By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is this the best time to be a Nintendo fan in a long time?

killeryoshis said:
I thought the Wii era was pretty good. The NES and SNES era might be better. I think the Switch is trending above the Wii right now. I still think we have a good while before we can say this is the best era for now.

I agree, too early to tell. But yeah they are on the right track. Have'nt been that excited with Nintendo since Wii days at latest. 

Now they also just need to announce a new Donkey Kong game. and a remaster with Square/Enix on Chrono Trigger.. (one can dream right) :)

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Mbolibombo said:

N64 era is the most over glorified era in Nintendos existance. System had a low number of great games over a long span, wouldnt surprise me one bit if they Switch has it beat in terms of great games at the end of 2017.

N64 was a total lackluster. Especially 3 months in to it's existance.

NES+SNES era though, Switch still got leaps to hit that stride those systems had.

Nintendo had a game of the year candidate for every year in the 90s, I think we forget that now, but 

1990 - Super Mario 3, 1991 - Super Mario World, 1992 - Zelda: LttP or Street Fighter II (exclusive), 1993 - Star Fox, 1994 - Donkey Kong Country, 1995 - Yoshi's Island or DKC2, 1996 - Super Mario 64, 1997 - GoldenEye, 1998 - Zelda: OoT, '99 is a little weaker, but it's also the start of the Pokemon craze in the West. 

We're talking like industry top tier games, every year Nintendo was either on top or near to it and they were breaking ground all the time in the 90s. EAD and Rare were the two best console devs on the planet. 

Today ... it's rather quaint by comparison. Breath of the Wild (2017) and Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) are maybe the two games they've had recently that would seriously contend for GOTY and those are 7 long years apart. 

While I agree with your first two paragraphs I have to respectfully dispute the last.

I think you can make a case that Nintendo published a game-of-the-year candidate in 2012, 2013, and 2014, also. Xenoblade Chronicles in 2012, in my mind, is the best game of the generation. A Link Between Worlds in 2013 and Mario Kart 8 in 2014 are pretty great too.

I guess the point I'm making is that it's always been a good time to be a Nintendo fan. I can't think of a publisher that's been as consistently great. I will concede to the OP that the Switch era could be one of the very best eras though. A unified library will go a long way.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

We'll see I guess. I posted the rumor here and got chewed out for it, lol, now Nintendo fans want to believe. 

Well after MHW announcement that rumour seems much more believable. :)

The rumor makes Capcom's management look like a bunch of incompetent idiots because they wanted the western audience and Sony's money then realized at the last second that 'oh, crap; we're pissing on our bread and butter audience in Japan that love portables and local multiplay gatherings!'. 

Yes, we have the best Nintendo console in years and it's been out for a couple months.

I dunno, I thoroughly enjoyed the Wii, DS, and 3DS. The Wii U had its issues, but I still think it had some gems in there that I enjoyed. The Switch is a return to form in many ways, but I don't think Nintendo's legacy was burning in the last few years or anything dramatic like that.

Around the Network

I think so... possibly since 2006.

Switch!!!

It's certainly a good time to be a metroid fan.

It will be the best time when Bayonetta 3 gets announced. Metroid Prime 4 was a big blow though.

wombat123 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well after MHW announcement that rumour seems much more believable. :)

The rumor makes Capcom's management look like a bunch of incompetent idiots because they wanted the western audience and Sony's money then realized at the last second that 'oh, crap; we're pissing on our bread and butter audience in Japan that love portables and local multiplay gatherings!'. 

It's an interesting saga to speculate over and given Capcom in recent years it's not farfetched tbh MHW has been in development for 4 years and it was claimed the deal was done in a similar manner as SFV so it could have been done back then with SFV as it's claimed Nintendo were never even brought in to make a counter bid. It would tie in with the rumours claims and MHW's development as SFV is announced in 2014 with MHW still under silence as the rumour said Sony wanted then Generations comes out in 2015 in Japan and does well ( it did better in Japan than MH4U) to the point the higher ups in Capcom realize they miscalculated in thinking the portable scene was on the wane as the sales in Japan increased possibly causing the rumoured strife as now if MHW didn't have the impact they hoped for it would mean a massive drop in sales and revenue from before (remember the MH scene was at one point the only thing raking in money for them) with things heating up when SFV underperformed after it launched and now the MHW project is already under way with the deal signed and too expensive to drop.

This would explain MHXX being given a Switch version (well the leak says it was rushed out) in preparation for the return of the Portable series as the leak claims as it's much like back with the Wii when the was Tri and Portable 3rd (Freedom 3) so they can maintain the portable scene as it would be too big for them to lose, Switch's performance probably added more drama. Remember that Sony in all respect pulled a good move for their platform's sake but even if MH doesn't surface on Switch after XX Nintendo still have massive hitters for Japan anyway in the likes of Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi and such with Capcom probably knowing that's a massive pie to not have a piece of.