By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you have any "ex-favorite" franchises in gaming, and what made you lose interest in them?

mZuzek said:

@OP, you suck. Breath of the Wild is awesome and you haven't even played it.

Just got my Switch, will probably get the game this week. I know the game is great, but it's just not what I want from a Zelda game, especially because of how long they take to come out. Doesn't mean that I won't enjoy it though, I'm just going to pretend it isn't a Zelda game so my heart doesn't break in half while I play it.

Edit: Forgot to add, OR/AS was the only time I've ever sold a game without barely playing it. I was excited to play Gen 3 for the first time but when I actually got it, I played it for 1 hour and never played it again afterwards. It's not that the game is bad, but I had zero interest in playing it again and to this day I still don't get why.

Around the Network

Pokemon: grew out of it after the very first gen.
Call of Duty: lost interest when they strayed away from the WWII setting, but I'm interested to see how the new game will be because of that.
SimCity: EA happened.
RollerCoaster Tycoon: Atari happened.

Though with those last two I'm still religiously playing my favorite entries of those franchises.

Gears of War - they are just cutting tickets from 2008 brilliant idea.

Pokemon. Reason: XY and/or SuMo.

I'm the opposite side with Zelda. After getting TP, I gave up on the series (I bought TP pretty late). Then I played ALBW and BotW and now want more.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

AssCreed, hopefully that will change this week.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Pokémon is the only one I can think of, and it fits more than anything else, too. It started to get a bit stale in the mid-2000's, and that was a bit annoying but not enough to pull me out of it. Then Game Freak decided to bring awesomeness back into the franchise and made an impressive streak of amazing games, and then it just... fucked everything up.

For some reason, it was decided that starting with Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the series would have a new director (Shigeru Ohmori), who just happens to be the worst possible guy to take the franchise forward. His previous notable work involved designing a few 4th gen Pokémon - specifically, he said he relished in making "new evolutions for older Pokémon that people didn't expect", in other words meaning he's the reason we have shit like Magnezone, Lickilicky and the likes. I've no clue who thought it was a good idea to put him in charge, but he has completely ruined the franchise ever since. OR/AS were the worst Pokémon games by miles, and while Sun/Moon are arguably okay and have some nice improvements the series was desperately needing, it also introduced a ton of shitty ideas that sound like they came from a 4-year-old's mind... and the next games are called "Ultra" Sun/Moon... need I say more?

Ugh. Yeah the rant was heavy, but it's because I have so much profound hatred for what this franchise has become, and how quickly it self-destructed after producing its best game (X/Y).

@OP, you suck. Breath of the Wild is awesome and you haven't even played it.

I agree. I think the 2nd generation was the best, but after that it slowly went downhill. X and Y was an exception, this game was absolutely great. I can't tell why I liked it so much, but it had some of that 'feel' of the old games.
OR/AS were probably the worst games, and especially the most disappointing. I had such good memories of Pokémon Emerald, it was my first game and I loved it. They completely messed up with OR/AS. Luckily there was the Delta Episode at the end, I liked that part a lot (good story, nice atmosphere and not too easy.

everything from Blizzard

Paper Mario had a very sad decline. I even though Super Paper Mario was pretty good, but holy shit everything after that

(Formerly RCTjunkie)

TargaryenVers2 said:
Paper Mario had a very sad decline. I even though Super Paper Mario was pretty good, but holy shit everything after that

Honestly surprised it took this long for someone to mention Paper Mario. I'll be honest, Super Paper Mario was the only one I've played, but I loved every second of it. I really need to play the first two someday.

As much as it pains me to say this Metroid, it's been almost 10 years since prime 3 and all we have gotten is a terrible game and a mediocre spin-off. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but I don't think nintendo cares about it anymore.