By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Monster Hunter World announced for PS4/Xbox One/PC

sc94597 said:
Azuren said:

Oh, okay. You just don't know anything about Monster Hunter. Cool.

What makes Monster Hunter good is the gameplay, armor combinations, and atmosphere. All of which are present in this trailer. And by the way:

Yeah I don't know anything about a series I put 1500 + hrs into. Right!

Somehow a game with QTE, regenerating health, no zones, minimal local multiplayer mode, and casualized combat is Monster Hunter though. But it is I who doesn't know what Monster Hunter is about? 

1. What do you think Monster Mounting was? The QTE's dirty cousin.

2. Regenerating health isn't the end of the world, calm your tits.

3. No zones is a good thing, dude. Nothing was more frustrating than waiting to load through multiple zones just because the Rathian keeps running back and forth from 9 to 4.

4. It's a console game, get over it.

5. Right, so heavy utilization of the environment and getting rid of those stupid Weapon Arts is casualized.

Most of the 300+ hrs one spends in a Monster Hunter game is efficiently killing monsters for their materials again and again until you can upgrade equipment, and kill new monsters. That is  monster hunter. 

Here you go again, assuming that none of that is going to be there in spite of evidence to the contrary. The entire video was focused on gathering materials before focusing on combat with a monster. Do you want the video to show the player kill it over and over and over again for material (something an actual MH fan would understand to be a thing anyway), or do you want to see new mechanics? Oh, right, you clearly want the trailer to be focused on the mundane rather than the exciting.

The atmosphere isn't present in the trailer at all. The monsters look like generic UE4 action figures, and have no charm at all. 

Seriously, I'm beginning to think you just don't want to like the game. You're coming up with excuse after excuse, and now you're resorting to picking at it looking like UE4 action figures? By that, do you mean it doesn't look like a jagged monstrosity straight out of a 240p nightmare? The atmosphere is there, just as it has been in Monster Hunter 1 all the way to Monster Hunter X. The only problem is you don't want to like it, which begs the question of why you're here complaining about it in the first place. If you want the same old shitty lobby-based multiplayer so you can get $1200 worth of Switches in the same room coupled with monster models straight from 2005, then you've still got MHXX.

Pokemon Sun/Moon (2) are true Pokemon games much more similar to saphire and ruby than they are to Colloseum. If anything, you posting that picture just tells us how it is only about the graphics for you. 

Yeah, except you didn't argue anything about gameplay. You posted pictures, one of which looks startlingly similar to what Sun/Moon looks like now. In fact, you very specifically only referred to their looks.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Interesting cat and mouse aspect compared to the standard action format of past titles.

TallSilhouette said:
Interesting cat and mouse aspect compared to the standard action format of past titles.

It seems more like the video wanted to display new mechanics rather than just kill whatever that big nasty is. Grappling hook and using the environment seems fun.

So it's a spin-off. If they are changing the core gameplay, I don't think it'll go down well with core monster hunter fans. Like making a version of Dark Souls aimed at casuals. Not sure if this going to sell very well compared to the main line monster hunter games especially since it's not on a handheld. Maybe since it's multiplatform that can help make up for it.

Green098 said:
So it's just a spin-off. If they are changing the core gameplay so much, I don't think it'll go down well with core monster hunter fans. Like making a version of Dark Souls aimed at casuals. Not sure if this going to sell very well compared to the main line monster hunter games especially since it's not on a handheld. Maybe since it's multiplatform that can help make up for it.

Mind telling me what you saw in the video that changed core gameplay?

Because it seems suspisciously still about hunting big monsters using whatever means available to you.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
sc94597 said:

Seriously, I'm beginning to think you just don't want to like the game. You're coming up with excuse after excuse, and now you're resorting to picking at it looking like UE4 action figures? By that, do you mean it doesn't look like a jagged monstrosity straight out of a 240p nightmare? The atmosphere is there, just as it has been in Monster Hunter 1 all the way to Monster Hunter X. The only problem is you don't want to like it, which begs the questin of why you're here complaining about it in the first place. If you want the same old shitty lobby-based multiplayer so you can get $1200 worth of Switches in the same room, then you've still got MHXX.

Pokemon Sun/Moon (2) are true Pokemon games much more similar to saphire and ruby than they are to Colloseum. If anything, you posting that picture just tells us how it is only about the graphics for you. 

Yeah, except you didn't argue anything about gameplay. You posted pictures, one of which looks startlingly similar to what Sun/Moon looks like now. In fact, you very specifically only referred to their looks.

1. A minor part of a new release which didn't affect the core gameplay. 

2. For a game that depends heavily on resource management and precise timing, yes it is. Regenerating health is a sign of simple combat.  

3. It is possible to retain zones without loading screens. The point about zones is to break up the combat into segments which are manageable, and also to keep the action going even when team members die and respawn. They are a part of the combat. 

4. Which means it has no future as a monster hunter game. The most successful monster hunter games have always supported local multiplayer. Why? Because Japan is a moving society with limited time.

Here you go again, assuming that none of that is going to be there in spite of evidence to the contrary. The entire video was focused on gathering materials before focusing on combat with a monster. Do you want the video to show the player kill it over and over and over again for material (something an actual MH fan would understand to be a thing anyway), or do you want to see new mechanics? Oh, right, you clearly want the trailer to be focused on the mundane rather than the exciting.

5.  I'm judging the game based on what i see and inferring how things will be done from that. I can't imagine how one could farm a monster in an open world game effectively in a multiplayer setting. Most of the time would be spent wandering and looking for the monster, and then tracking it would be tedious and dull if the intention is to farm resources. Open world games lend themselves to single-player exploration, not fast paced co-op fun. Hence the critique of this being a spinoff. 

Seriously, I'm beginning to think you just don't want to like the game. You're coming up with excuse after excuse, and now you're resorting to picking at it looking like UE4 action figures? By that, do you mean it doesn't look like a jagged monstrosity straight out of a 240p nightmare? The atmosphere is there, just as it has been in Monster Hunter 1 all the way to Monster Hunter X. The only problem is you don't want to like it, which begs the questin of why you're here complaining about it in the first place. If you want the same old shitty lobby-based multiplayer so you can get $1200 worth of Switches in the same room, then you've still got MHXX.

6. I stand by my statement. The game looks like something a bunch of interns would make with Unreal Engine 4. The shading on the monsters is not natural looking, the animations have not been improved over the PS2/3DS/PSP/Wii titles, which causes a sort of uncanny valley effect, etc. Furthermore, we see nothing of the mainstay Monster Hunter culture and parody. 

This is what Monster Hunter aesthetics look like, even in crappy 480p. The music fits the action and world-building well. It makes you want to immerse yourself in a believable world. The trailer of Monster Hunter World has very little of this. It instead screams generic open world action game with casual combat to me. 

7. My argument was precisely that the better looking game had poor gameplay, and wasn't the future of the series. It was implicity in my argument, if you know the gameplay of Colloseum, that even despite the experimentation and better graphics, it was a poor title with respect to main series pokemon games. 

If you want the same old shitty lobby-based multiplayer so you can get $1200 worth of Switches in the same room, then you've still got MHXX.

8. False dichotomy. Just because I don't like this generic spin-off doesn't mean I don't want the series to evolve. 

Azuren said:
Green098 said:
So it's just a spin-off. If they are changing the core gameplay so much, I don't think it'll go down well with core monster hunter fans. Like making a version of Dark Souls aimed at casuals. Not sure if this going to sell very well compared to the main line monster hunter games especially since it's not on a handheld. Maybe since it's multiplatform that can help make up for it.

Mind telling me what you saw in the video that changed core gameplay?

Because it seems suspisciously still about hunting big monsters using whatever means available to you.

Well I said "If", I'm just going off the rumours that talked about changes in gameplay mechainics, It could be completely the same I'm not denying that.

Not sure if someone already posted the info but this game is Only on PS4 in Japan.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/world/

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/monster-hunter-world-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Also no other platforms are shown on the Japanese trailer of MH World; its just PS platforms.

sc94597 said:
Azuren said:

1. A minor part of a new release which didn't affect the combat at all. 

Oh, so that mechanic that wasn't shown or mentioned will ruin this game because you heard about it.

2. For a game that depends heavily on resource management, yes it is. Regenerating health is a sign of a simpler design. 

Or maybe it's a sign that it will have more emphasis on, you know, longer stays out in the world instead of instancing back to the village to recuperate. But you just don't want to like it, so you're going to jump to negative conclusions.

3. It is possible to retain zones without loading screens. The point about zones is to break up the combat into segments which are manageable, and also to keep the action going even when team members die and respawn. They are a part of the combat. 

The point of zones was to allow the game to function on platforms like PS2, PSP, and 3DS. Doing away with those is a good thing, because people who hide from monsters by jumping zones are weak.

4. Which means it has no future as a monster hunter game. The most successful monster hunter games have always supported local multiplayer. Why? Because Japan is a moving society with limited time.

OH HOLY GEE, IS THIS GAME TRYING TO BE A WESTERN HIT TOO? I HAD NO FUCKING IDEA. WHAT DO YOU MEAN WESTERN GAMERS DON'T TYPICALLY DO LOCAL CO-OP ON HANDHELDS? WELL THAT'S SILLY, THE JAPANESE DO! Oh, by the way, I'm sure this has been mentioned to you already because, you know, I mentioned it... But this game is aiming for the West, too.

5.  I'm judging the game based on what i see and inferring how things will be done from that. I can't imagine how one could farm a monster in an open world game effectively in a multiplayer setting. Most of the time would be spent wandering and looking for the monster, and then tracking it would be tedious and dull if the intention is to farm resources. Open world games lend themselves to single-player exploration, not fast paced co-op fun. Hence the critique of this being a spinoff. 

You're jumping to negative conclusions  without even considering how they could possibly work in a positive light. Maybe there's a bunch of Rathalos out there. Did you even think to consider that, or did you just get upset that this isn't on Nintendo like everyone else who is upset with this game? And multiplayer works MUCH better when you can just pop in and out, a functionality Capcom has already confirmed. Popping in and out at will > Waiting for your friends to get back to the guild.

6. I stand by my statement. The game looks like something a bunch of interns would make with Unreal Engine 4. The shading on the monsters is not natural looking, the animations have not been improved over the PS2/3DS/PSP/Wii titles, which causes a sort of uncanny valley effect, etc. Furthermore, we see nothing of the mainstay Monster Hunter culture and parody. 

Oh, I see; you're upset that it doesn't look like a goddam PS2 game anymore.

This is what Monster Hunter aesthetics look like, even in crappy 480p. The music fits the actions and world-building well. The trailer of Monster Hunter Worlds has very little of this. 

I like how you pulled a video from one of the single most unpopular Monster Hunter titles thus far. Better yet, you pulled it just to stand by my assumption that you miss the shitty PS2 graphics.

7. My argument was precisely that the better looking game had poor gameplay, and wasn't the future of the series. It was implicity in my argument, if you know the gameplay of Colloseum, that even despite the experimentation and better graphics, it was a poor title with respect to main series pokemon games. 

Yeah, no. You were referring to looks and posted pictures. Don't backpedal just because a single picture tore that arguement apart.

First thing I thought when seeing the guy with the sword at the start of that trailer was is this monster hunter, nah maybe it's just some sort of RPG? Then I was like no the graphics are way to good this can’t be monster hunter, besides knowing Capcom if they were going to make a monster hunter for ps4 they’d probably just an enhanced of port Monster Hunter XX. Then I saw they guy use his knife and I was like yeah this has got to be monster hunter.

Anyway I’m so getting this and that enhanced dragons dogma port, gotta get my monster hunting on.