By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGC's stance on Thread Quality and Enforcement

JEMC said:
I completely agree with your third point, duplicated threads. There are times in this forum when the same piece of news gets 3 or even 4 threads, just because people don't want to lose 30 seconds to see if someone has already done it or, even worse, because they don't care. Users that do that should be warned and, if they keep making dupe threads, banned. Maybe that way they'll learn.

About thread updates and double posts, I understand what you mean, but sometimes having a second or third post reserved for future updates is better from a reading perspective than having all the info squeezed together in the first post.

This is absolutely fine for mega threads. But I've seen enough threads who have like one video and a paragraph and then in the second post 2 more videos and another paragraph. Why can't that be edited into the first post?

I've refrained from talking about general double posting but that is out of hand as well. I have never seen a forum where things like "tag" posts or simply multiple quotes across multiple posts were a thing. Even now that we have a multi quote button which works surpisingly well.

It's gotten so bad that even I am rampantly double posting wherever I can. First because I know nobody will punish me and second because I have to fill a post quota. This forum has broken me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Tagging, I'll read over it later.

Quickly glancing over it though I'll just say I very much agree with enforcing thread quality more heavily and I'll push more in that area.

I'm slightly OCD though so I've got to be careful not to go over the top

There really is no going over the top with enforcing quality. If you close a thread someone else will just create a better thread of the same topic if it was important enough.

The last problem VGC has is too few threads.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'll agree on that the standard on thread quality or level of effort put into a thread should be increased. I don't care for article threads where the op doesn't state any opinion on the article. They also don't post in their threads anymore.

I disagree about the threads that are loosely within the rules should be punished or taken down because it annoys people or they want to be rid of eye sores. So 4, 5 and 6 are blah. I don't like it when people get all authoritarian with things that are subjective.

vivster said:
JEMC said:
I completely agree with your third point, duplicated threads. There are times in this forum when the same piece of news gets 3 or even 4 threads, just because people don't want to lose 30 seconds to see if someone has already done it or, even worse, because they don't care. Users that do that should be warned and, if they keep making dupe threads, banned. Maybe that way they'll learn.

About thread updates and double posts, I understand what you mean, but sometimes having a second or third post reserved for future updates is better from a reading perspective than having all the info squeezed together in the first post.

This is absolutely fine for mega threads. But I've seen enough threads who have like one video and a paragraph and then in the second post 2 more videos and another paragraph. Why can't that be edited into the first post?

I've refrained from talking about general double posting but that is out of hand as well. I have never seen a forum where things like "tag" posts or simply multiple quotes across multiple posts were a thing. Even now that we have a multi quote button which works surpisingly well.

It's gotten so bad that even I am rampantly double posting wherever I can. First because I know nobody will punish me and second because I have to fill a post quota. This forum has broken me.

If the site wasn't as broken, some of those double posts you mention could be solved. And I'm looking at how difficult is for some users to post a video in the OP, so they put the article in the first post and the video in the second one.

I get what you mean, but the site has to provide the tools to help users in order to keep it clean and make it a better forum, and that hasn't been the case for quite some time.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Aeolus451 said:
I'll agree on that the standard on thread quality or level of effort put into a thread should be increased. I don't care for article threads where the op doesn't state any opinion on the article. They also don't post in their threads anymore.

I disagree about the threads that are loosely within the rules should be punished or taken down because it annoys people or they want to be rid of eye sores. So 4, 5 and 6 are blah. I don't like it when people get all authoritarian with things that are subjective.

Common sense is not negotionable. People today hide too much behind their opinions as if every opinion is as valid as any other. News flash, it is not. You can have an opinion but you should not demand your opnion to be equal to well founded arguments when it cannot be backed up by facts. That's why it's perfectly fine to remove badly thought out statements.

You are free to come back with a more founded opinion. Even our resident hardcore Christian learned from his past mistakes.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
vivster said:

If the site wasn't as broken, some of those double posts you mention could be solved. And I'm looking at how difficult is for some users to post a video in the OP, so they put the article in the first post and the video in the second one.

I get what you mean, but the site has to provide the tools to help users in order to keep it clean and make it a better forum, and that hasn't been the case for quite some time.

I never got this. If anything it's easier for someone to post a video in a thread as it already has all the rich text tools.

It's true that the site facilitates bad posting behavior which is not the mod's fault for once. The lack of a proper thread subscription kills mega threads and the insistence on the Hot Topics kills all new threads and encourages illegal bumping. Also the abysmal site performance leads to unwanted double posts. Then there are the useless VGC points which encourage spam in all forms.

I think it is time to move to a completely new platform rather than trying to fix the many shortcomings of this site.

vivster said:
Aeolus451 said:

Common sense is not negotionable. People today hide too much behind their opinions as if every opinion is as valid as any other. News flash, it is not. You can have an opinion but you should not demand your opnion to be equal to well founded arguments when it cannot be backed up by facts. That's why it's perfectly fine to remove badly thought out statements.

You are free to come back with a more founded opinion. Even our resident hardcore Christian learned from his past mistakes.

Common sense is subjective. "Well founded arguements" is subjective. 

On the flip side of that, you can't demand that a thread be locked because you disagree with the op or the posters in it when it doesn't break any rules. Because it is in your opinion that whatever was said isn't common sense. You're not talking about the obvious threads where everyone would agree on it. You're talking about the threads that are not breaking any rules but many people disagree with the op or other posters in the thread. 98% of the threads and posts are opinion unless they talk a bit about numbers that are based on guessimation. We're not a political forum where everyone tries to source everything to back it up their claims. So don't try playing the fact card.  

You're talking about broadening the net of mods so that they can moderate anyone or any thread in the murky area. Nope. What's bad or good is subjective in the murkiness. Do you really want mods going around closing threads and banning people for something that's not clearly defined in the rules but left entirely up to their opinion? With your own way of thinking, a mod could look at this thread and decide it's not well put enough together so he's just gonna close it. If you kept posting similar threads, he'd have grounds to ban you over it. 

I've seen this sort of thread posted every month or so about the same thing. Was double posting worth mentioning? No. People know that the site is buggy and shit happens.

If 4, 5 and 6 were a good idea to go after in the way you want, they would have already done it considering how many times some have brought it up.  They already have a system to deal with it but it takes them time to do. 

Aeolus451 said:
vivster said:

Common sense is subjective. "Well founded arguements" is subjective. 

On the flip side of that, you can't demand that a thread be locked because you disagree with the op or the posters in it when it doesn't break any rules. Because it is in your opinion that whatever was said isn't common sense. You're not talking about the obvious threads where everyone would agree on it. You're talking about the threads that are not breaking any rules but many people disagree with the op or other posters in the thread. 98% of the threads and posts are opinion unless they talk a bit about numbers that are based on guessimation. We're not a political forum where everyone tries to source everything to back it up their claims. So don't try playing the fact card.  

You're talking about broadening the net of mods so that they can moderate anyone or any thread in the murky area. Nope. What's bad or good is subjective in the murkiness. Do you really want mods going around closing threads and banning people for something that's not clearly defined in the rules but left entirely up to their opinion? With your own way of thinking, a mod could look at this thread and decide it's not well put enough together so he's just gonna close it. If you kept posting similar threads, he'd have grounds to ban you over it. 

I've seen this sort of thread posted every month or so about the same thing. Was double posting worth mentioning? No. People know that the site is buggy and shit happens.

If 4, 5 and 6 were a good idea to go after in the way you want, they would have already done it considering how many times some have brought it up.  They already have a system to deal with it but it takes them time to do. 

As for your first sentence, no it's not. Facts are still facts, even in Trump's America.

Nothing is murky about the things I said. Baits are obvious, nonsense is obvious and hit and run are obvious. It's made even easier because the majority of those threads are committed by the same people over and over again. I am talking exactly about the threads where the intent of the thread creator is very easily to see. It doesn't even matter if it's malicious intent or ignoirance. Ignorance does not shield from punishment.

I say that as someone who very well knows how to strategically avoid rules yet still breaking them. Mods are already going around and ban people out of their own whims. They banned me several times while I wasn't technically breaking any rules and they let people go who clearly violate the rules with certain threads.

Modding is in the end is a bit subjective but it also adheres to common sense, which despite your defiance is not subjective. Especially not when it's written down into rules. Rules are just rules and all it needs to change them is to just write them down.

Let me give you a few examples:

A thread claiming a console version of a game runs better than the PC version based on a single unverifiable instance

A thread claiming graphical superiority by making completely false assumptions and wrong FLOPS calculations

A thread claiming that Donald Trump did not lie when he clearly was

A thread predicting 150m Xbox One sales because Crackdown looks awesome

A thread saying everyone who is giving BOTW less than a 9/10 is a hater

None of those threads are up for debate because they're ludicrous in the first place. It's easy really. If your claims in a thread can be verifiably refuted within the first 3 posts it's obvious that the thread content isn't worth it and the thread should be closed. They go way beyond innocent predictions. They're pure nonsense and do not deserve a public platform on a site that pretends to be neutral.

I'm all about thread quality. I'm not particulary a great writer and "poster" myself (specially because I'm not an English native speaker so I have some difficulties with the language). So I avoid to make them. I don't think I have the proper knowledge to do that. I think everyone should know about their limitations and avoid to make some...questionable threads. Sorry, I don't think that's against "freedom of speech", but there are some threads that are truly offensive XD.. I'm all about moderation in forums, and the harsher, the better.

RolStoppable said:
No mention of proper spelling and grammar in thread titles?

Threads about Youtube videos tend to be the worst from a content perspective. In most cases the videos are longer than ten minutes, but the OP can't be bothered to provide a summary of the bullet points. In most cases the video also represents a poor argument that is considered a good argument by the OP, because the OP tends to be a person who can't put together anything by himself. Such threads are wasting the community's time.

I agree that the mod actions are too inconsequential. Too often there are only thread locks, even for well-known offenders. As if it would be any problem to justify a ban for spamming for someone like LivingMetal.

I would count that under low quality. It sounds petty but it is very infuriating to me as well. Wrong spelling in a thread title is yet another sign that creators aren't even having a second look at what they do. I included it now in the description of Quality content.

It gets even worse when they try to justify it by being on their phone. I mean WTF? If you can't guarantee quality in your thread then don't fucking make a thread.

LivingMetal made enough obvious dupes to warrant a revocation of his thread making rights. I wonder if he was even warned once about this.

Volterra_90 said:
I'm all about thread quality. I'm not particulary a great writer and "poster" myself (specially because I'm not an English native speaker so I have some difficulties with the language). So I avoid to make them. I don't think I have the proper knowledge to do that. I think everyone should know about their limitations and avoid to make some...questionable threads. Sorry, I don't think that's against "freedom of speech", but there are some threads that are truly offensive XD.. I'm all about moderation in forums, and the harsher, the better.

That's the level of common sense I would like to see from everybody. There is no reason to give bad content a platform. I mean even Sony doesn't let every bad game on their store front. At least most of the time.

I got banned once because I criticized someone for his lack of quality in his thread.