By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If it's on a Microsoft console AND the PC, it's an exclusive.

DonFerrari said:

So Havok being the engine of some PS exclusives does that make the game non-exclusive?

Nah. Havok isn't actually a game engine or a game. It's a Physics engine.

So if a game on Playstation is using Havok and that game isn't on any other platform, it's still Playstation exclusive.

Bandorr said:

Because every post talking about exclusives end in him saying "They will all end up on PC whether Sony likes it or not". Basically constantly bringing up that eventually ever game will get emulated on the PC.

I wouldn't say every post. That's clasping at straws to undermine my position.

However. I'm not wrong though. Emulation does mean all your console games are belong to us.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

And that's the problem. You're listening to a statement that cares not about the legality of licensing or exclusivity. Lol this means the PC enthusiast does not care about the rights of the ip publisher.

Emulation is actually legal. It's not piracy. Of all people, I expected you to know this.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

So Havok being the engine of some PS exclusives does that make the game non-exclusive?

Nah. Havok isn't actually a game engine or a game. It's a Physics engine.

So if a game on Playstation is using Havok and that game isn't on any other platform, it's still Playstation exclusive.

Bandorr said:

Because every post talking about exclusives end in him saying "They will all end up on PC whether Sony likes it or not". Basically constantly bringing up that eventually ever game will get emulated on the PC.

I wouldn't say every post. That's clasping at straws to undermine my position.

However. I'm not wrong though. Emulation does mean all your console games are belong to us.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

And that's the problem. You're listening to a statement that cares not about the legality of licensing or exclusivity. Lol this means the PC enthusiast does not care about the rights of the ip publisher.

Emulation is actually legal. It's not piracy. Of all people, I expected you to know this.

So why would you use the Havok card on a exclusive discussion?

Nope, emulation isn't legal in all regions of the globe.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
starcraft said:

No one said that.

Anything that promotes the use of the Windows ecosystem, including playing games on Steam via Windows, ultimately promotes income for Microsoft.

Put it this way, buying a game on Steam brings a bigger benefit to MS than Sony or Nintendo

Yeah, that sure helps it become an exclusive.

I didn't say that, and I think you know that.

The simple fact is that any given game available only on Microsoft systems, is of financial benefit only to Microsoft (out of the three console makers).

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

DonFerrari said:

I was using it as an example of how Microsoft still profits from games sold on Steam rather than it's own store.

DonFerrari said:

I am not aware of any countries where emulation itself is illegal. As it is sometimes used in professional environments, if you know of any laws specific to a country I would be keen to check them out though.
For instance Gog.com will run with DOSbox which is a DOS emulator to emulate older windows games and is perfectly legal.

Often it's the pirated procurement of the software that is actually illegal.

Gamers cant grasp the Concept that if its on Windows 10 and XB1 its exclusive. I mean they make and choose where there games go. MS make money either way even if its released on Steam.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, that sure helps it become an exclusive.

I didn't say that, and I think you know that.

The simple fact is that any given game available only on Microsoft systems, is of financial benefit only to Microsoft (out of the three console makers).

Still that is at best tangent to the thread itself. And as said before even games that were made only to be run on windows can be played without MS getting a dime. And we wouldn't say a game emulated or pirated is helping the platform holder.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I was using it as an example of how Microsoft still profits from games sold on Steam rather than it's own store.

DonFerrari said:

I am not aware of any countries where emulation itself is illegal. As it is sometimes used in professional environments, if you know of any laws specific to a country I would be keen to check them out though.
For instance Gog.com will run with DOSbox which is a DOS emulator to emulate older windows games and is perfectly legal.

Often it's the pirated procurement of the software that is actually illegal.

But on that case MS is profitting of games released exclusively on PS system, so also very tangent to the point. Similar to say Sony still profits from games sold phisically on Xbox One because of the bluray royalties.

just as expected in Brazil it is considered illegal http://adrenaline.uol.com.br/2017/03/21/48881/usar-emulador-de-games-e-pirataria-entenda-as-leis-por-tras-desses-programas/

Like you don't buy a game you buy the right to play that code on the intended hardware the use of emulation is a breach of contract and thus far illegal.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I'll count it as exclusive because nobody wants to log on to Microsoft's shitty ass Windows 10 store. They might as well just give up and put all their games on Steam.  I'd actually consider purchasing a Forza game if it was on Steam.

DonFerrari said:

But on that case MS is profitting of games released exclusively on PS system, so also very tangent to the point. Similar to say Sony still profits from games sold phisically on Xbox One because of the bluray royalties.

That's entirely true as well.

DonFerrari said:

just as expected in Brazil it is considered illegal http://adrenaline.uol.com.br/2017/03/21/48881/usar-emulador-de-games-e-pirataria-entenda-as-leis-por-tras-desses-programas/

Not sure if it's the google translate, but the wording in that article is extremely ambiguous and doesn't point to any set legal precedents. - They also keep making the connection of emulators running games like Zelda: Breath of the Wild, when that isn't always the case.

DonFerrari said:

Like you don't buy a game you buy the right to play that code on the intended hardware the use of emulation is a breach of contract and thus far illegal.

Emulation doesn't mean you are running any game.
Emulation of a platform is the recreation of a platforms operating environment on a completely different platform so you can do things like Homebrew or Game Development. And yes, because of that you can also run games.

Now ROMS/ISO's can violate copyright law. Emulators in general don't as it's not reproducing or copying anything from the original manufacturer.
Of course there are some countries like Australia who allow you to create backup copy's of any media you own so not even that is illegal there.

Still I can't say I know enough about Brazil's legal system to definitively state whether Emulation is legal.

Where Emulators do tread the piracy grounds is when they might dump and pirate a consoles BIOS for instance. - It's okay to reverse engineer it through trial and error which some emulators have done.

Azzanation said:
Gamers cant grasp the Concept that if its on Windows 10 and XB1 its exclusive. I mean they make and choose where there games go. MS make money either way even if its released on Steam.

Third party publishers also choose where their games go and make money wherever they release it. That isn't relevant to the "exclusive" argument.

But it's a console exclusive, it's a pretty simple term we've had for ages. If it's only on your console, but it's on PC it's a "console exclusive". For what possible reason should we change that defintion now.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

That's entirely true as well.

DonFerrari said:

Not sure if it's the google translate, but the wording in that article is extremely ambiguous and doesn't point to any set legal precedents. - They also keep making the connection of emulators running games like Zelda: Breath of the Wild, when that isn't always the case.

DonFerrari said:

Emulation doesn't mean you are running any game.
Emulation of a platform is the recreation of a platforms operating environment on a completely different platform so you can do things like Homebrew or Game Development. And yes, because of that you can also run games.

Now ROMS/ISO's can violate copyright law. Emulators in general don't as it's not reproducing or copying anything from the original manufacturer.
Of course there are some countries like Australia who allow you to create backup copy's of any media you own so not even that is illegal there.

Still I can't say I know enough about Brazil's legal system to definitively state whether Emulation is legal.

Where Emulators do tread the piracy grounds is when they might dump and pirate a consoles BIOS for instance. - It's okay to reverse engineer it through trial and error which some emulators have done.

There is legal precedent, brazilian legal system is pretty convoluted. But in simple terms, if the game developer didn't explicitly said it's ok to emulate then it's illegal.

Even the HW or it's intended purpose is also possible to be copyrighted. But anyway, most EULAs will talk about you not being allowed to play the content or modify it in any form or copy it, etc... and when you break that contract it becomes illegal (not that many companies will go after it), Bleem is still illegal in Brazil as far as I know (but that used BIOS from PS1)