.

Yeah in the past things weren't done a certain way, but 4-5 years ago if asked here, the idea of (real) Nintendo games on iOS/Android probably would have been a similar "no way". 

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Its not point if its bad or not, point is that Nintendo wouldn't done that, you want see Nintendo IPs on Sony or MS platforms probably never.

If its ports of older games I think Nintendo should consider it. It's not going to hurt Switch sales at all and they get a lot more in return than they're giving and might even give them a few new Metroid or Fire Emblem fans.

Yeah in the past things weren't done a certain way, but 4-5 years ago if asked here, the idea of (real) Nintendo games on iOS/Android probably would have been a similar "no way". 

What you think and what Nintendo is thinking or what they will do, are two different things.

First, smartphone gaming become bigger than console gaming and Nintendo couldn't ignore it any more, second, we dont have real Nintendo games on iOS/Android, those are smartphone games not full Nintendo games, and third, Nintendo was very clear about why they releasing mobile games, because they want in that way to make bridge between mobile and full console games and to use it like market tool for Nintendo consoles and their full games. If you release Metroid Prime on on Xbox thats one reason less for some people to buy Nintendo console and than people would be start expecting also another Nintendo IPs on Xbox.

In any case it won't happen, it's not realistic scenario at all.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Its not point if its bad or not, point is that Nintendo wouldn't done that, you want see any Nintendo IPs on Sony or MS platforms probably never.

Isn't that kinda sad though? I mean MS is nice enough to port their games to Nintendo devices but Nintendo wouldn't even consider porting theirs. Sounds like a pretty abusive relationship to me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.